Roberts Eroica Restoration

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited June 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Here's my Roberts bike that I rode in last years Eroica, (and will in this this years).
First couple of pics are from when I got it (given to me by a friend who was keen to see it used again). Other pics are after a good clean, polish and refreshing of the cables, handlebar tape etc. Still need to touch up some of the paint and service the bottom bracket as it started squeaking after about 17 miles. (Anyone know how to get the cranks off, they are campag and have a funny cover on them).
f6PmlNU.jpg

tFvNSgC.jpg

0YNC0Fz.jpg

z7Z6YE9.jpg

Comments

• The dust cap for the cranks needs to be unscrewed... some have an Allen key slot, other have two holes for a 2-pin tool, which ifyou don't have it, you can make it up with something else.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Go to your local tool factor and get some circling pliers - fit perfectly.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/circlip-pli ... ieces.html
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    WofLpH5.jpg

Managed to find some time to look at the Roberts bottom bracket. See pic. I have the circlip pliers, but the ring only rotates a little in either direction before it seems to lock again, so I can't remove it.
    The 7mm hex won't unscrew without the ring out by the feel of it.
    Am I missing something, or just need more force behind getting the ring off?
  • Hi, That looks like a self extracting bolt. Try undoing the Allen bolt, it should initially loosen then feel tight again, just keep turning and the crank arm should come off.
  • philcubed
    Thanks, I'll give that a go. Rode Eroica on it at the weekend, and the high pitched squeal from the bottom bracket sounded like I had a small kettle boiling!
  • Any luck with that dustcap?
  • philcubed
    Not had chance yet, got a bit distracted by a 1930s Hercules that a friend gave me...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Those look like Campag Victory cranks. I had some originally in 1991 as a triple on my touring bike (later swapped for narrower spaced Veloce triple more suitable for nine-speed). Mine have normal crank bolts and dust cap and English BB. But a bit of internet research reveals some did come with self-extracting bolts so it looks like Lumpypickle is right. Pix of those self-extracting ones look like yours. You do need to establish whether you have English or Italian BB. Something I saw on internet suggests the self-extractors were all left hand thread to loosen - i.e. Italian BB.