Nivolet or Sanetsch

manxshred
manxshred Posts: 295
edited July 2018 in Tour & expedition
I am heading to France in July for the Tour du Mont Blanc and am looking to do a warm up ride a few days before. I am arriving in Geneva on the Tuesday late afternoon, and am looking to do a ride on Wednesday morning. I’d like to do a good climb and descend to get my head into the descending mode, and was looking at climbs that are not normal options.

I’ve found two that are in the area:

Colle del Nivolet in Italy, or the Col du Sanetsch in Switzerland. Both look like good climbs, on quiet roads and spectacular terrain.

Anyone done these or have any views on which I should choose?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I come from the area... the Nivolet is stunning, but there is a 3 km tunnel with an 8-9% gradient to get to Ceresole. Not pleasant on the way up, as you will be in it for 20 minutes or so. It can be avoided using the old road, but I have no knowledge of it being still rideable... it's closed to traffic and I suspect it is in bad conditions... that said, it might be rideable with care. You can of course drive to Ceresole and make it the base.... that still leaves you 1000 mt of vertical ascent, which combined with the altitude, it makes for a challenging climb. The reservoir lake in Ceresole is very nice and you can even swim to relax after the climb.

Bit of a drive from Geneva and the Mont Blanc tunnel toll is 40 quid
    left the forum March 2023
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    Slightly out of date now but the old road on the Nivolet is discussed in the comments here.
    http://inrng.com/2013/11/roads-ride-colle-del-nivolet/
  • manxshred
    This is more current: http://www.cycling-challenge.com/colle-del-nivolet-2/

I think the Nivolet looks good over the Sanetsch. I'll just have to go back another time for the Sanetsch.
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    Wow! Looks absolutely stunning from those pictures!
  • manxshred
    edited July 2018
    I ride the Nivolet today. Beautiful day, beautiful climb!

Unfortunately the old road is closed off by a gate now, and a sign saying no walkers and cyclists, so it was up the tunnel, which want that bad, at least it was cooler. The climb did go on a bit. I got to the to dam thinking I was there and there is still quite a bit of climbing to go. The road surface is very poor in places, but well worth the effort. I'll post some pics when I'm home.

0SaL3Vxqcu0R18JpnyMg0UYVEThjNeaUS-GX9t59HnAZ4SjsXvSRULSKF2NAbSdVvKQOBxcuoRmIuH2E5DAjBP3SW9HmL1Wq8FOfy9t6dsmiXS2c_BZJhufbxZ7ZxiTwBUYpEl_y=w800

qNgd9QwCQlRDzC6P3c7Jx_BvZvqGHr68v3d_RVpxsaCGErwbUZCsUVfPftqmZD5IH2jBKGJ6qJtazK_xidnhzRrIRMtkvy-4n56D-TSMrapj27jvAVhr73QR9hPoDAx72UDMEqt2=w800

DmxFpO2XrWMEnHPCj-XYNDg3_-Olas3PY1FkL8_WtPSEUT42Np0DKDn95KkQZhSiycRI88fZlKlWAhp6UFvOiFlw15gDEGKnCMYZ2G243fbnp8I67y2YmmCx2TqelWCAwJDvkLjn=w800
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Well done!

I was born round there and I've never done it... :-(
    left the forum March 2023
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    The Arpettaz just south of Annecy is a quiet climb with a great descent down towards Ugine? I think, can't remember... it's got a write up on cycling challenge web pages.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    The Arpettaz just south of Annecy is a quiet climb with a great descent down towards Ugine? I think, can't remember... it's got a write up on cycling challenge web pages.

More north of Albertville but it depends on your PoV. Yes one of the nicest switchback ascents I know.

Ceresole is where the Turin smart set spend their weekends out of the heat. A couple of episodes of the Italian police series Non uccidere are set up there where they are looking for a missing woman.

http://lasentinella.gelocal.it/ivrea/cr ... 1.11895186
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    davidof wrote:

More north of Albertville but it depends on your PoV. Yes one of the nicest switchback ascents I know.

Ceresole is where the Turin smart set spend their weekends out of the heat. A couple of episodes of the Italian police series Non uccidere are set up there where they are looking for a missing woman.

http://lasentinella.gelocal.it/ivrea/cr ... 1.11895186

Somewhere between the two :P I've stayed a few times in Doussard and we always class that as Annecy when talking to friends relatives about our holiday.