Womens racing. what a waste of time.

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited June 2018 in Pro race
Or so it would seem, I actually quite like it, its different to the mens but frequently better to watch.

This year the organisers and sponsors are paying the same prize money to the women as to the men and what are they getting from the great cycling community? Well judging by the comments in here almost no interest.

And yet the great defenders of diversity and equality and the oh so right on actually dont give appear to give a hoot when there are more important things to keep them focused.

Topics like how much orange will be on a corner,
Tour de Swiss
Tubeless tires
Pages and pages about the mens version.

Perhaps womens racing is just crap.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,234
    Sometimes it’s better when you keep your “opinions” to yourself.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    There's not enough coverage, or not enough easy to get to coverage. I have to follow on Twitter with short clips to give me updates. The racing is great!
  • Women’s racing is great, but due to almost zero TV time much harder to follow.

The lack of a women’s grand tour doesn’t exactly help. It’s 2018 ffs, really shouldn’t be like this.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Women’s racing is great, but due to almost zero TV time much harder to follow.

The lack of a women’s grand tour doesn’t exactly help. It’s 2018 ffs, really shouldn’t be like this.

Absoloutley agree. Ive seen almost as much tv coverage of sportives as i have womens racing.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I think you're spot on tbh - the gulf between the commentary on the mens races vs the women's race currently on is significant.

In some sports (e.g. tennis) the difference in the spectacle is significant and I can see why some would prefer watching one particular gender (some prefer women's, some prefer men's) and in other sports the professional level for women's sport is visibly less entertaining than men's (e.g. I would suggest football or cricket). But there really shouldn't be any reason why getting involved in women's cycling should be less appealing to fan's of the sport overall.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Yes when there is decent coverage and a back story I know about I enjoy it as much as the mens - so Nicole Cooke's various worlds and Olympic bids were gripping.

I tend to follow the sport through Eurosport and this forum, I don't really buy magazines, read many websites etc so my knowledge of women's racing is limited hence I can't really discuss it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    The TdY had live coverage every day - but I can't see anywhere to watch the Women's Tour live.

Can't really get involved in a spoiler thread when you can't see it.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    As others have said, very hard to follow compared to men's cycling. I generally try and watch the Giro Rosa as I'm in Italy on those dates and can follow on RAI (it gets 3 million viewers in Italy) btw. I've even watched stages on the road.

Isn't the new UCI boss (David Lappartment) ambivalent women's cycling?

I see the Route de France Feminine (ex-womens' Tour de France) has been cancelled for the second year running due to organisation difficulties.

https://www.org-rc.fr/
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    davidof wrote:

I see the Route de France Feminine (ex-womens' Tour de France) has been cancelled for the second year running due to organisation difficulties.

When Lappartient took over as French Federation President they had the Tour de l'Aude, La Grande Boucle and the Route de Feminine. By the time he left the Federation they had all been cancelled.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    RichN95 wrote:
    davidof wrote:

When Lappartient took over as French Federation President they had the Tour de l'Aude, La Grande Boucle and the Route de Feminine. By the time he left the Federation they had all been cancelled.

Yeah, says it all really.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    When I go out for a ride on Sunday morning it's 99% blokes. Perhaps if more women had an interest in cycling there would be more interest in womens cycling?

Even in France, it's relatively rare to see a woman riding. Maybe it's just not that interesting to women.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    imafatman wrote:
    When I go out for a ride on Sunday morning it's 99% blokes. Perhaps if more women had an interest in cycling there would be more interest in womens cycling?

Even in France, it's relatively rare to see a woman riding. Maybe it's just not that interesting to women.

Is it really 99% men ? It's predominantly men round here too of course but nothing like that extent. There are local womens rides meet and on the chain gangs and fast training rides it's still probably a good 10% women, and of course that many more women can't keep up with those compared to men. I'm talking about club cyclists on road bikes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    About 1/3 of our club members are ladies.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    As others said the coverage is terrible for the Women's Tour, I thought I'd sit and watch some while having lunch yesterday expecting ITV4 to have live coverage but apparently repeats of 80s TV shows are more interesting to TV execs.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    About 1/3 of our club members are ladies.

I did a sportive last weekend, and there were loads of women, it was refreshing. And the level of equipment was generally very high as was the level of fitness. A far cry from when i first rode cyclosportives on the continent when any woman riding was exceptional to the point that people would cheer :)
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Our club is near as dammit 50/50. The chain gang I rode last week was about 40% female too - I'd love to be able to watch The Women's Tour live. The audience is out there!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    imafatman wrote:

Is it really 99% men ? It's predominantly men round here too of course but nothing like that extent. There are local womens rides meet and on the chain gangs and fast training rides it's still probably a good 10% women, and of course that many more women can't keep up with those compared to men. I'm talking about club cyclists on road bikes.

Not rare in France, well not round here anyway. My club has a women's only group too (not saying this is good, just a fact).
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    I did a sportive last weekend, and there were loads of women, it was refreshing.
    Which one? Cobbler Classic? I did that one and yes there were many women taking part, though I wasn't that surprised.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    there seems to be less talk about doping in womens cycling . so you will get less idiots continually starting new pointless topics about them. i see loads of women out cycling and plenty in my club . planning on going to watch the womens tour on sunday in north wales .
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Women’s racing is great, but due to almost zero TV time much harder to follow.

Absoloutley agree. Ive seen almost as much tv coverage of sportives as i have womens racing.
    highlights on ITV4 at 8pm
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Is it perhaps the case that their isn't the same strength in depth in the women's peloton compared to the men's? If this is the case, perhaps it stops the TV companies and sponsors from investing in women's racing.

That one-off mountain race last year where Lizzie Deignan finished second was pretty exciting. The ladies need events like that and good coverage and maybe things will advance. The Ladies Tour of Flanders is an opportunity to showcase both races simultaneously. I think they didn't even show the finishing straight finale of the women's race live during the overall coverage, just some recorded footage a few minutes later, even though Carlton was describing the ladies' finish live and lamenting the fact that the local producer was responsible for the footage Eurosport can show. They did a better job at showing the women's race finish of La Fleche Wallone.

This observation might also be inaccurate but you have the "glamour factor" too. Liz Hatch probably got an inordinate amount of coverage as a bike rider because she is an attractive woman (IMHO), not because she was a big winner within the sport. The riders shouldn't be judged by their looks and women's cycling shouldn't "need" attractive-looking competitors to garner coverage but maybe that is still a factor in the minds of sponsors and TV producers.

DD.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    If people watched it they'd give it better coverage.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think the women's tob was great last year and has started really well this year.

It's generally exciting from the off and it's great to see it growing.

However, itv don't help with their tob coverage. The highlights are fine (obviously live coverage would be better) but the primary commentator puts you to sleep. He doesn't show any excitement and full sprints and attacks somehow lose something for the viewer from his lack of enthusiasm. And i suspect makes the race seem quite boring for casual viewers.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    It's the age-old dilemma - not enough of the general public are interested in womens' cycling, so ITV puts on 80s TV repeats as they are more popular. If they showed more, there may be more interest generated, but why would they?

It's a similar argument with the gender pay difference in cycling. Why is there far more money in mens' cycling? Because more people watch mens' cycling, so more TV companies will show it, therefore more sponsors want to be associated with it.

Paying women the same as men does nothing but bend reality. Womens' cycling as a commercial spectacle is not as valuable as mens', so there is no justification for rewarding women the same as men for racing.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    redvision wrote:
    I think the women's tob was great last year and has started really well this year.

It's generally exciting from the off and it's great to see it growing.

However, itv don't help with their tob coverage. The highlights are fine (obviously live coverage would be better) but the primary commentator puts you to sleep. He doesn't show any excitement and full sprints and attacks somehow lose something for the viewer from his lack of enthusiasm. And i suspect makes the race seem quite boring for casual viewers.
    Have we just discovered the perfect job for a certain Mr Kirby??
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    gsk82 wrote:
    If people watched it they'd give it better coverage.
    Well i started watching it, found the coverage too rubbish, then stopped.

Haven't seen what happened today but yesterday was a fun stage, just hard to follow with the poor coverage and highlights.
  • Vino'sGhost
    orraloon wrote:
    I did a sportive last weekend, and there were loads of women, it was refreshing.
    Which one? Cobbler Classic? I did that one and yes there were many women taking part, though I wasn't that surprised.
    The dragon ride it was a good day for it :)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Is it perhaps the case that their isn't the same strength in depth in the women's peloton compared to the men's? If this is the case, perhaps it stops the TV companies and sponsors from investing in women's racing.

That one-off mountain race last year where Lizzie Deignan finished second was pretty exciting. The ladies need events like that and good coverage and maybe things will advance. The Ladies Tour of Flanders is an opportunity to showcase both races simultaneously. I think they didn't even show the finishing straight finale of the women's race live during the overall coverage, just some recorded footage a few minutes later, even though Carlton was describing the ladies' finish live and lamenting the fact that the local producer was responsible for the footage Eurosport can show. They did a better job at showing the women's race finish of La Fleche Wallone.

This observation might also be inaccurate but you have the "glamour factor" too. Liz Hatch probably got an inordinate amount of coverage as a bike rider because she is an attractive woman (IMHO), not because she was a big winner within the sport. The riders shouldn't be judged by their looks and women's cycling shouldn't "need" attractive-looking competitors to garner coverage but maybe that is still a factor in the minds of sponsors and TV producers.

DD.
    I’ve often wondered if there was strength in depth, there’s certainly not much in amateur domestic racing
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Lucan2 wrote:
    It's the age-old dilemma - not enough of the general public are interested in womens' cycling, so ITV puts on 80s TV repeats as they are more popular. If they showed more, there may be more interest generated, but why would they?

It's a similar argument with the gender pay difference in cycling. Why is there far more money in mens' cycling? Because more people watch mens' cycling, so more TV companies will show it, therefore more sponsors want to be associated with it.

Paying women the same as men does nothing but bend reality. Womens' cycling as a commercial spectacle is not as valuable as mens', so there is no justification for rewarding women the same as men for racing.

This.

It's the same reason F1 drivers, golfers and footballers get paid gazillions and why most of us can't name any crown green bowlers. Nothing to do with fairness and everything to do with market forces. I don't see a big demand for women's cycling out there if I'm honest. There's not a lot of jiu jitsu on tele either.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    orraloon wrote:
    The dragon ride it was a good day for it :)
    l'etape are qouting 500+ women riders out of 4,000+ total riders on the Dragon Ride,

None of them finished behind me :oops: