Between sizes on Trek Domane, very long legs, short torso.

tomaz26
tomaz26 Posts: 12
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I narrowed the bike selection down to the bikes that can take at least 32 mm tires, preferably even 35 mm. So I found Trek domane ALR 5 disc 2018. It is discounted 15 %, but the only available sizes are 54 and 58. And as usual in this cases I am 56 according to my height. I am 5.10 (177 cm), but my inseam is really big with 34 inch (86 cm), my torso short.. I currently own Cube cross bike which is too big, because it was bought according to inseam... I had to buy shorter raiser stem and even now bike is still too big. So I am not doing the same mistake again and was thinking about sizing down a bit. Would frame 54 be ok? It will have smaller head tube, but I can buy raiser stem or something and fix it somehow? Or do I stay with 56 cm. I read on forums that smaller frame is easier to fit than if you buy larger frame. Ok in my case I am deciding between the correct frame (56) and one size smaller (54).

thanks for help

Tomaz

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    At 5ft 10 I'd go 54, especially with long legs and a short torso. The reach on the 56 will likely be too long. You may have a fair seat to bar drop so worth sitting on one and see how it fits. Avoid compact frames with your body shape or the seat to bar drop will be too much. Same reason I can't ride a Giant as, like you I have long legs for my height.
  • tomaz26
    tomaz26 Posts: 12
    Yeah, I think I will go with 54. Thanks. And too much seat to bar drop I think is easier fixed than vice versa. Although stem rise on my hybrid bike is probably different than it would look and feel on a road bike.. :)
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    At 5ft 10 I'd go 54, especially with long legs and a short torso. The reach on the 56 will likely be too long. You may have a fair seat to bar drop so worth sitting on one and see how it fits. Avoid compact frames with your body shape or the seat to bar drop will be too much. Same reason I can't ride a Giant as, like you I have long legs for my height.

The bit in bold is not correct - a traditional frame with a horizontal top tube has a smaller stack/reach ratio, a compact frame such as the Giant Defy has a larger stack to reach ratio (favouring those with longer legs and shorter torsos).

With regards to the Op a 54 would be fine according to the geometry charts from 2013? Not sure where the geometry charts for the 2018 models are?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Double post!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    letap73 wrote:

The bit in bold is not correct - a traditional frame with a horizontal top tube has a smaller stack/reach ratio, a compact frame such as the Giant Defy has a larger stack to reach ratio (favouring those with longer legs and shorter torsos).

With regards to the Op a 54 would be fine according to the geometry charts from 2013? Not sure where the geometry charts for the 2018 models are?

OK, thanks. I always thought compact geo bikes suited people with longer torsos than legs but happy to be corrected. I could never get comfortable on a Defy but can on a Cannondale but maybe that's just me.
  • I have a 2016 domane. I'm 5.8 with inseam on 31.

I have a 52cm and it fits me perfectly. Don't know of thats any use to you for comparison
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Going on the geometry table at https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... c/p/21571/ , I'd choose a 56cm or even a 58cm, I'm 5'10" with a ~32.5" cycling inseam.

Even the 58cm has a shorter reach than my 58cm Cube, albeit only 8mm, while stack is the same,

There's only 3mm reach between the 54cm and 56cm, but the stack increases by 16mm, reducing the saddle to bar drop a little.

Their guide just above the geo table says at least 56cm for someone 5'10".
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tangerineowl
    tangerineowl Posts: 101
    I'm the same height with the same inseam. My arms are 64cm.

A few years ago not knowing much about sizing I purchased a Norco Valence.
    That frame had a 371mm reach. I always felt too stretched out and ended up putting on a 75mm stem.

The 54 Domane has a stack of 575mm which is a fairly good height in my experience. However the reach at 374mm is going to be too long unless the OP has pretty long arms.

Before I went looking around for a new frame/bike I sized myself up using the Competitive Cyclist online calculator.
    It suggested (Eddy/Race fit) a bike with approx 530mm Effective Top Tube (My Norco had a 543mm). The frame I eventually purchased had that 530mm top tube and it fits me very well.

With my proportions I've always had an eye on the Blue Prosecco EX. A US brand and I was surprised to find they're available at Merlin.

I can guarantee the 53.5 (Medium) with its 586mm stack and 361mm reach will fit the OP extremely well. Its a very good spec'd bike for the price and can take 38mm tyres:-
    https://www.merlincycles.com/blue-prose ... 13520.html

My own endurance/gravel bike has a 360mm reach and a 580mm stack with 10-20mm of spacers below the stem, depending on how aggressive I want to set the front end.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I have a 2017 Domane none disc. I’m 172cm with a 85cm inseam and ride a 56. I tried a 54 but the saddle to bar drop was too big. I’m contemplating selling it as I’ve hardly ridden it since getting a gravel bike. PM me if it’s something you’d be interested in.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Check out the specialized diverge bacause the geometry on that bike works well for long inseam/short torso and it will easily accommodate big tyres.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Tomaz, I am the same height, and have the same inseam as you, and also started mistakenly with a 56.

I now ride 54's (Scott CR1/Synapse), usually with a 90mm stem, and all is well in the world :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18