Geometery question / Canyons advice needed

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Would really appreciate some help with this.

I have a 2014 Canyon Ultimate Cf SLX. I got knocked off the other day; frame's cracked through and a replacement is on the cards. Fairly sure I'd like to replace with an Aeroad. I race a lot, road and crits, and this will be my primary traininf and racing bike.

I know the Aeroad is, size for size, longer and lower than the Ultimate. But given i've messed about with the stock Ultimate setup, i'm struggling to work out precisely how my current setup would compare.

Current set up - Ultimate CF SLX 2014, size S

Reach 375
Stack 546
Effective top tube 537

BUT i have switched out the stock 90mm stem for a 110mm, ive changed from -6 to -17 and i've switched the crapppy Acros headset for a conventional one, which has effective lowered the front end by perhaps 1cm.

I'd REALLY appreciate advice on how my current setup compares the the Aeroad, specifically the current model in size XS, which (stock, with 90mm stem) comes in at:

Reach 376
Stack 512
Effective top tube 528

I guess i could ask for the 100mm stem to lengthen this a touch more. I def want an aggressive racing setup. My ultimate was finally dialled in so i'd love to get an Aeroad set up similarly.

The S, by comparison, would almost certainly be too big I think. I'm struggling in particular because the Canyon aero integrated bar/stem options are limited, so i cant go longer than 100mm stem without choosing a crazy wide bar (narrow is key for me).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tangerineowl
    tangerineowl Posts: 101
    http://www.bikegeo.net/

Punch some numbers in. Play around with stem lengths/angles and you'll have an idea.
  • What is your saddle height from centre of BB and saddle to bar drop?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If the STAs are the same then you'd possibly get close with a 120 stem, but it sounds like that's a no go.

So, either forget it (it is a differently proportioned frame after all), or maybe just chuck the integrated bar and stem away and buy something else where you can have the 120 and the bar width you want.
  • pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    Thanks. So, reach and stack inc. stem (ie to bars) look like this:

Current bike (with -17/110 stem):

Reach 480
    Stack 566

Possible new Aeroad XS (with 100 stem, although i cant find the effective angle of the stem anywhere so ive assumed -6):

Reach 467
    Stack 557

Basically the aeroad would be approx 0.9cm lower to bars and 1.3cm shorter... is my crude analysis correct? I'm happy with that drop to the bars but might just be banging my knees on the bars every now and then... it's the reason i moved up to a 110cm on the current bike. Then again, i'm currently using a Zipp sl-70 aero bar which does have quite a long "tail" which means my knees get closer to it. Anyone know the depth of the canyon bar (i.e. the depth of the hoods)? To be clear, i'm not banging my knees regularly, it's an occasional thing when i'm really cranking the bike around in uphill efforts etc. Pitfalls of long quads compared to short torso!

If my number crunching is right... why why why dont Canyon make narrow cockpit options with longer stems?!