That went quickly, it's the longest day today

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
edited June 2018 in The cake stop
wooosssshhhh and the evenings start drawing in...
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Time to go on holiday then, where it gets dark earlier and when you come back it'll feel like it's getting dark later. That's my plan anyway.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I always find it slightly depressing that the longest day occurs so early into summer. That said, it's a nice feeling when a few days before Christmas they start getting longer again.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Slowmart wrote:
    wooosssshhhh and the evenings start drawing in...

Not quite true.

It's the sunrises that get later to shorten the day. This happens for about a week and then the nights start to draw in too, but not as quickly as the mornings. The opposite happens in December. :D

But it's still a sod.

The older I get, the better I was.

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Move to a country above or below 33 degrees latitude, you don’t get anything like as much variation in the length of the day / night. Or move to the arctic circle / North Pole where you can get up to 6 months where the sun never truly sets completely over the horizon, it’s a bit more complicated than that

https://www.livescience.com/32814-arcti ... uinox.html

But to all intents and purposes, it’s pretty much the case.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    The sunsets on the equator are amazing. One moment it's daylight; then it's dark. Scary until you get used to it.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Robert88 wrote:
    The sunsets on the equator are amazing. One moment it's daylight; then it's dark. Scary until you get used to it.
    I was in Indonesia about 20 years ago,watching the sunset on a small beach,it seemed to have miles to go,so I went back to room where i was staying about 50yd away to get my camera,by the time I came back out the sun had gone,I was properly gobsmacked how fast it had disappeared