evodeda Posts: 33
edited July 2018 in Your mountain bikes
Here's my XC Bike...

fWJGmoq.jpg

Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
Formula R1 Brakes
SRAM XX1 Rear Mech / Shifter
SRAM 10-42 Cassette
S1400 Crankset with 34 Tooth Chainring (MRP Wave)
Stans Crest Rims / DT Swiss 240 Hubs (WTB Trailboss Tyres)
Cannondale SAVE Carbon Seatpost
Carbon Bars
Specialized Power Saddle
Lefty PBR 90

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Those lefty forks have been around for long enough now for me to be reasonably confident that they work from a long term ownership viewpoint. And I have never read a bad review about their performance either. :)

But I can't help myself thinking "that's weird!" The problem is mine of course, but it is why I won't be buying a Cannodale with a lefty fork any time soon.

If I ignore the fork, the bike looks really neat, but I'd swap the red saddle for a black one (a matter of colour preference, so it's not a criticism).
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168

But I can't help myself thinking "that's weird!" The problem is mine of course, but it is why I won't be buying a Cannodale with a lefty fork any time soon.

Next time you get a front puncture you'll be wishing you had a lefty.

It may look odd initially but once you are riding then you don't think or notice anything different.

Life is too short to not have tried a lefty fork.

BTW how much does it weigh.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    02GF74 wrote:

Next time you get a front puncture you'll be wishing you had a lefty.

I've seen that assertion before, and I assume it us based upon some difficulty in removing the front wheel. If I had a bolted axle, rim brakes, and mudguards, I can see where you are coming from. But I have a QR front axle, disc brakes and no mudguards, so it only takes a few seconds to remove the front wheel and a few seconds to put it back again. I don't know how many seconds because I haven't timed myself, but I'm guessing at five seconds, not counting turning the bike upside down, another few seconds. Lets say ten seconds tops.

By the way I get loads of punctures, but I never get flats because I run tubeless tyres with sealant in. I've had some difficulty recently in that respect because the tyre itself failed shortly after purchase and it would neither hold sealant nor restrain a tube. But if you want to reduce the interval between flats to years and years, I can recommend tubeless tyres with sealant.
  • evodeda
    I love the weirdness of the lefty.. it does look odd but works very well.

I too run tubeless so don't need to remove the wheels too much so I can't say I've really benefited from lefty in changing a tube!

I'd have no hesitation in buying another bike with a lefty!
  • 02gf74
    With lefty you don't need to remove the wheel, just turn it upside down.
  • evodeda
    Just completed the Solstice 100 Event.. Its a 100 mile mixed terrain event starting and finishing in Northampton, UK. A bit of a tough one tbh. I'd not trained too much so the last 20 miles seemed to go on forever!

The bike went well apart from a few dropped chains. I had a MRP Wave Chainring installed and its seemed to chuck the odd chain, not sure why.

I've since swapped it out for a SRAM X-Sync. Looks good, time will tell if it helps!

i7bxbY2.jpg
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    How do they balance the steering on the Lefty? Seems like it would naturally pull to the er, left?

Also, I know it's an XC bike, but would it not also lean to the left in the air or have some weird gyroscopic effect?

Silly queries aside, it looks like a very nice bike!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • 02gf74
    ^^^^^^ because weight distribution is not symmetrical I ofter wonder if the bike is leaning to one side but not noticed anything when riding.

If you think about it, all bike are non symmetrical as the cassette, freehub, chain, rear and front mech, shifter cable, chainring(s) and heavier rh crank are on one side, disc brake rotors and callipers do equalise weight a bit.

I estimate the drive train is at least 700g sitting on the right hand side.

It would be interesting to measure any lean on a lefty fork based bike and one that isn't for comparison.

There's no gyroscopic weirdness going on.
  • evodeda
    The bike tracks straight, I've never noticed any difference with a lefty.