S-Works Tarmac SL6

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited May 2019 in Your road bikes
I've been deliberating for about a year on whether to raid the piggy bank for a Sunday best bike, I eventually took the plunge and just finished building this last night.

This years colours didn't really stand out ane I had searched high and low for the sagan superstar frameset as I missed the initial release and as it was a special edition a limited number were made available. I eventually tracked down one in my size.

The build deserves Dura-Ace but I had to make some financial compromises, so opted for Ultegra Di2 R8050 with the bar end junction box and EW-WU111 wireless unit. If I am in a position later in the year to afford Dura-Ace then I will move the Ultegra kit onto one of the other bikes.

Finishing kit is an S-Works stem and aerofly bars and the wheelset is Roval CLX50 or R-SYS SLR's for hillier terrain.

Haven't had my first ride yet so need to get rid of some of spacers and get the steerer cut once I get my fit sorted and I will update the photos once that is all sorted.

pzBVMtv.jpg
cQK8Iyl.jpg
UnxHXrM.jpg
jWpqwlt.jpg
tY9EtZT.jpg?1
2FbkaVV.jpg

Comments

• Livewire
    Livewire Posts: 91
    Lovely Looking bike! I expect it will be a joy to ride.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Cracking bike that, I normally don’t get too animated about ‘big sticker’ bikes, but I do have a soft spot for a nice spesh S works
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Superb, enjoy in good health.

Good luck with the carbon pedals, i binned mine as they constantly creaked.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Truly stunning. I bet the finish on that frame looks amazing in the flesh.
  • Nice work, always tricky to decide where to end the bar tape on aero bars
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dazz_ni45
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

First ride last night and it was much better than I expected. Not sure if it was the frame or wheels or combination of the two but it just felt quick and the biggest surprise was the comfort which I wasn't expecting.
  • dazz_ni45
    Slowmart wrote:

They are actually recycled from a bike a just sold and I've been using them for about 2-3 years. The found the creaking to due more to the cleats, especially the grip version to help with walking. A fine spray of GT85 on the pedal generally got rid of the creaking if it did happen
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Hat off, that’s lovely.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Good looking build. Miss my S works, fantastic bike to ride. enjoy (sure you will)

I have found Keo cleats squeak far more irrespective of the pedal material.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    wish I could upgrade my SL2 ...
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Lovely. S Works Tarmac my favourite big brand bike. LBS has one of the Sagan frames hanging on the wall. Tempting!
  • dazz_ni45
    Lovely. S Works Tarmac my favourite big brand bike. LBS has one of the Sagan frames hanging on the wall. Tempting!

Thanks. Grab it while you can!
  • Don't like Spesh's but that looks pretty quick....especially with the SLRs on
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    I love it. Very sleek and fast looking.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • ww88
    ww88 Posts: 18
    If I could have any bike, this would be it, perfection.
  • yep......I like it (but that teeny weeny saddle looks a bit weird :? ). Nice bike.
  • Colour scheme is not bad, but it truly does nothing for me. I don't understand why everyone is getting excited above.

Sorry, but for me, those shortened seat stays ruin the look of any bike that has them :cry: . And then there's that sloping top tube :(
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Stunning bike. Absolutely stunning.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Beautiful ! But what bikes are those hiding at the back of the shed ? They look nice too.
  • Slowmart wrote:

The pedals don't creak, it's the grip cleats that creak. Buy the non grip cleats and you're sorted.

OP - really great looking bike and thanks for posting a pic with RSYS SLRs. I'm toying with adding the SL6 to my fleet and I have the same wheels.
  • dazz_ni45
    edited September 2018
    Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated. Still loving the bike and it’s a great all rounder its great.
    Fenix wrote:
    Beautiful ! But what bikes are those hiding at the back of the shed ? They look nice too.

Bikes in the background are a Cannondale Supersix Evo HM and a CAAD12. There should also be a Whyte Wessex there somewhere too!
  • Honestly? It’s not for me, possibly the very poor presentation and possibly the loads of spacers and the forward saddle.
  • Honestly? It’s not for me, possibly the very poor presentation and possibly the loads of spacers and the forward saddle.

Thanks for the comment and your honesty. We are all welcome to our own opinion and if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world.

Agree on the presentation. I don’t have much of an eye or talent for photography
  • New bike isn’t a ‘Dale?!?!?
  • I’m about to pull the trigger on an SL6 as well...I wish it was as clean as this Sagan S-Works but nonetheless it will be an SL6!
  • Great looking bike, I also have a S Works Sl6
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    how does it ride compared to the cannondale HM?
  • dazz_ni45
    how does it ride compared to the cannondale HM?

In my opinion its a significant improvement. Its a lot more comfortable but the biggest improvement has been when descending and cornering. The Evo always felt twitchy and this held me back from really pushing on, whereas I have a lot more confidence in the S-Works.
  • dazz_ni45
    Managed to pick up this Sl5 recently to add to the fleet

dmRKgXb.jpg
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Managed to pick up this Sl5 recently to add to the fleet

dmRKgXb.jpg

My favourite colour scheme, biblically epic and trouser strechingly exciting.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu