Moorland Fires Near Manchester

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited July 2018 in The cake stop
Seeing as this fire situation on the moors near Manchester is getting beyond the capabilities of our fire crews. Why haven't the UK asked the French or Spanish governments to assist with their water bombers? Or better still use RAF Chinooks with those huge water buckets?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Seeing as this fire situation on the moors near Manchester is getting beyond the capabilities of our fire crews. Why haven't the UK asked the French or Spanish governments to assist with their water bombers? Or better still use RAF Chinooks with those huge water buckets?
    They are using RAF Chinnooks. Well, at least one has gone up.
    I think it's more strategy and method, rather than numbers. Some USA or Australian support may be more relevant.
  • mr_goo
    mrfpb wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    They are using RAF Chinnooks. Well, at least one has gone up.
    I think it's more strategy and method, rather than numbers. Some USA or Australian support may be more relevant.

Trump would never sanction any assistance as he quite rightly believes the US do enough in the UK with defence. Australia too far away.
    Back to our excellent but good old fashioned fire service trying to put out a raging rural fire with beaters. Marvellous.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    But Goo, thanks to you and yours, we have taken back control and thrown off the shackles of reliance on support from those pesky Europeans, wot wiv their expertise and equipment and that... Good old Brit beaters best.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Leave it to the experts eh Goo? If you've no idea and experience of the work of fire-fighting why the hell would you query it?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Leave it to the experts eh Goo? If you've no idea and experience of the work of fire-fighting why the hell would you query it?
    This.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo

I query the fighting methods and the UKs lack of hardware resources for tackling rural fire on this scale.
    We are quick enough as a country to send assistance to those in need. Yet in return we get b***er all when we need a bit of help.

BTW for those pro EU this topic is not another In/Out argument as some want to turn it into.
  • mr_goo
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    This.
    Stevo. I question the response to the event because to ME it seems we could do with some aerial hardware to help our fire fighters. As they do in every country where there are occurrences of large and hard to fight rural bush, forest and heathland fires.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It's not unusual for bush fires and forest fires to last this long in countries where there is a high level of expertise and infrastructure to deal with them. As far as I'm aware, mosrvresidents were made safe asap on the first day, its now about minimising property damage.
    And you are trying to score political points with your comments about Trump and other (EU) nations not helping.
    If you wish to continue arguing from a position of ignorance, go ahead. Just don't whine when you get a negative response.
  • Stevo_666
    mrfpb wrote:
    It's not unusual for bush fires and forest fires to last this long in countries where there is a high level of expertise and infrastructure to deal with them. As far as I'm aware, mosrvresidents were made safe asap on the first day, its now about minimising property damage.
    And you are trying to score political points with your comments about Trump and other (EU) nations not helping.
    If you wish to continue arguing from a position of ignorance, go ahead. Just don't whine when you get a negative response.
    This as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They've definitely been using helicopters to douse the flames with water.

As has been said fires like this last for weeks in places that are used to them and have the expertise.

I like this idea of European cooperation though. Maybe we should join some organisation.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    They could bat the flames back using blue passports.

One sight of those mighty documents and even the most torrid of flames will head off crying.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Burning of moorland vegetation needs to be very carefully controlled as the peat itself can catch fire, and this can be difficult if not impossible to extinguish

Fort McMurray — After 458 days, the Horse River fire that destroyed thousands of homes and scattered tens of thousands of people across Canada is finally dead.

Even after the fire was declared under control on July 4, 2016, embers burned throughout the area during the fall. As the days grew colder, it burned underground and remained there throughout winter.

When a fire burns as long and as intensely as the Horse River fire, it is not unusual for a fire to smoulder underground during the winter, feeding off peat and dead vegetation, before returning to the surface in the spring.
    They could bat the flames back using blue passports.

One sight of those mighty documents and even the most torrid of flames will head off crying.

:lol:
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I thought Chimera was on his way to assist laden with litres of southern spring water to douse the northern moors! If only there was a way to stop it rubbing his legs he would be there already.
  • Stevo_666
    Sandyballs wrote:
    I thought Chimera was on his way to assist laden with litres of southern spring water to douse the northern moors! If only there was a way to stop it rubbing his legs he would be there already.
    :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    It’s about containing first isn’t it? I remember as a kid in ‘76 a moorland fire on the Blorenge (top of The Tumble) burning for months as the peat caught fire. I’m sure our fire services know the best strategy for dealing with this type of fire which is probably very different to the typical brush fires in Southern Europe, the US, Oz etc.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Mr Goo wrote:

We don't want your citizens taking our jobs, we don't want your trade, we don't want your European Court of Justice holding HMG to account when they act illegally , we don't want your EU parliament diluting or imposing new regulatory reform or laws on our citizens

BUT

Can we borrow some of your fire fight equipment as some Brexit voting cunt* has set fire to some moorland.

What do you think their answer would be?

* The arsonist must have to have voted for Brexit as he's proved himself thick as shit for (a) starting the fire (b) getting caught.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

We don't want your citizens taking our jobs, we don't want your trade, we don't want your European Court of Justice holding HMG to account when they act illegally , we don't want your EU parliament diluting or imposing new regulatory reform or laws on our citizens

BUT

Can we borrow some of your fire fight equipment as some Brexit voting ***** has set fire to some moorland.

* The arsonist must have to have voted for Brexit as he's proved himself thick as shoot for (a) starting the fire (b) getting caught.
    Calm down, we've already go a Brexit thread :wink:
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

BUT

Can we borrow some of your fire fight equipment as some Brexit voting ***** has set fire to some moorland.

* The arsonist must have to have voted for Brexit as he's proved himself thick as shoot for (a) starting the fire (b) getting caught.

Did you have a good break Stevo?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Let it burn - hopefully it will destroy the north of england - if there is anything there worth destroying.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    Fishy non gender specific person, are you trying to pick elf a fight with absolutely everyone? Or are your bot operating parameters set too wide?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

BUT

Also started by you know who. Coincidence? I think not.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mr Goo wrote:

They are using helicopters.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.