Apple TV help needed

PinarelloPrince
PinarelloPrince Posts: 124
I'm ancient and a bit of a technical numpty so simplicity is the key here folks.

I just bought a Tacx Flux smart trainer. I managed to get it set up and working in no time at all. Using my woodworking skills (useless with tech but handy with a hammer) I made a lovely oak TV stand - aptly in a Charles Rennie McIntosh style. On it is now hanging a lovely 42 inch Samsung.

After a bit of faffing with a Firestick and my iPhone 6s I managed to get my phone to mirror and was able to get Zwift working on the TV. No matter how I tried though I couldn't get FulGaz to work.

So I bought a wire thing to connect my phone to HDMI on the tele. Again, bit of a faff but I got there. Again, Zwift is working but all I get from FulGaz is all of the numbers and the sound but no pictures. After a bit of digging I find out it's not my incompetence but a glitch following a recent Apple upgrade. It may be fixed. It's likely to be whenever

I've now wasted hours on this and am losing the will to live, let alone ride.

But, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I hear that Zwift and FulGaz are available as apps on Apple TV. My problem is twofold - I don't have an Apple TV and I do t know how apps run on said device.

I'm happy to lay out another £120 quid or so on an Apple TV thingy if I can be sure that Zwift and FulGaz will work with no faff or fuss. Will they?

Apologies for the long post. Advise me. But layman's terms please. I'm all ears

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Its a little more than £120 unless you get a s/h one.

The new Apple TVs are basically just the smart bit of the smart phone - but attached to the TV for output. They have their own memory and processor and you can load apps on via Apple Store - just like the phone - BUT - the apps must be available for Apple TV. Zwift certainly is - no idea on FulGaz - you'd have to look that up.

The other way is that the Apple TV can mirror your iPhone/iPad/Apple Laptop display - same as your firestick - whether that's any good for Fulgaz or not I've no idea.

I think your best bet is to contact Fulgaz and ask them about compatibility before splashing out.

FulGaz help says they use a lightning to HDMI adapter at expo's - so I'd stick with that one if I were you.
  • Slowbike wrote:

FulGaz help says they use a lightning to HDMI adapter at expo's - so I'd stick with that one if I were you.

They do indeed say that. I'd be delighted to use that method. Simple and cheap.

Unfortunately, from what I can find out, the Apple update has beggered that up. Amazing that Apple do an upgrade and you effectively have no product.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    As fulgaz is based entirely on apple architecture, I would imagine that a solution would be quickly found. Why dont you email Mike. Im sure he will be happy to update you...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Slowbike wrote:

They do indeed say that. I'd be delighted to use that method. Simple and cheap.

Unfortunately, from what I can find out, the Apple update has beggered that up. Amazing that Apple do an upgrade and you effectively have no product.

Yep, the latest update has buggered up a lot of things. I used to link my iPad to a large screen TV with a lightening to HDMI lead for Sufferfest etc, but it now won't connect.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    In general I wait a month before updating any apple product!
  • StillGoing
    FatTed wrote:
    In general I wait a month before updating any apple product!

I did, but the info about it messing up lightening to HDMI never materialised.
  • notleyboy
    notleyboy Posts: 14
    Hi Pinarelloprince,

I use the 4k AppleTv for both Zwift and FulGaz (AppleTv version of FulGaz just released in last few days). It works very well for both, and saves my iphone battery especially on Zwift which is processor intensive.

FulGaz on AppleTv also allows 4k footage which is great.

Only foible is the limited number of Bluetooth connections the AppleTv supports (2 + Apple Remote control), if you have a smart trainer, HR monitor and Cadence sensors you will need to use the Zwift Companion App to get all three connected to Zwift. For FulGaz there is no companion app so I usually just connect Smart Trainer and HR.

So for me ATV is a great solution for these apps and at under £200 saves my phone.

Chris
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    notleyboy wrote:
    Hi Pinarelloprince,

I use the 4k AppleTv for both Zwift and FulGaz (AppleTv version of FulGaz just released in last few days). It works very well for both, and saves my iphone battery especially on Zwift which is processor intensive.

FulGaz on AppleTv also allows 4k footage which is great.

Only foible is the limited number of Bluetooth connections the AppleTv supports (2 + Apple Remote control), if you have a smart trainer, HR monitor and Cadence sensors you will need to use the Zwift Companion App to get all three connected to Zwift. For FulGaz there is no companion app so I usually just connect Smart Trainer and HR.

So for me ATV is a great solution for these apps and at under £200 saves my phone.

Chris

Another shout for the Apple 4ktv, works great with Zwift!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • StillGoing
    Or a half decent lap top/desk top with HDMI output linked to a large TV screen. That way you can get Zwift, Sufferfest, Training Peaks, TrainerRoad, FulGaz etc etc with an ANT+ dongle.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Find an atv4 or the 4k one in your local branch of cex. Take in all your games, blu ray, firestick, cables etc. Get loads of money off.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Find an atv4 or the 4k one in your local branch of cex. Take in all your games, blu ray, firestick, cables etc. Get loads of money off.

I'm assuming you mean get vouchers for stuff I sell instead of cash.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Find an atv4 or the 4k one in your local branch of cex. Take in all your games, blu ray, firestick, cables etc. Get loads of money off.

I'm assuming you mean get vouchers for stuff I sell instead of cash.

Yes.

So, scope out on their website what the trade in value of each of your items is.

A grade is boxed, B grade is unboxed. If it's electronic they will need to test it out.

Once it's all tallied up then they will give you a voucher against their products.

Now, if they have an ATV in stock, all good. If not you can take the voucher away, get the online and use the voucher on there. They send you back any unused parts of it or you pay the balance.

So, here's the 4k ATV by grade and memory:

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=apple%20tv%204k

And the non 4k by grade and memory:

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=apple ... 04th%20gen

64GB is PROBABLY better as a file such as the Galibier will take up about 3GB if I recall. It's always better to download them to the box.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Another step forward. Managed to bag a 4K Apple TV off eBay for £115. Boxed and sealed. Unwanted present. Bargain.

Let's hope this works.