Route - Fareham to Havant

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited June 2018 in Commuting general
Commute going Havant to Fareham "inland" is fairly quiet in the morning - not much in the way of traffic, but the return journey at peak time (~1700) means 100s of close passes even when using the cycle "lane" - and the lanes frequently stop or take you to a non-priority junction where you have to stand a wait for someone to let you across ...
Does anyone know a more coastal route - happy with cyclepaths if they're not too stop/start - probably resulting in being able to get to Farlington Marshes to pick up the cyclepath there.

tia

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The "old" A27 is as coastal as it gets. I assume you're doing something like the Havant Road from the Rusty Cutter roundabout, through Drayton to Cosham and then Southampton Road to Fareham. There's nothing - that isn't through residential - that runs south.

Personally I'd be doing Portsdown Hill and dropping down into the Cams traffic lights. Traffic up there tends to be more respectful and it's a nice ride without the stop/start of the Havant/Southampton Road combo. Not to mention the fitness benefits.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • slowbike
    Hmm - I've driven the PDH outside commute times - not sure I'd be happy to recommend it - quite narrow and a lot of cars.

Old A27 is mostly (crappy) cyclepaths ... I appreciate that getting over to Port Solent leaves very little option unless you go north along Portsview / Jubilee and Allaway Ave - issue is that once you get to the A3 (southampton road) it gets very busy and some major roundabouts/junctions to navigate - ok when you're happy doing 20-25mph, not so ok when you're doing considerably less.

the aim is to try and find a reasonably direct route without holding up traffic ..
  • slowbike
    hmm - may have just found a route - from Allaway ave - turn south by Beacon View school to the A27 - bit of jiggery around there - pick up a cycle path past IBM and follow it around the wrong way around Portsbridge Roundabout (top of London road) - then cut across Hilsea - either on cycle path or road to Eastern Road...
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Slowbike wrote:
    hmm - may have just found a route - from Allaway ave - turn south by Beacon View school to the A27 - bit of jiggery around there - pick up a cycle path past IBM and follow it around the wrong way around Portsbridge Roundabout (top of London road) - then cut across Hilsea - either on cycle path or road to Eastern Road...

See PM.

Consider following your advice, but aim for NCN 22 https://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/61213080/#map

Start and ends are guessed.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...