unhealthy hobby riders

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    larkim wrote:
    Sadly I don't live near enough to work to ride there, otherwise that would be an easy option to keep the volume high enough without impacting daily life.

I used to work in Cambridge and drive to work and so did not use the bike - the drive was 30 miles on motorway. Cambridge is actually quite suited to biking so I drove to the opposite side of Camb and then biked through it. That worked and is a good way to start the day.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    keef66 wrote:
    Well I've got to the stage where if I catch sight of myself in my cycling kit I think that guy looks fit and trim!

It can be done!

Yeah, I am now the size where there is no unsightly bulges where there shouldnt be any in my Lycra .... yet despite this, I can't bring myself to wear it in public if I will be seen off the bike
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    FishFish wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Sadly I don't live near enough to work to ride there, otherwise that would be an easy option to keep the volume high enough without impacting daily life.

I used to work in Cambridge and drive to work and so did not use the bike - the drive was 30 miles on motorway. Cambridge is actually quite suited to biking so I drove to the opposite side of Camb and then biked through it. That worked and is a good way to start the day.

I've done similar in the past, but current location doesn't really lend itself to doing that unfortunately. But it can be a good solution for many.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    larkim wrote:
    You get so much more bang for your buck running - even just a 20-25 minute hard 5k would be difficult to replicate for the overall impact through cycling.

Just ride your bike harder.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    larkim wrote:
    You get so much more bang for your buck running - even just a 20-25 minute hard 5k would be difficult to replicate for the overall impact through cycling.

Just ride your bike harder.

Yeah -- or just don't wear the Lycra -- that'll make it harder to push and you'll be able to go shopping ( even in the next town ) without worrying about mentally scaring innocent shoppers.
  • larkim
    Yebbut cycling is on-effort, off-effort by its nature - hills, corners, traffic lights, headwinds, tailwinds. Miles more impact than running where even running downhill can be a signficant effort.

It's the lack of being able to put in a consistent effort (I could on a trainer etc, but I don't have one) that, in my experience at least, makes it harder for me to get a good workout cycling compared to running.

Plus it doesn't help that I am a worse cyclist than I am a runner - less powerful legs I guess.
  • cowsham
    larkim wrote:
    (I could on a trainer etc, but I don't have one)

Get one then -- running is bad for your knees
  • cowsham
    Cowsham wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Get one then -- running is bad for your knees[/quote?]

So is toe straps, clip on shoes and gay Christian churches.
  • larkim
    Cowsham wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Get one then -- running is bad for your knees
    That's a myth, by the way.
  • cowsham
    Can anyone explain why a nappy under the Lycra is better than a padded saddle? I don't get it -- surely a nappy restricts your movement all of the time, plus a possible chaffing issue, when the padded seat only restricts movement if at all when seated?. Isn't one as heavy as the other?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Originally the chamois wasn't for padding, it was to absorb sweat and prevent chafing.

You need to sit on the bones in your backside. A heavily padded saddle will make them sink in and you'll take the pressure on the soft tissue behind your balls. Which is mighty uncomfortable after a few miles.

Padded shorts have firm padding and just take a bit of pressure off the bones. The main reson for the padding is the same as before.

Ride enough and your backside toughens up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cowsham
    cooldad wrote:
    Originally the chamois wasn't for padding, it was to absorb sweat and prevent chafing.

You need to sit on the bones in your backside. A heavily padded saddle will make them sink in and you'll take the pressure on the soft tissue behind your balls. Which is mighty uncomfortable after a few miles.

Padded shorts have firm padding and just take a bit of pressure off the bones. The main reson for the padding is the same as before.

Ride enough and your backside toughens up.

So what your saying is that saddles are made the wrong shape and you need the chamois to make your bum sit right -- or it's our bums that are made wrong -- either way it seems we need an interface between the two -- it then follows that this interface needs to be tailored to the bum in question is that correct?
  • cooldad
    That's not what I'm saying at all. Quite the opposite. Try again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cowsham
    cooldad wrote:
    That's not what I'm saying at all. Quite the opposite. Try again.

I think the best thing to do is to try a nappy then try a special saddle and see what suits best -- I don't sweat much -- sweat more on the upper body than down below.
  • cooldad
    What's this stuff about nappies? Maybe you should stick to Mumsnet.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:
    What's this stuff about nappies? Maybe you should stick to Mumsnet.

Isn't that basically just full of dildo buying advice?
    Just like road cycling forums.
  • cooldad
    You sound like an expert. I bow to your inside knowledge.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • only been out a few times sine the weather improved, cant beat the feeling of getting the heart pumping in glorious surroundings!

cargo shorts and a tee for me.... the hardware and attachments are half decent, the rider & clobber are most definitely not but it wont detract from the enjoyment! (a cardio workout is a secondary bonus!).

will aim for 2-3 rides a week until winter.
  • shoud have added....

me =38, 5"8', 11 stone, drinker & former smoker.
    bike = 26" btwin rafal 740 (11.5kg).... LOVE IT!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A couple years ago I was extremely fit and fairly handy on a bike.
    A year and a half of pretty severe stress and working silly hours changed that. I'm now up to 16 stone and very unfit. Starting a new job tomorrow though so it's hopefully going to get back to where I was. I rode yesterday and had an awesome day right up until I pringled a wheel (must not land sideways). Hopefully riding and climbing will get my fitness back soon enough. A new bike park has opened up 20 minutes ride from home which will help motivation.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,334
    Starting a new job tomorrow though so it's hopefully going to get back to where I was.
    Good luck.
    I definitely fall into the unhealthy hobby rider category at the moment. 18 months of a sickly daughter (long term, but not serious) has meant a lot of driving to and from work due to appointments or working from home when I can. The less I've been riding the less I've felt inclined to ride. I've now decided I'm only going to ride to work when I feel like it, hopefully I will start to enjoy it again and get the motivation to go out for fun back. Then the fitness should come back.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    5'9" and around 13 stone, fairly fit and not carrying much tummy so not sure where the weight is...I'm hoping its because Muscle is more dense than fat!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • We're out in force now the suns out!

In the last month I've done 2-3 rides a week of 10-15 miles...most enjoyable!

It's funny how easy it is to spot us fair weather riders... And then there's those with a £3k full susser tootling round the canals with knee pads :D

Enjoy all!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    And then there's those with a £3k full susser tootling round the canals with knee pads :D

Are you following me? :)
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    A bit of banter is fine but some people here are too quick to judge on looks.

Cycling takes all sorts. I'm 130kg and obese but I've spent 6 months in the gym and putting in 250kms on the bike week in week out.

When I bought my cycling jersey the wife laughed but it's comfortable and the pockets are useful. I definitely get more looks from other cyclists and some seem to go out their way to turn their heads.

Do I give a shit? No, I'm working my arse off every day to get fit, anyone wants to criticise they are cunts and if they want to say something I'll put my foot up their farking arse real quick.

I don't personally wear lycra bottoms because I do have some sense of shame but I wouldn't judge anyone. I saw an absolute whale of a woman in full lycra and it wasn't a good look but my first thought was, good for her, she's outside trying to get fit and deserves no criticism.

If I am going to criticise anyone it's going to be the designer gear wearing prat's with no bike skills but even then I can't quite bring myself to give a shit. It's no skin of my back.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I am 23 feet tall and weigh 108 stones and 19lbs. Fortunately I w*nk a lot which has stunted my growth. Nonetheless I did win some gold medals at the olympics.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,334
    imafatman wrote:
    A bit of banter is fine but some people here are too quick to judge on looks.
    I think that's people in general, not just here. But, good for you. Get out there and enjoy it, as you say at least that woman was getting out there and trying to do something about it.
  • cowsham
    Bought a slightly softer better saddle -- added about 100g more to the bike but that's enough to fix a sore hole after 15 miles -- very pleased -- no Lycra for me -- I'll get away with a change of T shirt and I'm ready for a days work. A shower when I get home and I'm done. For me the bike has to be practical, fun and save me money not an instrument of torture and ridicule. Although I'm mid 50's and have always kept fit I have a good physique but I still think even fit people look ridiculous in Lycra. Preventing myself from busting with involuntary laughter when I see a fat PIL ( Peron In Lycra -- of any age or sex ) shopping is a difficult job.
  • hell27
    hell27 Posts: 21
    Love mountain biking but I need to upskill badly. Had a horrific off in June 2016 where I dislocated my left shoulder, and have had 2 more since then doing innocuous things. I am trying to improve jumping but given my history I get "the fear" and I'm sure it's holding me back. Me thinks some coaching is needed.
  • cowsham
    Well -- I've relented -- ate a large slice of humble pie and bought the full length Lycra cycling trousers ("tights " as the wife likes to call them ) with the padded nappy built in -- before I went on a big cycling expedition and I have to admit they did save my ass from being in tatters at the end of it. Got the two for £25 from sports direct so I had one pair while the sweat in the other dried out. :shock: