Whyte T130 S 2018 v's Marin B17 3 2018

matt_cartlidge
matt_cartlidge Posts: 44
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

torn between the following, both currently reduced in price:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mo ... ver_454584

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/14421 ... range.aspx

After my 1st full suss bike after riding hardtails for years, both great spec's love the look of the Marin with the raw alloy and don't mind the colour of the whyte but wouldn't be my first choice. The bike will be used for trail centres and also some natural riding. Thoughts?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Neither would be a let down, very similar specs, and the latest Rev is 35mm Chassis anyway so I'm not currently sure of the differences between a Pike and the latest Rev.

The Marin is a single Pivot rear and the Whyte's four bar should give it an edge, plus Whyte have stuck with longer stroke shocks with a lower leverage which gives them a good consistency on longer rougher trails. So I think I'd just shade towards the Whyte.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Whyte, it gets top marks in every review and has won trail bike of the year.
  • Ok thanks, had a feeling the whyte would be the choice. If it was still available in orange like they did the previous year or it would be in my garage already.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Bit torn on this one. I read the Whyte spec and thought it was pretty good value at the sale price. Then Inread the Marin spec for even less money and it’s got the edge - has a metric super deluxe shock and a Pike. So it’ll have better damping on the front (charger damper vs Motion Control) and if you do a lot of long downhills the shock is better on the Marin.

The only thing is the Marin is a 27.5+ I think so ha wider tyres - and I couldn’t find a geometry chart.

The White t-130 has always got good reviews - have you found any for the Marin? Also can you test ride both?

On paper the Marin is a better spec but that doesn’t tell the whole story.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Whyte rides like it has much more travel than 130mm. I mean that in a good way as it feels bottomless, but light. The way the suspension works (if it is set up correctly) inspires confidence. I have owned bikes with travel from 50mm to 165mm travel and the Whyte is outstanding. Stiff but robust frame and components that just seem to cruise straight through the rough stuff. Right now I am lucky enough to have two bikes and my go-to bike is the Whyte, My other bike is a YT Capra (a FS 165mm travel). Thinking of selling the Capra as it doesn't get used that much.

I know nothing about the Marin, so no comment.
  • Matty2B
    Matty2B Posts: 62
    edited June 2018
    The Rookie wrote:
    Neither would be a let down, very similar specs, and the latest Rev is 35mm Chassis anyway so I'm not currently sure of the differences between a Pike and the latest Rev.

The Marin is a single Pivot rear and the Whyte's four bar should give it an edge, plus Whyte have stuck with longer stroke shocks with a lower leverage which gives them a good consistency on longer rougher trails. So I think I'd just shade towards the Whyte.
    The Marin is a faux bar rather than a pure single pivot. I have been very happy with my Hawk Hill which is a very similar bike. I rode the Whyte and they are pretty long; I felt in between sizes whereas the medium Marin being that bit shorter in reach was better suited to my dimensions. YMMV though, both are excellent choices.
    Getting better slowly, one crash at a time!
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
    Kinesis Tripster AT, SRAM Apex
    Specialized Crossroads 2000
  • The Rookie
    Faux bar is single pivot, just linkage driven rather than direct driven shock (other versions of single pivot linkage driven exist as well, but at the end of the day it’s still single pivot).

As both this article AND THE ONE YOU LINKED TO tell you.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/arti ... ems-50849/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    As above, both seem like excellent bikes on paper. If you can test both, I’d simply go for the one that feels like the best fit.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Matty2B
    The Rookie wrote:
    Faux bar is single pivot, just linkage driven rather than direct driven shock (other versions of single pivot linkage driven exist as well, but at the end of the day it’s still single pivot).

As both this article AND THE ONE YOU LINKED TO tell you.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/arti ... ems-50849/
    Yes, well aware of that thanks, no need for the caps :roll:. My point was that it is not a pure single pivot which the OP may have believed from your original post; there is a linkage in there. Don't worry, I edited my original post from "true" to "pure" to satisfy your pedantic streak :D .
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
  • The Rookie
    It is a pure single pivot, there is nothing else that effects the axle path, how the shock is driven doesn't change that, a bad faux bar could have a worse shock curve than a good non linkage driven, fact remains its a single pivot.
  • Matty2B
    The Rookie wrote:
    It is a pure single pivot, there is nothing else that effects the axle path, how the shock is driven doesn't change that, a bad faux bar could have a worse shock curve than a good non linkage driven, fact remains its a single pivot.
    Pretty sure at this point the OP doesn't care. I certainly don't. Go for a ride, this topic seems to be winding you up for some reason.
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
  • The Rookie
    I made the point it was a single pivot, technically inferior to a four bar, you said it wasn't when it is (and your linked article says it is), so you're confusing the OP with an incorrect statement. It is relevant to the buying decision and continuing to post about it.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I agree that all single pivots have one axle path, ie an arc of a circle. But the velocity around that path is varied by the linkage. Hence the proper name which is "linkage driven single pivot". Because they look like a four bar (but are not) they became known as "faux bar" (faux as in false). Where the main pivot is located also affects how the suspension performs.

Single pivot fanatics would not consider a linkage driven single pivot, maybe it was them that called the linkage driven ones a faux bar?

As for single pivot vs four bar (not faux bar), which is "better" is like arguing spds vs flats. It is a matter of personal taste, often driven by where you ride and your riding experience.
  • Matty2B
    The Rookie wrote:
    I made the point it was a single pivot, technically inferior to a four bar, you said it wasn't when it is (and your linked article says it is), so you're confusing the OP with an incorrect statement. It is relevant to the buying decision and continuing to post about it.
    Rest assured he is un-confused now thanks to your comprehensive rant on the topic :roll: :wink:
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
  • The Rookie
    It’s you that started it and are still commenting needlessly isn’t it? Just admit you messed up, buy a pear tree.