Good, Breathable Waterproof Jacket for 10km Commute

4xsama
4xsama Posts: 26
edited June 2018 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I'm after a good, waterproof (or at least very water resistant) breathable jacket for my commute. The commute is in Sydney so it gets a bit cold in winter but not UK cold. On a dry winters morning I ride with arm and leg warmers, Castelli gloves and a wind proof vest (mesh at the back). An all but the really coldest mornings this is ok.

For a jacket, breathability is paramount. Windproof is good, waterproof is preferred but given the ride is only 10km/30 minutes, something which keeps me reasonably dry will be ok. I'm actually thinking I just put up with getting wet but as I am a bit of a wuss, decided a waterproof is better.

I'll also use the jacket for MTB.

Andrew

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you don't wear a backpack look at the hire shakedry. The most breathable jacket I've found.
  • 4xsama
    cougie wrote:
    If you don't wear a backpack look at the hire shakedry. The most breathable jacket I've found.

Whoops - I should have mentioned I wear a Back Pack.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just get wet. IMO unless it's <5 degrees even the most breathable jacket will leave you sweatier than getting wet. Fit mudguards; the vast majority of water comes as spray from the roads, not from the sky.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I commute year round in the uk, 40 miles per day and I think last winter I wore my waterproof jacket twice.

For a 10km commute, it would need to be horrific to wear a proper jacket, and if that was the case I'd just chuck a cheap one on. 10km is what 20-25mins?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 4xsama
    prawny wrote:
    I commute year round in the uk, 40 miles per day and I think last winter I wore my waterproof jacket twice.

For a 10km commute, it would need to be horrific to wear a proper jacket, and if that was the case I'd just chuck a cheap one on. 10km is what 20-25mins?

10km is for me 25-30 mins. I want to get it down to sub 25.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    For truly waterproof....Gore Goretex jacket

For water resistant...Gore windproof

The waterproof one is about as good as you are going to regarding breathability whilst wearing a rucksack. At sub 25 minutes for 10K you are still going to sweat a bit but it won't be too bad, and you keep warm.

I am slowly moving towards the water resistant one and just putting up with possibly getting a bit wet. Breathability is much better, almost up with a non water resistant jacket. Mine also has zip off arms, perfect for days when it is 10 degrees on the way in and 25+ degrees going home.

Going to try a shakedry, but I use a pannier. Reckon a shakedry would last a week with a rucksack!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Just get something that keeps you warm and is a bit breathable and keep a packable rain jacket in a bag/pocket for showers/cold winds.

I'm doubtful anything that's truly breathable and waterproof exists.