Perpignan and Puy De Dome areas

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
I know I can't ride up the PDD - legally at least - but anyone know either area recommend any roads, climbs or routes worth doing - I'm heading off down just South west of Perpignan area on holiday with a few days stop on the way down?

Neither are areas I've visited before. It's not a cycling holiday but will be taking the bike.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've had several enjoyable touring holidays in the eastern Catalan Pyrenees and their foothills west and south of Perpignan. Fabulous, challenging cycling with normally much hotter and drier weather than the central and western Pyrenees.

There are several good cycling roads from the Tech valley north into and round the Canigou massif. I did the Cols de la Descargue and Palomere via Coursevy down to Vinca. A quiet, scenic road although the top section is gravel - a bit hairy as I was on my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket folder with narrow 20in tyres and towing a trailer. I also enjoyed the quiet roads north of Vinca to Sournia and on to Axat. The Col de Jau is another good option.

Go north from there and you are in Cathar fortress country - hot, dry, spectacular. I can recommend the Gorges de Galamus near St Paul de Fenouillet.

I was lucky to ride the Puy de Dome before they put in the railway. Unremitting, unchanging gradient constantly turning right like a corkscrew. Had to be careful not to let my speed get too high on the descent. It would be easy to get into difficulty. It is still occasionally open to cyclists on organized occasions, and I understand riders do still sneak up early in the morning. But there's plenty of good riding in the Volcans natural park area. My wife and I were based at Orcival and we had two or three days of pleasant riding from there
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Thanks will check those out, I understand one of the open days for the PdD was yesterday - actually the day I checked - so I'm assuming it wont be open again for a bit.

I may go up on the railway instead if it's not too pricy - if I start at the back of the carriage and walk to the front during the climb would that count for the strava segment do you think ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    What has Puy de Dome got to do with Perpignan?
    left the forum March 2023