Discussing bonus with boss - What would you do?

macs
macs Posts: 209
edited July 2018 in The cake stop
So June is bonus month at my work and I got one so that's all good... apart from its less than normal. Nothing was said about it apart from the usual "something extra this month for you". I'm worried it's a reflection of my bosses perception of me and the work I've been doing? Or possibly it's a reflection of the state of the company not being able to afford the same bonuses this year to normal.

Would you have a quiet word with the bosses about it or just take the money and buy a slightly less bling bike?

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    You should be direct but kind about it. Ask him if the reduction reflects the company's performance or the company's perception of yours. He will have no ability to override.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    rather depends if it's a contractual bonus based on specific results or not.

if not - then why wouldn't you raise it with the boss?
    it may be the company hasn't had such a good month/quarter/year and there isn't the money for the "normal" bonuses all round.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,210
    Do they use a formula? My former company had a pot for the bonus and a formula to calculate the split. I think the formula used salary (but in reverse so lower salaried staff got a proportionately bigger bonus) and years of service together with other factors. As I was one of the longest serving staff it ended up that my cut was going down each year partly as others gained a greater 'long service' number and the amount of staff increased but they would always explain that to stop this sort of situation arising.

I think it's possible to raise it as a simple query along the lines of 'thanks for the bonus which is appreciated. I've noticed it is lower than in the past - I'm not complaining but just wanted to check if that's a sign that my performance hasn't been perceived to be as good this year and, if so, could you let me know the areas so that I can work to improve them'.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    The reasons and calculations for the bonus should be available otherwise what's the point?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    rjsterry wrote:
    The reasons and calculations for the bonus should be available otherwise what's the point?
    People might leave.
    For example one place I worked had a formula based around a norm.
    My performance was rated at 120% of the norm, my wages were 95% of the norm.
    They managed to reason/wriggle their way out of it the first year, but not the second. I left.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    PBlakeney wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    People might leave.
    For example one place I worked had a formula based around a norm.
    My performance was rated at 120% of the norm, my wages were 95% of the norm.
    They managed to reason/wriggle their way out of it the first year, but not the second. I left.
    Well, yes. If as a business you try and fob your staff off, then that's what happens.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    How do you feel things are going? First wrt your own year and second for the outfit as a whole. The deputy ceo of a company I know well has just resigned - they are having a crap year and it's getting no better. I think he sees the writing on the wall.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Totally impossible to answer. You may well be a total blockhead who hasn't taken subtle hints about your performance, interpersonal relationships or wotnot. Or you could be one of those people who is blissfully unaware of the overall company performance and still expect the money to flow regardless. On the other hand, some companies will tend to oil the squeaky wheel, so expressing some discontent can help. Your boss could be a dick. Who knows.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,219
    rjsterry wrote:

How naive...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,219
    macs wrote:
    So June is bonus month at my work and I got one so that's all good... apart from its less than normal. Nothing was said about it apart from the usual "something extra this month for you". I'm worried it's a reflection of my bosses perception of me and the work I've been doing? Or possibly it's a reflection of the state of the company not being able to afford the same bonuses this year to normal.

Would you have a quiet word with the bosses about it or just take the money and buy a slightly less bling bike?

I think, if you phrase it rightly, it's fair to ask why it was less than it has previously been.

Depending on how taboo discussing money is (I've worked in a company where they literally told us 'don't ask don't get' with pay, so I would literally ask for more money every week - my current place discussing money is super taboo and happens once a year so you need to be very careful with how you phrase things and when you ask them) you could phrase it in terms of "I'm worried that this is a reflection that you feel my work isn't as good as it has been.'

Ultimately though, the number has been decided, so you'll get what you're given, but I think you're entirely entitled to ask what the thinking was - just phrase it right.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nothing to lose by asking about it. It's not an unreasonable question. Do you know if your colleagues have been similarly disappointed, or is it not that kind of working environment?

As a global company we have a bonus based on a transparent formula taking into account Overall company performance, Operating Division performance, and individual performance, and then a set % of your salary depending on job grade. So once you've had your annual performance review and the company results are out, you can work out yourself what you'll get. Last year's business was hit by a major cockup in S America so this year's bonus is smaller than last. Some years we've done badly but been helped out by Global. Swings and roundabouts.

It's all non-contractual though, so if they decided not to pay it one year there'd be nothing we could do about it. For years we got nothing at all.