tuesday leads inevitably to thoughts of pineapple

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,437
edited June 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

gym, cafe, wfh, early bail for assignation at the bubbly bar and then onwards to dinner
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, looks good out again, dog to walk, bike to ride, outside tap to fit for the sister in law , then catching a few rays
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stunning day out there. Have day off but a few chores to run this morning so will pop past the gym and get a weights sesh in then try and get an hour on the bike.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Also off today for the youngest rugrats last ever sports day :(

Had a nice jog with dog (JWD) and off to school soon. After a picnic surrounded by good eye candy but annoying cows back home and a visit to the local is in order
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Dogged by fine weather again. First will be a bit of cleaning followed by a bike ride. Might go tent buying if I have anytime later.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Glorious out there, unfortunately I'm in here. Very pleasant for the ride in though. Today should be a bit quieter than yesterday, at least I hope so. Someone was saying yesterday was tit Monday, that's not a good thing in the wilds of Hanworth. It was great once I got back to civilisation though.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning,

I'm not sure if swimming or running is a greater sin but the GF and I donned wetsuits and swam in a local loch last night, arms are killing me today. Now I swim, run and cycle. God help me.

GF is panicking a bit as the hound has a sore on his leg which looks like all the scary Alabama rot facebook posts, she's taking him to the vet in a minute. My guess is it's a graze from zooming around on the beach last night, or from where he's been itching when he was swarmed by midges

Edit, and it's new cars all round this week, she's picking up a 1.6tdi audi a3 with 40k on the clock this evening, despite it being worth just less than half her salary... :roll:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Weather's not too bad here either, though I hear its just as hot in London. We're off out to catch a bit of Cyprus culture and history, followed by the pool later. Fortunately the hotel has a great policy of allocating everyone a parasol and set of loungers on arrival which are yours for the week, which saves me having to resort to dirty tactics to beat our continental friends to the sunbeds :)
    https://youtu.be/LuIJqF8av6I
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning,

Nice day spoilt by having to go to work.

Came in and had a letter from British Cycling on my desk which was odd. Turned out it was the waterproof phone bag from that "ride for 5 hours" challenge a while ago.

Knees and elbows are a bit black and sore from yesterday's rock encounter.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Fortunately the hotel has a great policy of allocating everyone a parasol and set of loungers on arrival which are yours for the week, which saves me having to resort to dirty tactics to beat our continental friends to the sunbeds :)

What a good idea. Though in my experience, the fcuking brits are the worst. Mum, dad, 3 foul kids, both sets of grandparents, aunt Sue, uncle Tony, 4 enormous fcuking inflatables, and they all have to have adjoining sunbeds, right by the pool, so they can get on everyone's fcuking tits all day as they smoke their way through 40 Lambert & Butler each. Last year in Tenerife, the hotel locked up the sunbeds in big stacks overnight, unlocking them at 9 a.m. each day. There were brits standing like bovine statues where they wanted to put their sunbeds from 7 a.m. I sh*t you not. People would stand there, dribbling slightly on their shoes, for 2 hours, so they could park their fcuking sunbeds where they wanted. My fault for going on a cheap holiday I suppose.

Lovely morning, had a bit of a race with a woman.
  • haydenm
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Fortunately the hotel has a great policy of allocating everyone a parasol and set of loungers on arrival which are yours for the week, which saves me having to resort to dirty tactics to beat our continental friends to the sunbeds :)

What a good idea. Though in my experience, the fcuking brits are the worst. Mum, dad, 3 foul kids, both sets of grandparents, aunt Sue, uncle Tony, 4 enormous fcuking inflatables, and they all have to have adjoining sunbeds, right by the pool, so they can get on everyone's fcuking tits all day as they smoke their way through 40 Lambert & Butler each. Last year in Tenerife, the hotel locked up the sunbeds in big stacks overnight, unlocking them at 9 a.m. each day. There were brits standing like bovine statues where they wanted to put their sunbeds from 7 a.m. I sh*t you not. People would stand there, dribbling slightly on their shoes, for 2 hours, so they could park their fcuking sunbeds where they wanted. My fault for going on a cheap holiday I suppose.

I was going to say I found your problem but you covered it :wink:

I had a similar experience staying in the very cheapest hotel we could find in Tenerife but we were there for cycling and it was March so fairly quiet. It was a bit like a tower block council estate but sunny. On the plus side all the chubbers loved the horrible UK style food leaving all the delicious paella/freshly cooked fish for us. Oh, and the alcohol was free. I get around this now by not going on holiday with peasants, and washing my hands after any encounter with them. Horrid.
  • hopkinb
    Jeebus, what fun there is to be had buying a bottom bracket. How do I know what size gxp bb I need? 68mm/73mm/83mm? I'm going with English thread, but how do I know the size without taking the old one out?

Also stocking up on chains, lubes, gt85 etc.
  • veronese68
    hopkinb wrote:
    Jeebus, what fun there is to be had buying a bottom bracket. How do I know what size gxp bb I need? 68mm/73mm/83mm? I'm going with English thread, but how do I know the size without taking the old one out?

Also stocking up on chains, lubes, gt85 etc.
    68mm
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    68mm

Ta. Done. If I can't get the old one off, I'll knocking on your door!
  • hopkinb
    HaydenM wrote:
    I had a similar experience staying in the very cheapest hotel we could find in Tenerife but we were there for cycling and it was March so fairly quiet. It was a bit like a tower block council estate but sunny. On the plus side all the chubbers loved the horrible UK style food leaving all the delicious paella/freshly cooked fish for us. Oh, and the alcohol was free. I get around this now by not going on holiday with peasants, and washing my hands after any encounter with them. Horrid.

Yup, similar experience, especially with the food, which was fine; always some freshly grilled meat or fish, some kind of stewed chicken/rabbit/pork, vegetables, salads, fruit etc. Everyone in the place ate nuggets, chips, pasta, beans, bread, ice cream, cake. I mean, people are free to eat what they want, and they were on holiday, but it brought it home to me in my liberal-metropolitan-remainer-elite bubble why the NHS is creaking due to obesity & related pathologies.

The booze was a weird one - free, but also seemingly alcohol-free. You could drink the beer all day and just get a headache without ever feeling even slightly intoxicated. Even the spirits had no oomph, and the wine was dilute paint stripper. I eventually went to the happy dinosaur and bought a slab of cans of the same local brew for a handful of €, but which actually tasted nice and had some booze in it.
  • haydenm
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Yup, similar experience, especially with the food, which was fine; always some freshly grilled meat or fish, some kind of stewed chicken/rabbit/pork, vegetables, salads, fruit etc. Everyone in the place ate nuggets, chips, pasta, beans, bread, ice cream, cake. I mean, people are free to eat what they want, and they were on holiday, but it brought it home to me in my liberal-metropolitan-remainer-elite bubble why the NHS is creaking due to obesity & related pathologies.

The booze was a weird one - free, but also seemingly alcohol-free. You could drink the beer all day and just get a headache without ever feeling even slightly intoxicated. Even the spirits had no oomph, and the wine was dilute paint stripper. I eventually went to the happy dinosaur and bought a slab of cans of the same local brew for a handful of €, but which actually tasted nice and had some booze in it.

I fall into the liberal-metropolitan-remainer-elite bubble but then find myself looking down on peasants, and using the word peasant. I tell myself I'm joking but I'm starting to doubt myself... :lol:

The alcohol at our place may have been watered down but we certainly didn't notice. We did between 2000m and 4300m climbing every day and my HR was through the roof for nearly all of it due to riding with someone who actually trains. Big mistake. Made up for it with alcohol. Even bigger mistake.
  • Matthewfalle
    TDV just called to say she has bought a flat.

Does anyone know where? Or why?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb

Nuneaton.

To store corpses.
  • veronese68
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    68mm
    Don't take too long about it I'll be on holiday in just over a week from now.
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    68mm
    No tearing hurry, I knew you were off soon.
  • veronese68
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    68mm
    No tearing hurry, I knew you were off soon.
    I can leave you the tools if you want.
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:

I should buy some quality long armed hex wrenches anyway, or at least something with a decent amount of leverage which I can stick different size heads on. Like a socket set, but for hex/allen heads. Must go and have a mooch somewhere they sell tools.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I should buy some quality long armed hex wrenches anyway, or at least something with a decent amount of leverage which I can stick different size heads on. Like a socket set, but for hex/allen heads. Must go and have a mooch somewhere they sell tools.

I use a Facom 1/4 ratchet with a set of these from B&Q: really nicely made, work perfect.

https://www.diy.com/departments/magnuss ... 092_BQ.prd

Just be careful when doing up as you can easily put too much pressure on the bolt.

Stuff like this is also good.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/magnuss ... 174_BQ.prd

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

Nuneaton.

To store corpses.

Aren't they all zombies in Nuneaton anyway?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Overheard conversation of the day at Edwyn's

Bloke: Oh, excuse me. Sorry to hear about your losss.
    Woman: Sorry?
    Bloke: Your loss. sorry to hear about it.
    Woman: What loss?
    Bloke. The death.
    Woman: What death?
    bloke: Your husband. He's dead.
    Woman: Is he? Are you sure? I let him in the car outside. He was fine when I left him 5 minutes ago. I've only popped in for some butter.
    Bloke: Errr, you are Mrs C aren't you?
    Woman: No, that's my sister, Ethel.

Made my day.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Lovely morning, had a bit of a race with a woman.
    If you hadn't said it, I would have :wink: It's worth shelling out a bit more to avoid the tracksuited underclass.

Even the Russians are pretty civilised here. I haven't even seen any Germans with those 'fitted' beach towels that fit over the sun loungers like fitted sheets on a bed :D Main problem is avoiding eating too much, although at least I can do a bit more exercise and drinking after Strifey and Stropteen go home tomorrow afternoon 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I use a Facom 1/4 ratchet with a set of these from B&Q: really nicely made, work perfect.

https://www.diy.com/departments/magnuss ... 092_BQ.prd

Just be careful when doing up as you can easily put too much pressure on the bolt.

Stuff like this is also good.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/magnuss ... 174_BQ.prd

Cheers. Should be 40 quid all in. Sounds right. It's the leverage I need.
  • Matthewfalle
    Grab yourself a Ritchey tourque key at the same time for doing stuff up and it's job jobbed.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.