FulGaz. Please, please, please will someone help me get it to work.

Right. I'm on my second FulGaz trial. I know it's summer but the way it's going I still won't have it working come Christmas.

Running the app on my phone. Works great but videos take an age to download. I can live with that and picture quality looks great.

I can connect to big TV by mirroring and using a Firestick. Works fine but picture quality is very poor.

So, my best bet is to connect with HDMI which is what FulGaz recommend. So I bought a cable. Not Apple but a recommended one. Won't work. When I connect I lose video on the phone and on the TV. Everything else works; sound, ride feel, numbers, all ok just no video which us the whole point.

I've wasted hours and am no further forward. Mike of FulGaz gas been brilliant but no real use.

I know there was a glitch in connection with an Apple update recently but apparently that's been sorted.

FWIW Zwift works great with HDMI. So I've ruled out a problem with cable.

Any ideas? It's driving me mad.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Interesting... the football was a bit boring so i thought i would give it a go...

Connected my ipad mini v2 with the official apple lightning to hdmi device. Thats the expensive one! And a 6 meter hdmi lead to the second hdmi port on my tv. Fulgaz works perfectly both on the ipad and the tv. The only difference from you is that i did not download the ride. My internet here is good enough that i dont have to. My humble opinion is that any connector other than the official apple one is likely to give problems either now or in the future. It seems to be the way those awfully nice apple people do their business...

Hope that helps you to get it sorted. If only missus would let me use the lounge!
  • Mikey, there's so much mixed info about these cables. I was reliably informed it didn't need to be an Apple one. If I buy an Apple one and it still doesn't work I'll be so annoyed.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Apple issue isn't sorted and I'm not sure they have any intention to sort it. My set up with an iPad connected via a lightening to HDMI lead to a 40" screen for Sufferfest worked fine until the upgrade to iOS. Now it won't work with the iPad or iPhone. I'm loathed to spend £50 on an Apple lead just to see if that works. Typical Apple doing their usual thing of cornering the market and blocking competition. I'm lucky in that I have a desk top PC I can use with ANT+ but it required reconfiguring the wiring so I can watch Sky Q and MGP/cycling on the second screen.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    The Apple issue isn't sorted and I'm not sure they have any intention to sort it. My set up with an iPad connected via a lightening to HDMI lead to a 40" screen for Sufferfest worked fine until the upgrade to iOS. Now it won't work with the iPad or iPhone. I'm loathed to spend £50 on an Apple lead just to see if that works. Typical Apple doing their usual thing of cornering the market and blocking competition. I'm lucky in that I have a desk top PC I can use with ANT+ but it required reconfiguring the wiring so I can watch Sky Q and MGP/cycling on the second screen.

Jesus H Christ. This is driving me nuts.

Having read the reply from Mikey and an email response from FulGaz, I've wasted another two hours this morning.

I just have no idea WTF the issue is. Like you, I'm loathed to spend £50 on an Apple cable but I would if I could be assured 100% it would work.

The confusion is made worse as Mike of FulGaz says the problem is now sorted.

Could it be that the problem is only sorted if you're using an official Apple product and he is?

Is the problem still there?

God knows.

Phil, when did you last try? Mike at FulGaz says the problem was resolved earlier this week?

Why doesn't this stuff just work?
  • For the techies out there. Surely if my cable/phone/TV combo works perfectly with Zwift that means the issue is with FulGaz?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Give up and use Zwift.
  • Mikey23
    Dont know what the solution is to your problem.bud. Was only pointing out that fulgaz works on my setup. As does zwift, isingworship, youtube et al. So if no issues with fulgaz software for me, none reported currently by anyone else, and mike clucas says its fixed then i suspect its fixed.

By deduction, the other links in your chain are your tv, your hdmi cable or your connector...
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Dont know what the solution is to your problem.bud. Was only pointing out that fulgaz works on my setup. As does zwift, isingworship, youtube et al. So if no issues with fulgaz software for me, none reported currently by anyone else, and mike clucas says its fixed then i suspect its fixed.

By deduction, the other links in your chain are your tv, your hdmi cable or your connector...

Mikey, very grateful for your help. There was an issue (Mike Clucas was aware) which is apparently now fixed. Your experience suggests so.

I've changed HDMI cable and TV so the likely culprit is the non Apple connector. But I can't be certain.

Maybe I should just go for Apple TV. Or is that just asking for more hassle?
  • Mikey23
    ;-)
  • Mikey23
    https://www.cultofmac.com/218192/apples ... le-secret/

Found this on the net. Didnt realise that the apple connectors have a tiny ARM chip and 2 gig of ram doing all the clever conversion stuff. Kind of explains why they are so expensive and that some of the cheaper ones may not. Doesnt help with you prob but ....
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Is apple TV out of your budget?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Is apple TV out of your budget?

Hi Bender. Apple TV isn't out of my budget. Indeed it seems the best solution in terms of VFM. A genuine Apple cable to connect my phone to the TV is about £50. I've seen 4th Gen Apple TVs on eBay brand new for just over £100 so for the extra £50-£60 that seems the way forward.

Problem is I'm already sick of faffing about with technology that doesn't do what it says on the tin and I'm dreading Apple TV throwing up more techy issues.

I'm not a technophobe. I just like stuff to work as it should and I resent wasting time trying to get stuff to work. I'm also quite old and as you get older this stuff becomes more annoying and more challenging.

The Apple TV is looking like it has to be the next step. Then to decide if I need 4K as I won't be using it with a 4K TV.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Apple TV 4k has more grunt, giving better performance now and/or better future-proofing - budget permitting, be daft not to buy that in my view, regardless of the target TV.
  • rdt wrote:
    Apple TV 4k has more grunt, giving better performance now and/or better future-proofing - budget permitting, be daft not to buy that in my view, regardless of the target TV.

Yes. I think you're right. For the sake of the extra £40 or so it seems the right move. Just a pity that the cable option was such a failure.