I'm organising my first road race in September...

ju5t1n
ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
edited June 2018 in Amateur race
After many years of riding them I think I've good a fairly good idea of what riders expect from a race organiser but it would be great to get the thoughts of you lot.

I'm organising NEG, accredited marshals etc - but what else makes for a good safe race?

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Link to event is here if you'd like to enter...

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Road-Race

It's on Sunday 23rd September, near Oxford.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Good luck. I suspect your biggest challenge at that end of the year will be entries, given that many riders will be winding down their seasons by then. Do you know if it clashes with any cx dates?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have you used the resources at British Cycling - just to check you've thought of everything ?

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/becom ... torganiser
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Don't give refunds to people that phone up after entries close, make it clear in advance, once the start sheet is out that's it would be my advice.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • LWLondon
    LWLondon Posts: 55
    Any reason you've gone 2/3/4? I would be surprised if many 4ths would enter a race with 2's in (maybe I'm wrong though!)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Try to get the finish line on a straight uphill section (even if only a few percent uphill), it will string them out making it easier for you but also safer. You can't have too much signage, have a good look around the course beforehand to work out where you think there should be some (possibly more than the course risk assessment says) and whether there are features you can attach the signs to without causing safety issues (sticking into the road or blocking visibility) and have as many marshalls as your race budget allows. Hopefully you'll get good, strong commissaires that will keep control of the riders on the day - all you can do as the organiser is anticipate the hazards then record them and any mitigation you are putting in place. Check the course a couple of days before so you have a chance to address any issues that arise and then again on race day (the chief comm should do a pre-race check but certainly worth doing your own as well).
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    My advice would be, don't be afraid to use your region's REO (regional events officer) to ask for advice, opinions, help, etc. That's what they are there for, and it's in their interest to see a well-run race with a confident organiser who will keep organising races in years to come.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Urgh...isn't that course really flat?
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Talk to farmers / stables on the course, they mostly won't mind but appreciate knowing in advance.