Felt vr 30 vs cannondale synapse

Wutang2
Wutang2 Posts: 8
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
So I narrowed t down between two bikes. Both will be the same price. The issue is I'm not familiar with felt bikes and really can't find any reviews on this model felt. The number one difference is the felt has hydraulic brakes and the cannondale does not. Besides that and cannondale has a better crank I think I have no clue which is better. Felt also has room for way bigger tires also. I have ridden both bikes and both are very comfy. The felt is more upright and relaxed. Both have 105. I am leaning towards the felt mainly because it has the better brakes and I can notice a big difference right away with that also. Just not sure if the specs are as good as connondale which I assume it is.

http://m.feltbicycles.com/productcatalo ... 1/10171467

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... =undefined

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Buy the one you like best, otherwise you’ll regret your choice. Both are good bikes, just get the one you like the look of. I’ve a 2017 Carbon Synapse disc, takes 28mm tyres easily, probably take 32s, can’t fault it, averaging over a 100 miles a week this year just on that bike
  • Wutang2
    I agree. Just trying tic carch a good deal and get the best bike.
  • Wutang2
    Ended up picking up a vr5. Got a great deal on it and said hell with it. Honestly I was not looking to spend this much but the price was right, I like the color and it rides really nice.
  • jrasero
    jrasero Posts: 2
    Wutang2 said:

So I narrowed t down between two bikes. Both will be the same price. The issue is I'm not familiar with felt bikes and really can't find any reviews on this model felt. The number one difference is the felt has hydraulic brakes and the cannondale does not. Besides that and cannondale has a better crank I think I have no clue which is better. Felt also has room for way bigger tires also. I have ridden both bikes and both are very comfy. The felt is more upright and relaxed. Both have 105. I am leaning towards the felt mainly because it has the better brakes and I can notice a big difference right away with that also. Just not sure if the specs are as good as connondale which I assume it is.

http://m.feltbicycles.com/productcatalo ... 1/10171467

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... =undefined

This winter had the same choice: 2018 Felt VR3 or 2019 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc SE Ultegra. Roughly the same MSRP but both on sale for $1900-$2000. Both mechanical Ultegra and both 18lbs plus change but where they differ is that the Felt comes with a 48/32 subcompact crank while the Cannondale has a more traditional 50/34 crank, meaning the Synapse for some could be faster on the flats but the VR more capable on the hills. The VR3 comes with 28mm tires but can fit upwards of 35mm tires while the Synapse comes with 30mm tires but maxes out at 32mm tire clearance. While both bikes are endurance bikes the VR brings comfort via positioning the seat stays to sit on either side of the seat tube and removed the brake bridge to create more compliance while the Synapse's larger stock tires and flex seat post help to create more comfort. The VR has a more upright position with taller head tubes and shorter top tubes, but that isn't to say the bike isn't fast, it just isn't a race or aero bike.

In the end both are great bikes and either one would have been a great choice but I decided to go with the Felt VR3 due to it being $100 cheaper and I liked the highlighter green and raw carbon look better. Plus with the slack geometry the bike can be slammed and still be very comfortable for most people
  • Holy thread revival Batman.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I have a Felt VR30. Whilst I live it I’d never buy another one or any Felt for that matter. So far I’ve replaced: Saddle twice; wheels as the bearings are rubbish and lasted 9 months; BB twice as original failed within weeks and replacement lasted 10 months before creaking and then eating crank axle; crankset because BB ate away at the axel.

Apart from that it’s a lovely bike and does what I gotta ant of it. My next new bike will only be a Giant if some sort. I’ve got a Defy and my wife has a Rapid and both have been flawless and trouble free for many years.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.