Mount Etna

cld531c
cld531c Posts: 517
edited August 2018 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Hopefully staying with a friend in Sicily later in the year and taking the bike over. Apparently they are not too far from Mount Etna. Anyone climed it? Is it as horrid as I suspect?

TIA

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Taken from the Giro this year:

Climb:-
    G18_T06_S01_Etna_alt_jpg.jpg

Finish:-
    G18_T06_Etna_ukm_jpg.jpg

stage-6-finish.jpg?01

3D route:-
    https://video.relive.cc/3317577269_reli ... site-embed
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Thanks
    Not too steep just a bloody long way!
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I did it from Nicolosi a few years back. The climb itself isn’t too bad, but it can get seriously hot and there’s no shade. Make sure you’re well hydrated when you start, and take plenty of water. Great experience, though.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    When are you going? I did it in October a few years back and got to 100m or so from the top and couldn't get any further as the road was covered in snow! It's a lovely climb with some great views. The descent was fecking freezing through and the group I was with were all suffering with hypothermia when we reached the bottom. The day we arrived, all the roads in the area were covered in volcanic ash due to a recent eruption, by the next morning all the major roads had been cleared, but some of the routes up the volcano were still covered. A day after that it was pretty much all cleared.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk