Hay fever can do one

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,146
Anyone know if hay fever/allergies tend to flare up AFTER an intense bout of exercise?

My hay fever's been terrible this year but I was managing with some stuff from the pharmacy, but after a 10 TT this afternoon (intense, but only for a short time) my nose has been streaming non stop any my eyes/throat stinging :?

Dr Google says regular exercise helps reduce the effects of hay fever but that's not what I'm finding!

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If you’re breathing more heavily, you’re pulling in more of the allergens than you normally would, hence the reaction is worse. I don’t suffer like I did when I was younger, but if I’m riding right out in the sticks, it can still get interesting. I keep a stock of anti histamines handy just in case.
  • thistle_
    I'm taking the anti histamines, but they seem to have spectacularly failed all of a sudden. I might give the Vaseline a go (plus nose spray), as my nose is sore now anyway. I had a nice little ride planned for this morning but think I need to can it.

Oxo - I wear glasses anyway which help keep the wind (and pollen) out of my eyes. Eyes aren't too bad, it's nose and throat.

I've been doing the local club time trials, and riding to/from work for the last few weeks as normal. Yesterday's was an open and I put a bit more effort in, but still only a 10 and not even a PB.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    oxoman wrote:
    PB,s aren't really worth chasing in this weather,pollen. Another thing we have found with the eldest is last year's antihistamine was centrizine didn't touch him this hear so changed to something else. May be worth trying something else. The glasses you use are they normal frames, if so I find that my work safety wrap around ones stop more dust than my normal specs when riding. Just a thought.

I switch between Cetirizine and Loratadine. When one’s effectiveness wanes, the other takes over.
  • thistle_
    oxoman wrote:
    Another thing we have found with the eldest is last year's antihistamine was centrizine didn't touch him this hear so changed to something else. May be worth trying something else.
    Tried that last year and it did the trick, but I'm on the 3rd different one this year and not helping. I say not helping, the 3rd lot were better but I was still affected morning/evening until yesterday when everything went crazy. I think I'll go back to Boots tomorrow and see what they say.

I'm still feeling ropey today, so not sure if it was the race that caused it or not. I've been for an MTB ride and was fine - until I started driving home then it all kicked off again. I've also used the nose spray, and Vaselined up my nostrils :mrgreen:
    oxoman wrote:
    The glasses you use are they normal frames
    Yeah normal frame, but they do do an OK job of keeping the wind (and dirt) out of my eyes so better than nothing. I'm too blind for prescription wrap arounds.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I normally take whatever over the counter medicine is cheapest, but this year it's not worked. I switched from Certizine to Loratadine which has improved things somewhat. I also take a double dose on bad days.

I think another contributor is most bike rides take me through some fields and countryside, where I take on loads of pollen.

I'm also finding I need more unblocker spray just to sleep.