Everesting Hardknott Pass

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited June 2018 in The bottom bracket
We decided this morning to go to Hardknott (sic?) in a couple of weeks to Everest it.

Anyone have any recommendations for somewhere nice to stay nearby and a nice pub for a pint and a packet of piggy feet afterwards?
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• I'd recommend a 36-23 gear set up
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Going to leave current gearing on the race bike to do it- busy at work so no time (or real inclination, tbh) to change it.

But cool - will pass on recommendation to the MFs. Tante grazie.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    i've used the wasdale head inn as a base when going up scafell etc., rooms ok, great brekkie, nice steak in the evening

it's a few km ride from there to the bottom of pass but that's good to warm up, wast water is scenic and as it's a dead end at wasdale head the road is quiet
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've not done it but hear the descent is quite tricky. I wouldn't be keen on doing it multiple times in a day with fatigue setting in.

https://youtu.be/2UJGdLTriIM
  • cougie wrote:
    I've not done it but hear the descent is quite tricky. I wouldn't be keen on doing it multiple times in a day with fatigue setting in.

https://youtu.be/2UJGdLTriIM

3 years ago, but ss that the standard of riding on a Sportive?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd be pretty sure that the hill hasn't flattened out in the past three years ?

Clearly that's an indication of some folks riding anyway.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    About 30 ascents by my calculations...
    Can you post the Strava file with big fanfare so that we all see it when it's done? I mean, somewhere more meaningful than the bottom bracket...

I would carry spare brake pads...
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Will you be doing it with a club? Actually, you and the MFs could form your own very exclusive club. I should think there would be endless arguments about club kit design.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Second the Wasdale Head - but also the Boot Inn, in Boot, is a cracking place. I've driven over Hard Knott (and Wrynose) several times over the winter and spring - be aware that the road surface is very poor in some places - take care.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    How about Hardknotting Everest? You'd only need to get part the way towards base camp then you could turn round and freewheel to the pub.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    How about Hardknotting Everest? You'd only need to get part the way towards base camp then you could turn round and freewheel to the pub.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    This wins bottom bracket for today! :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:

thats actually not a bad idea - probably he less nobbers in their 4x4s as well......

hmmmm... got me thinking.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Do you need to watch a motivational video?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited June 2018
    As you reference yourself in the third person does this make every ascent times three?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Matthewfalle
    Slowmart wrote:
    As you reference yourself in the third person dies thus make every ascent times three?

and the MFs take a couple of computers and an extra power monitor then by the timeits all set up they should only have to ride it twice.

sorted.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Slowmart wrote:
    As you reference yourself in the third person dies thus make every ascent times three?

and the MFs take a couple of computers and an extra power monitor then by the timeits all set up they should only have to ride it twice.

sorted.
    You are milemuncher and I claim my five quid.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]