3. A tricky turn with a 6' drop into brambles and nettles

Sounds fun!
    What's next, a hidden pit full of sharpened stakes to hop over? :D

I like to provide something for everyone! :D
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    898kor wrote:

I best get some slime into the tyres then :D

If you are using tubes, then I would 100% agree. Slime for tubes is fantastic stuff. I put some in some tubes and I went from one flat every 14 miles to none for years. Eventually I went tubeless and those tubes were still good.

But Slime for tubeless tyres, not so good. I have persisted way beyond what I would call an acceptable time for the Slime to seal the gaps between the rims and tyre tyre beads. They are improving daily, but I can still lose 2-3 psi over the course of a ride.
  • steve_sordy
    It will be dry today, some showers tomorrow (Wed) and then dry until the weekend after the one we are interested in.

It might be a bit dusty in places, so look out for the sand traps! :shock:
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    898kor wrote:

I best get some slime into the tyres then :D

If you are using tubes, then I would 100% agree. Slime for tubes is fantastic stuff. I put some in some tubes and I went from one flat every 14 miles to none for years. Eventually I went tubeless and those tubes were still good.

But Slime for tubeless tyres, not so good. I have persisted way beyond what I would call an acceptable time for the Slime to seal the gaps between the rims and tyre tyre beads. They are improving daily, but I can still lose 2-3 psi over the course of a ride.

Tend to agree Steve, I have had slimed tubes since day 1 and (touch wood) no punctures to date. Same for child Mk2.

Child Mk1 however has pushed to go tubeless, His Mavic UST rims dont tend to seal well at all (even with Mavic tyres) but when we swopped his rear to a shimano deore rim it is much improved. Since converting him to tubeless, Its the first time I have been disappointed with an Uberbike product as well, the sealant they supply does not seem to perform as well as green "slime" (or the 20ltr bucket of industrial sealant I acquired :D ) . Their tubless valve would also leak a little, I changed the supplied O ring for a size down and that stopped the leak. Like you, I reckon he loses 2 - 5psi per outing.

Ive been a convert to most things (even when initial impressions were against) such as lycra, 1x, no mudguards etc. but the tubeless is not on my wish list just yet. Last weekend at Sutton Bank (North York Moors - much recomended) Mk1 child popped his tyre off the rim on a rocky downhill - we didnt have the air capacity to blow it back on the rim so ended fitting a spare tube anyways. At risk of a occasional snake bite Im going to stay firm and slimed for now! :lol:
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    So we have...
    1. A blind brambly descent on loose gravel
    2. Neck strangling brambles

Sounds fun!

Punji traps can be arranged....

Brambles and some bracken are very well represented. Steve does a good job of trying to keep it all in check.

Sometimes you get members of the public in the wrong place at the wrong time but that's usually on the journey back when you're nearer the car park and nearer the general populous. The improved trail markers have helped reduce the likelihood but sadly you still get people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's going to be fun.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    898kor wrote:

Tend to agree Steve, I have had slimed tubes since day 1 and (touch wood) no punctures to date. Same for child Mk2.

Ive been a convert to most things ........ but the tubeless is not on my wish list just yet. ............. At risk of a occasional snake bite Im going to stay firm and slimed for now! :lol:

Finally! :D

My rear tyre is holding the same pressure throughout the ride and over 24 hours too! That took 50 trail miles and a lot of pumping up. Not holes or valves, just rim/bead interface. But it should be good for a long time now.
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:
    So we have...
    1. A blind brambly descent on loose gravel
    2. Neck strangling brambles

Sounds fun!

Punji traps can be arranged....

Brambles and some bracken are very well represented. Steve does a good job of trying to keep it all in check.

Sometimes you get members of the public in the wrong place at the wrong time but that's usually on the journey back when you're nearer the car park and nearer the general populous. The improved trail markers have helped reduce the likelihood but sadly you still get people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's going to be fun.

I finally relented on the blind brambly descent on loose gravel. The trails are really dry now and the loose gravel is a bit tricky if you brake too much - you can end up with rear wheel steering! So I have cut back all of the brambles and some of the bracken, so at least you can see the bottom now, and where the gravel is!

I thought I'd got rid of all the neck-strangling brambles on Friday, but there was more! I believe they were there all along, just laid flat waiting for a breeze to release them to spring upwards. I have left one section completely untouched as I ran out of time. You should have no difficulty spotting which section it is.

The falling tree is still there, but propped up by only one tree branch now, the other prop has fallen away. It is in dire need of being moved.
  • steve_sordy
    More news on the meeting point for the Forum Ride (10am ready to ride).

It has become obvious that preparations for the concerts taking place that weekend will prevent us meeting by the cafe veranda. The area area has all been fenced off with 6' high steel fencing and this blocks access to the cafe veranda. So we meet outside the cafe entrance instead (it's nearby). The first three hundred yards of my route is also fenced off, so we will have a detour on forest roads instead of singletrack.

The fencing also requires a detour for all those wanting to do the blue and green trails. That won't affect us, but it will affect Sparrowhawk. I will send him additional instructions via PM.
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    Unfortunately I'm now a "no" as opposed to a "possible" :-(

Saw the shoulder doc again this morning as improvement has been poor after 2 x sets of steroid injections, so he now needs to review my scan to determine if I need to have an op to remove some of the bone from my shoulder to create clearance for the bursar as the steroids should have done the trick :-(

Happened in mid-December and I haven't ridden at all since February, so extremely frustrated at the minute!!
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • steve_sordy
    Sad to hear that Blokie, that's a bummer! :(

Meanwhile, the route I'll be using on the Forum Ride on Sunday is in great shape, if a bit dusty in places. No rain is forecast between now and then, so it should be good. :)
  • Foxynjr
    Foxynjr Posts: 10
    I'm still a definite but my possible plus 2 are now a possible plus one and I'm not sure when he will confirm.

See you sunday
  • billycool
    Foxynjr wrote:
    I'm still a definite but my possible plus 2 are now a possible plus one and I'm not sure when he will confirm.

See you sunday

I'll still be there with my +1

Looking forward to it and meeting some new faces.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    As I reported previously, because of preparations for the concerts taking place this weekend we will be prevented from meeting by the cafe veranda. The arena area has all been fenced off with 6' high steel fencing and this blocks access to the cafe veranda. So we meet outside the cafe entrance instead the one facing the car parks. (It's only a few yards away),

Forecast:
    Temp 18-22 degC (it will be cooler in the woods)
    Humidity 43-58%
    Partly Cloudy

Looks pretty much perfect to me. :D
  • steve_sordy
    That is 7 definites and 1 possible

Me +2
    Foxynjr + 1 possible
    Billy Cool + 1
    Sparrowhawk

To be honest, I'm glad it's not 19!
    I've had 19 turn up and it was a bit tricky.

But there's plenty of time for more yet! :D
  • zagora
    zagora Posts: 11
    I'll be there tomorrow Steve, yes, the weather and conditions seem perfect
  • steve_sordy
    Zagora wrote:
    I'll be there tomorrow Steve, yes, the weather and conditions seem perfect

That is a nice number of attendees, just enough to shift that tree! :D
  • steve_sordy
    Well, we had a total of 12 turn up for a great day out, brilliant weather and good company. :)

Me + 2
    898kor +4
    Zagora
    Foxynjr
    Billy Cool +1

Billy did a great job on the camera and video (Maybe I should reserve judgement until we see the results). :lol:

In my opinion, the star of the day was 898kor's elder son who cleared his first gap jump in the Dirt Jump area (applause) and also did the wall in the fishbowl (really tricky). But his younger brother is not far behind, he is certainly keen enough!

There was enough challenging stuff there to give us all an adrenalin surge. Billy Cool did the hardest looking descent (outside the Sherwood Pines area). It was one that I have never attempted, I would struggle to even push up it. But BC had the grace to admit that when he was stood at the top it put the sh1ts up him! However, he made it look easy. :)

I made it 14 miles; others will have done more. At least one of us had one of those devices that monitors how many feet of elevation and descents we did. I'd be interested to see that, because it felt like a lot. :shock:

Knackered now. :roll:
  • zagora
    zagora Posts: 11
    Thank you everyone for a great days riding and a special thanks to Steve for organising and planning it all !
    I think we were all impressed with 898kor juniors' skills and bravery, well done boys.
    It seemed more than 14 miles, maybe someone will confirm.
    I'm looking forward to the next ride........
  • steve_sordy
    Zagora wrote:
    ............I'm looking forward to the next ride........

I'm thinking of late August/early September.

But I go to Pines all the time, so if anyone fancies a ride, just let me know. Weekdays included. :)
  • 898kor
    Well, we had a total of 12 turn up for a great day out, brilliant weather and good company. :)

Me + 2
    898kor +4
    Zagora
    Foxynjr
    Billy Cool +1

Billy did a great job on the camera and video (Maybe I should reserve judgement until we see the results). :lol:

In my opinion, the star of the day was 898kor's elder son who cleared his first gap jump in the Dirt Jump area (applause) and also did the wall in the fishbowl (really tricky). But his younger brother is not far behind, he is certainly keen enough!

There was enough challenging stuff there to give us all an adrenalin surge. Billy Cool did the hardest looking descent (outside the Sherwood Pines area). It was one that I have never attempted, I would struggle to even push up it. But BC had the grace to admit that when he was stood at the top it put the sh1ts up him! However, he made it look easy. :)

I made it 14 miles; others will have done more. At least one of us had one of those devices that monitors how many feet of elevation and descents we did. I'd be interested to see that, because it felt like a lot. :shock:

Knackered now. :roll:

Steve,

Excellent day thank you for taking time to prepare such a good route - to say we have been to SP many times we saw plenty of new stuff - that we will be repeating. The kids enjoyed it very much also.

My decision to wear shorts was perhaps not the wisest one - legs are still stinging!

My route tracker only measured 11.5 miles but it was on and off like a 70's power station due to poor gps so could have been much more.

One of the highlights for me was Zagora being called "youff" by another rider :lol:

Great to meet everybody and look forward to Billy's pics / videos, in the meantime here are a couple I took:

A few pics and videos - ignore the creaking sound, its not my bones but the camera mount........
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • steve_sordy
    If I stand back from the screen they look absolutely great! :D I'll be taking a few stills from that lot (of me of course). :oops:

You can see what I mean about your elder boy, that uphill hop up over the root was brilliant! He must have jumped at least 18" into the air.

Many thanks for sharing. My wife could not believe that a pregnant woman joined us.
    (I thought she did great, much better than I would with a heavy bowling ball up my jumper!) :lol:
  • billycool
    Quick note to everyone to say thanks for a fab day out.

Always enjoy the Forum rides and meeting some new people.

Thanks again the Steve who does so much work before the big day and showing us parts of Pines I can never find.

I'll post some pics when I work out how (doesn't seem to be the same as MBR) and the video will go on You Tube when I finally edit it.

The big downhill bit was scary - thought I'd taken on a bit too much (assumed most of you were going to have a go). Glad I did it but there was a healthy dose of `concern`.

Steve - please do another one soon. You'll always get people interested. If not - you ride solo! :lol:
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:

Steve - please do another one soon. You'll always get people interested. If not - you ride solo :lol:

Thanks for the thanks BC. As I said in an earlier post, I ride there regularly solo as it gives me time to hack back the brambles, which is why I know it so well. So any time that anyone fancies a ride, let me know. There were some good bits I didn't show you all this time, because they didn't flow well with the rest of what we did today.

Also, I have found that if I do much more than 12-13 miles (plus sessioning), about half the riders have had enough and start crying off for a variety of reasons. I used to do 18 miles and they were still bailing out after 12-13 miles! I still wonder how much climbing we did. I know that Sherwood Pines is nominally flat(ish), but there is an awful lot of up and down there that we make the most of. How high do you reckon that embankment drop is? It must be 25' at least and maybe more (I'm trying not to exaggerate). :roll:

One thing I forgot to mention was the successful clearance of that tree that has been falling for years over the trenches. With my shoulder I lifted the end of the tree off the prop that I had put there earlier, expecting half a dozen or so of you to move the tree sideways. But it took just two of you! Those roots stuck in the ground were more rotten than I had expected. Anyway, it is a danger no more, and tidily positioned too. :)
    Many thanks! :)
  • billycool
    My Strava said max elevation 379 feet and we climbed 1104 feet so we went up and down quite a bit.
    I'll post a screenshot if I can work out how.

Total mileage was 14.2m but not sure how accurate that was.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:
    My Strava said max elevation 379 feet and we climbed 1104 feet so we went up and down quite a bit.
    I'll post a screenshot if I can work out how.

Total mileage was 14.2m but not sure how accurate that was.

If we had climbed ascents of 2 x 400' and 1 x 300' and then descended in a couple of drops, people might be saying it was worth visiting! :roll:

Yeah, I did 14 miles, but I would have thought you did more. You went round the bike park twice as much as me and also you did the dirt jump area, whereas I took a breather. I call it "pacing myself" :D

I once hosted a guy who's home trail was Dalby Forest. He was knackered after one trip round Pines! He said that he never stopped pedalling, never had a chance to rest (his view). It was about 6 years ago, before I was going off-piste, and all we did was a mixture of the red and the blue! :lol:
  • 898kor
    BillyCool took a "erm" cool pic of my boy Mk1, thanks for passing it on:

auuqf4.jpg
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • steve_sordy
    I believe that is one of the gap jumps, and throwing shapes so soon!
    He did really well, my grandson would be dead jealous!
  • billycool
    Let's see if this works.

2jcvdyt.jpg
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 898kor
    Many thanks for sharing. My wife could not believe that a pregnant woman joined us.
    (I thought she did great, much better than I would with a heavy bowling ball up my jumper!) :lol:

This is a real concern Dan (her husband) and I have - Siobhan can keep up in her condition now - she is going to thrash us in a few months when the bowling ball has gone!
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • billycool
    2w57g93.jpg

ndqtj5.jpg

20o1m8.jpg

3308wsn.jpg
    "Ride, crash, replace"