Ciao Cunego

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2018 in Pro race
It was his last race today

If you look through is palmares, he was quite the bike rider. I never found him hugely inspiring but he was a big talent, and when he shanked Gibo that was amusing. As only Italian beefs can be.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Cunego wasn’t quite at the level Basso was, but his racing craft was certainly better ... A pro career that dwindled over a decade ... At least Valverde (who could have been considred an equal at one point) has only started to look,past it ...

Regardless, THAT Giro ... Exceptional ... And likely the last time all pink looked good ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    type:epyt wrote:
    Cunego wasn’t quite at the level Basso was, but his racing craft was certainly better ... A pro career that dwindled over a decade ... At least Valverde (who could have been considred an equal at one point) has only started to look,past it ...

Regardless, THAT Giro ... Exceptional ... And likely the last time all pink looked good ...

As a GC rider Basso was better but as a one day rider Cunego was a far better rider than Basso. Basso was a bit of a one trick pony - long climbs - whereas Cunego could climb but also sprint and descend very well and was far more explosive. At his peak he was probably as good as Valverde just Valverde had a much longer peak.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    just drifted out the back unnoticed kinda end of career
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    It was quite a long career too. Always the prince never the king. A bit like charles :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    Is the consensus that he won the Giro in de rigueur fashion, only to chose a more apostolic approach thereafter?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    Is the consensus that he won the Giro in de rigueur fashion, only to chose a more apostolic approach thereafter?

i hear that a lot but who the efff knows

it was an odd and VERY BORING giro ...petacchi won 9 stages (flat flat flattty flat flat giro)

basically no contenders...honchar came second!

cunego mugged simoni
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    He was the 'little prince' as famously threatened by Armstrong. Won 3 x Lombardia (I saw him win his 3rd) and could descend like he was on rails. there is a youtube clip here of him being chased and beaten by a young Sagan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtpQ_7Bj_YM
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253

he went to work with Aldo Sassi at the Mapei centre