Frame bag rubbing legs?

Chimera2018
Chimera2018 Posts: 106
edited July 2019 in Tour & expedition
I need a way to carry a ton of water with me for my day tours. From what I've heard a water bladder in a frame bag is supposed to be the bee's knees. However, I bought a frame bag, put an old Camalbak 3 litre bladder into it, and went out just now to try it out. From the off I could feel and hear it rubbing against my legs as I pedal. Obviously this is no good, as I might be able to put up with it for a few miles, but if I'm on a 30-40 mile day tour it would probably grow to be very annoying very quickly. Is there anything I can do about it? Maybe frame bags are not for me, and I'll just have to resort to using the small Camalbak rucksack I actually bought first for this purpose.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You need to carry a ton of water for 30-40 miles?Should that be 130-140miles for a day tour?
    Anyway a frame bag full of water is not IMO an ideal way to carry it.
    For 30-40 miles 2X500ml Bottles should be more than enough and you can always refill them?
    If you really have to carry more than that then a Camelbak or those Triathlon seatpost/bar mounted bottle cages are your best bet.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sniper68 wrote:
    You need to carry a ton of water for 30-40 miles?Should that be 130-140miles for a day tour?
    For 30-40 miles 2X500ml Bottles should be more than enough and you can always refill them?
    If you really have to carry more than that then a Camelbak or those Triathlon seatpost/bar mounted bottle cages are your best bet.

You can buy 1 litre water bottles for bottle cages. 2 should be enough unless you are riding through a desert??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Chimera2018
    Sniper68 wrote:

It needs to last me all day, and I know from experience that I need at least 3 bottles of water. In fact on one occasion a while ago this wasn't enough and I had to knock on someone's door and ask them to refill my bottles. So that means with the Camalbak I need a full 3 litre bladder to make sure I don't run out. The trouble with carrying multiple bottles is that the idea is at some point I want to be able to lock the bike up and visit an attraction, so I need to be able to take everything removable off the bike and take it with me - not easy with a ton of bottles to carry. Also, ime, water in bottles heats up very rapidly and is not very refreshing, where as my experience with a bladder in a rucksack is that it keeps cool. I'm not sure where I could refill bottles anyway?
  • Chimera2018
    Sometimes I'm going to be catching a train somewhere for a few hours, doing a ride, and not getting back home until the mid-evening, and it needs to last me all that time. Bearing in mind that it will usually will be hot and sunny, and I tend to sweat a lot.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    When in Gran Canaria I managed 3 litres using 2 x 1 litre bottle and another 1 litre collapsible bottle in the middle rear jersey pocket.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sniper68
    I'm not sure where I could refill bottles anyway?
    Shops/Petrol Stations/Railway/Bus Stations al sell or have machines that sell cold bottled water!You can also fill them up in Public Toilets or Drinks fountains if you prefer not to pay!?
    As stated unless you're riding in a Desert there really is no need to carry that much fluid!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cemeteries have taps. At least they do in the UK.

Maybe try some compression straps to squeeze the bag where you need it ?

Really don't think you need to carry a whole days water.
  • Chimera2018
    I never pass any cemeteries. I already tried some straps I had laying around and it was no good. It squeezed it too much top to bottom and not enough side to side.
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Shops/Petrol Stations/Railway/Bus Stations al sell or have machines that sell cold bottled water!You can also fill them up in Public Toilets or Drinks fountains if you prefer not to pay!?
    As stated unless you're riding in a Desert there really is no need to carry that much fluid!

A small bottle of water would last me a couple of minutes - no good. And what public toilets and water fountains? There aren't any. And drink water from a tap in a pubic toilet? No thanks.
  • sniper68
    I never pass any cemeteries. I already tried some straps I had laying around and it was no good. It squeezed it too much top to bottom and not enough side to side.
    Sniper68 wrote:

A small bottle of water would last me a couple of minutes - no good. And what public toilets and water fountains? There aren't any. And drink water from a tap in a pubic toilet? No thanks.
    Bottled water comes in 500ml/1ltr/2ltr bottles.500ml,funnily enough is the standard size for a Bidon.So if you carry 2x500ml Bidons...then buy three.Two to fill your empty bottles and one "to last you a couple of minutes".It really isn't hard is it?
    No Public toilets/Fountains?Where are you on Mars?They're all over the place in the UK.There's even more in Europe.
    I'm starting to think you're Trolling.
    Sometimes I'm going to be catching a train somewhere for a few hours, doing a ride, and not getting back home until the mid-evening, and it needs to last me all that time. Bearing in mind that it will usually will be hot and sunny, and I tend to sweat a lot.
    As said they sell water/fluid on Trains and at stations.
  • Chimera2018
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Bottled water comes in 500ml/1ltr/2ltr bottles.500ml,funnily enough is the standard size for a Bidon.So if you carry 2x500ml Bidons...then buy three.Two to fill your empty bottles and one "to last you a couple of minutes".It really isn't hard is it?

By the time I've found somewhere that sells water I'll be parched, and end up downing most of it in one go. And the point is so I don't have to rely on being lucky enough to find somewhere to buy more. And most places only sell the small bottles anyway.

No Public toilets/Fountains?Where are you on Mars?They're all over the place in the UK.There's even more in Europe.
    I'm starting to think you're Trolling.

Er no they're not! I think it might be you who is trolling. Do you even live in the UK?
    As said they sell water/fluid on Trains and at stations.

Very few trains sell anything onboard at all, and by the time I get back to the station it's too late anyway.

I've done it enough times to know what I need to carry.
  • sniper68
    Where exactly are you?
    I live in Sheffield and have cycled and MTB'd all over the UK and you're never more than a few minutes away from somewhere to get water.
    I've cycled in France and Mallorca and that's the same.
    Water is freely available everywhere.
    Parched?In the UK?
    Oh dear I'm out as you obviously don't want help or advice.
  • sniper68
    Here's a thought.
    Buy one of those tag-along-childs trailers and fill it full of cooler boxes full of bottled water.
    There you go you'll never be parched again :roll:

Or...just learn to mange your intake between shops?
  • cougie
    Seriously I think you've a medical condition. Go see your GP and ask to be tested for diabetes.
  • Chimera2018
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Where exactly are you?
    I live in Sheffield and have cycled and MTB'd all over the UK and you're never more than a few minutes away from somewhere to get water.
    I've cycled in France and Mallorca and that's the same.
    Water is freely available everywhere.
    Parched?In the UK?
    Oh dear I'm out as you obviously don't want help or advice.

Yes no one ever, ever gets thirsty in the UK.......... :roll:

Maybe it's better if you do leave, because you've given me nothing but a load of useless bollox. According to you public toilets and water fountains are "everywhere", when anyone who lives here knows that they are not. I don't know anywhere there are water fountains. They do not exist, except maybe in the realms of your fertile imagination.

I've been doing day trips on bikes for 20 years, so I'm quite sure I know what I need to carry, and the possibility of finding replenishment along the way. So maybe if you could stick to addressing the issue at hand instead of trying to pick holes, that would be great.
  • cougie

I've been doing day trips on bikes for 20 years, so I'm quite sure I know what I need to carry, and the possibility of finding replenishment along the way. So maybe if you could stick to addressing the issue at hand instead of trying to pick holes, that would be great.

How have you survived the last 20 years then without water ?

Fwiw I've been cycling for the last 35 years - much longer distances than you're doing and managed just fine with one or two bottles on the bike.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Last few rides of 60-80 miles I've take 2x750ml bottles and not used it all. I think Chimera must be a fish.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sniper68
    edited June 2018
    Yes no one ever, ever gets thirsty in the UK.......... :roll:
    Maybe it's better if you do leave, because you've given me nothing but a load of useless bollox. According to you public toilets and water fountains are "everywhere", when anyone who lives here knows that they are not. I don't know anywhere there are water fountains. They do not exist, except maybe in the realms of your fertile imagination.
    20 years and you haven't found a solution?
    Have you ever been to London on your Epic 20 year ride-a-thon?Or Birmingam,Manchester,Glasgow,or any town?They have big green spaces called Parks.In all these parks you can general find a water dispenser of some sort,a drinks fountain if you like :roll:
    Even if you cycle VERY slowly in one of our rather fine National Parks you're never too far away from a Town or Village where you can get this rarity called water.
    In your vast 20 year experience has it ever dawned on you that 1ltr of water weighs 1kg.So the more you carry the more weight you carry,the more effort you need to cycle so you will drink more.
    Next time you're out have a look around and you'll see people on bikes wearing Lycra.They're "Roadies" and you'll notice they'll have one or two 500ml bottles on their bikes and chances are they'll be doing anything up to a 100miles,probably at a much faster pace than you.How in Gods name do they do it I wonder :?:
  • cougie
    Don't forget he's never cycled past a cemetery either. He must have very specific route requirements.
  • sniper68
    drlodge wrote:
    Last few rides of 60-80 miles I've take 2x750ml bottles and not used it all. I think Chimera must be a fish.
    fish-bike-4504.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Definitely a 'Friday' thread....
  • Chimera2018
    Yes, quite obviously when it's mid twenties to thirty degrees out and they're doing hard physical exercise no one needs any water at all.... And cemeteries and water fountains and public toilets and shops that sell jumbo sized bottles of water are ten a penny. In fact I can see about a dozen of each looking out of my window right now.

This forum is absolutely useless.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    A flounce , a Friday flounce. on a par with an Argentinian 2018 flounce, wilting .
  • cougie
    Where are you riding Chimera ? A place that has train stations but no population ? So why is there a train station ?
  • sniper68
    cougie wrote:
    Where are you riding Chimera ? A place that has train stations but no population ? So why is there a train station ?
    And most villages have either a Church,a shop or a pub....or all three and yes Churches have graveyards(cemetry) and a tap to water the flowers.
    Unless he lives in the Outback,Sahara,Siberia?
    You are never far away from somewhere to get water in the UK :roll:
    Oh and "hard physical exercise"leads to a thirst...yes it does but cycling 30-40miles in a day isn't hard physical exercise.It's a very steady pootle..unless it's over the Andes or Himalayas :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    This forum is absolutely useless.

Says the guy who needs to take 15 gallons of water on a 40 mile bike ride....
  • Chimera2018
    Stop telling me how much I need to drink ffs. I KNOW how much I need to drink I've done it enough times. If you actually research the recommended fluid intake you'll see that is far more than you seem to think we should all drink; you're all clueless.

And I already stated that I want to be self reliant, instead of having to run around trying to find shops that might be closed or cemeteries that might not exist at all.

Why is it so bloody hard for people on this forum to stick to actually answering the queries that have been posted, instead of always looking for ways to make posters look bad? No wonder you have people leaving.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I tend to plan my longer rides so they take in a shop/cafe/garage etc. It does need to be either really hot or getting towards a century to be absolutely needed though and I've never been that desperate to raid a cemetery!

2 x 700ml bottles will last me around 4 hours/70miles if it's not too hot. Very rare I'll do more than that without a cafe stop built into the ride
  • cougie
    You've still not said where you cycle.
  • Chimera2018
    SE England. And for the record I try to avoid buying water unless I absolutely have to. One, it's mega expensive, and two there is the waste problem that has been brought to light recently. When I'm going to be away from home for ~13 hours I need a lot of water.
  • Chimera2018
    And I've been burnt before, where I've run out of water, been desperate for a drink on a hot day, and all the shops I've come across have been closed. Never again.