Bottle cage that can take dh

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking for a bottle/cage combo that will not come out on full downhill courses ect for my enduro bike. Looking at a number of them on the market I'm not feeling overly confident I'll get to the bottom with my bottle still attached .

Thanks

Jonathon
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    And you can tell from the number of bottles I find in bumps and jumps that you have cause to think about it.

I use a standard metal one and before putting the bottle in (even if it is just a bottle from the supermarket) I press down on the cage to make it narrower. Works fine.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Yeah, I'd either go with a metal one or something like an Elite Custom Race with some sandpaper glued on the inside of it. Nice large surface area for the extra gritty grip.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gripper tape plus by a cage with the nipped over top that grips the upper ridge on the right size bottle.

Something like https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCSEPCA/se ... ottle-cage
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    King cages are supposed to be "king" for that sort of thing. Not cheap though (Probably cheaper than continuously buying bottles though!)
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Arundel Mandible is pretty famous for strong grip if you are looking to save weight over 'customisable' metal cages
  • RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    Why not just get a Camelbak? :P
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Frame mounted water carrier?
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    Does anyone know if the Zefal Spring bottle cage (frame mounted) will hold stainless steel bottles for long touring trips? Or is there something else better? My current cages are not strong enough, but they are just alloy cages, and they bend every time I try to get a bottle out. On long tours I would use a Camelbak but that would be in conjunction with 3 bottles on the frame to go along with it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've stuck with Lezyne Flow cages for a few years now. Grip like a dobermann on my Podium bottles. In fact it took quite a lot of practice to be able to take a bottle out on the move. I cannot imagine one coming out of it's own accord.