Staying in Luz St Sauveur.....

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited June 2018 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to Luz in a couple of weeks time, for 9 nights, to ride the 'obvious' climbs in the locale, but being my first time to Pyrenees, it will all be new to me. :D

Are there any other less known climbs in the area that I should check out - or any to avoid?

Also, as we'll be self-catering, whereabouts is the best supermarket in the area?

TIA....

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Well, the climb up to Lac D'Estaing is nice and quiet. Come back down for the Col de Borderes which takes you over to the Soulor. Cautarets is a nice easy climb to acclimatise the legs. You can choose to continue up the much harder climb to Pont d'espagne if you like (well worth a look)

If you want to explore a bit further afield, St.Lary is a good departure point for Pla D'adet, Col D'Azet and the stunning Lac Cap de Long.

You're spoilt for choice really.
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Thanks for those. They look good, Lac Cap is a long detour though..
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I haven't done them yet but plan to do either Tentes and/or Troumouse. Supposed to be really beautiful.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Col de Spandelles is a lovely quiet alternative to the Soulor and makes a nice loop coming back up the Soulor from Ferrieres. The loop over to Bagneres de Bigorre and then back over the Tourmalet is another circular ride worth doing.
    A bigger day is over the Tourmalet and Aspin then back over the Hourcette d'Anzizans and Tourmalet.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D