Good buy for 790 euro / 700 pounds?

pvester
pvester Posts: 7
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
I managed to get a deal of 790 euro on this bike, is it a good deal? (its cheaper than on the danish webpage)

https://www.cphbikeshop.dk/trek-x-calib ... erloo-blue

Specs:
Alpha Gold Aluminium, G2-geometry
•Front Fork: RockShox 30 Silver, air, preload, rebound, TurnKey lockout, E2 konisk styrrør, G2 geometri m. 51 mm offset på 29'ere, 100 mm vandring (13,5: 80 mm vandring)
•Tires: Bontrager XR2, 29x2,20˝ (13,5 & 15,5: 27,5x2,20˝)
•Gear: Shimano Deore XT, Shadow
•Weight: 17.5" - 13.06 kg / 28.80 lbs

It looks like a good air based fork and XT gears. A bit concerned about the tires, but i guess its not too expensive to upgrade.

Also should i go for size 17.5 or 18.5 for a 175 cm tall person?

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    Look at sizing and fit section here, I would say 18.5 but check your leg length and reach to make sure its not too tall or long for you:

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... 8/p/21577/

Value I think its ok perhaps a little better priced than other similar bikes, seems like a decent cross country bike.
  • pvester
    pvester Posts: 7
    Okay so 17.5 is 164-177 cm
    18.5 is 170-178

What is best for a beginner? Small or big size
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    Its a matter of preference, some prefer larger some prefer smaller. I personally prefer larger bikes because I have long legs for my height. You can make small adjustments like move seat up/down/forward/backwards. The handle bars can be tilted forwards and backwards to improve comfort.

If you are unsure what you need, I suggest visiting a bike shop and sitting on a few bikes. The Trek preferably however if its not available sit on a few different bikes of different sizes. You can then go home and compare bike geometry and size with the Trek which will help to understand the differences. If you do this, make sure you look at the bike geometry specification on the manufacture website, every bike will have a chart with some numbers.