Aero bike.... what would you spend £5k on?

ashtons99
ashtons99 Posts: 110
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Interested to hear any thoughts on this one, would you go for an individual build boutique frame with reasonable components with a chunk on the wheels, look at something like a canyon mail order purchase or go with one of the mainstream, Giant, Trek, Scott, Specialized packages. OR just spend a lot less !

Comments

• jollygiant
    jollygiant Posts: 117
    Simple....

Canyon Aeroad. Top spec stuff for not much mulaaarrr... Fast too!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    ashtons99 wrote:
    Interested to hear any thoughts on this one, would you go for an individual build boutique frame with reasonable components with a chunk on the wheels, look at something like a canyon mail order purchase or go with one of the mainstream, Giant, Trek, Scott, Specialized packages. OR just spend a lot less !

Just have a read through the post on this page originated by Mathewfalle regarding an aero frameset.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13093148

That should give you a few ideas of what's available both as frame only or complete bike.

Some idea of your budget would also help narrow down the options

BTW - it's best not to confuse things by posting twice on similar topics - I refer to your Ciocc Blade post which is effectively asking the same thing as this one
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Colnago Concept frameset and build it up from there.

If you scour eBay they come up from Italy fairly regularly for around £2600.

Leaves £2400 for the rest of the build.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd not spend 5k on one. Maybe 3 and then spend the rest taking it on holiday to ride it somewhere nice.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cougie wrote:
    I'd not spend 5k on one. Maybe 3 and then spend the rest taking it on holiday to ride it somewhere nice.

This 100%
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you've not cycled in the Alps or Switzerland then you've not really cycled...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    cougie wrote:
    If you've not cycled in the Alps or Switzerland then you've not really cycled...

What utter total crap.
  • First.Aspect
    cougie wrote:

This 100%
    But you can afford both though can't you? As well as a fast car.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cougie wrote:

This 100%

yes, but maybe, like you, he can't.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    cougie wrote:

This 100%

Correct. I have a clean 4x4. You'd hate it.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Bianchi xr4
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Wilier Cento 10 air. wonderful bike. rides better than an aeroad ( tried both side by side). depends on your fit though.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I've just bought a Cipollini NK1K and currently building with 11 speed Chorus and I expect to cost about £5k. Frame had 25% off so nicely reduced.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I would spend a lot less personally, I don't think you really get much performance benefit past ~£2.5k or so. Better to spend the 'left over' on better quality/aero kit, powermeter and a coach to show you how to use it. Or use it to fund a training camp in the spring for a couple of years.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    cougie wrote:

This 100%

Correct. I have a clean 4x4. You'd hate it.

Great chat.
    cougie wrote:

What utter total crap.

I think the suggestion of a cycling holiday with the saved cash is a pretty good one. If by 'Alps or Switzerland' he means 'anywhere with big hills and amazing roads which is different to where you normally ride' then I agree. It's a saying, not to be taken 100% literally.

He hasn't really given us a holiday budget or a full breakdown of his finances though so it's hard to tell if he can afford both...