new commute

spatt77
spatt77 Posts: 324
edited June 2018 in Commuting general
Hi, I`ve got the chance to commute to work but its only going to be 6 miles each way, 6 days a week, just wondering if its really worth it and if so what are the potential benefits? I`m already pretty fit and average about 180 miles a week. Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers :D

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Mine is only 2.5 miles ew... saves 25 minutes of time spent either walking or sat in a car punching the windscreen.
  • spatt77
    Hi, well there is the cost saving, but i`ve talked to a few guys that reckon you get much stronger after a couple of months of commuting but not sure my short commute will have the desired effect!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So just ride it for fun...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Just do it by bike.
    What other way would you be doing it? Car? Short journeys like that a car doesn't have time to warm up properly, and you just accelerate damage to the vehicle.
    That, and adding to congestion and air pollution problems while doing so.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    If you want to ride further than 6 miles sometimes, ride further. Mine's only 8 miles and I get a benefit from it. Beats sitting on a train as well.
  • spatt77
    Well I might burn up a 1000 calories extra a day so that`s got to be worth it eh! Could do with losing a bit of timber! My morning ride will be fasted so could be a good fat burner :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The shortest way for me to work is 8.3 miles but now I'm doing 10 regularly and that involves a slight detour cause finishing on 9.9 bugs the hell out of me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    spatt77 wrote:
    Well I might burn up a 1000 calories extra a day so that`s got to be worth it eh! Could do with losing a bit of timber! My morning ride will be fasted so could be a good fat burner :D

12 miles a day is nowhere near 1000 calories, more like 4-500 - sorry!. Just enjoy the ride. You don't need to lycra up either, you're just going to work.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    HamishD wrote:
    spatt77 wrote:

12 miles a day is nowhere near 1000 calories, more like 4-500 - sorry!. Just enjoy the ride. You don't need to lycra up either, you're just going to work.

fairly sure I don't burn 1000 calories for 24 miles a day, possibly a 400 ish, I ride fairly sedately in civies as long as its not hot its sweat free, and less than walking!

looking at others what I loose in speed i probably gain in not changing. and hassle factor.