Are freehubs supposed to be a total pita to get off??

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited August 2018 in Workshop
My bike has started making funny noises, which I suspect might be the freehub, so I decided to service it. But I can't undo the bloody bolt that's holding it on, and now I think I've stripped part where you put the allen key in. FFS.

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    OK Bungle, we might have some clairvoyants on here but for the rest of us telling us the make and model of free hub would be useful. A photo would also be a help.
  • bungle73
    They're Vision wheels with Vision hubs, with presumably a Vision freehub. I watched the GCN video on doing it, and the setup seems the same as they showed for Vision wheels, ie a hole for an allen key and flats for a cone spanner.

I think I've buggeered it up, and am going to have to go to a bike shop.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've only ever had Shimano wheels but never had a problem removing a freehub for it's annual health check, wipe down and top up of lube.

Maybe that's because I do it annually. Or possibly because it's a massive great allen key vs a stationary wheel complete with tyre?

Has yours ever been dismantled?
  • bungle73
    keef66 wrote:
    I've only ever had Shimano wheels but never had a problem removing a freehub for it's annual health check, wipe down and top up of lube.

Maybe that's because I do it annually. Or possibly because it's a massive great allen key vs a stationary wheel complete with tyre?

Has yours ever been dismantled?

No. I've never done it on any of my bikes. I'm only doing it now because, as I said, the bike has started making noises. The bike's only a couple of years old.
  • bungle73
    I put it all back together, and I wasn't even sure if it was the freehub as when I span it on the stand it seemed to be fine. But then it started making this god almighty awful noise, so it definitely needs looking at. Why the hell did the put the bolt on so tight though?? A bolt to hold a freehub on isn't even necessary, as Zipp wheels don't need one, so why put one on there?

And then the other noise I'm having trouble with, a creaking, which I have zero idea where it's coming from, and was hoping it was the same thing, so if I fixed one it would fix the other.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I blame Merlin
  • bungle73
    And why the f make something that gets done up so tight so brittle?????
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've now watched 3 different vids on dismantling vision freehubs and they were all different. Your earlier description makes it sound like the one where you hold the axle still with an allen key in the end, remove the nut with a cone spanner and the freehub just lifts off.

I take it that didn't happen...
  • bungle73
    I think I've been doing it wrong! In the GCN video the way they show it is that you hold one bit with the spanner and undo it by turning the bolt, but I just found this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-QdqRnFGY&t=461s - where they hold the bolt and undo the other bit with the spanner.

How the f am I supposed to know how do this when there seem to be about a million different ways to do it?? FFS.
  • bungle73
    And if it's this other way how the f am I supposed to know which way to turn the bit with spanner? The one on the video goes the opposite way from normal, but there are no markings on mine so I have zero idea. And I don't think I can do it now anyway because I've f'ing rounded off the allen key hole because I followed what GCN said.
  • bungle73
    I just went round it with my headlight and there are absolutely no markings what so ever. It seems like they don't actually want anyone to do it themselves. I thought this was supposed to be easy??
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Merlin are you watching ??
  • bungle73
    I've been trying to find a way to undo it anyway, by holding the other side or jamming the allen key as far as possible into it. It's no good I can't undo it. I'm going to have to faff around taking to be done somewhere. Anyone who says this is easy is lying.
  • bungle73
    I tried holding the other side with another spanner and it just won't undo. I don't even know if I'm turning it the right way.
  • bungle73
    It's probably hard to say because it could be anything, and I can't tell where it's coming from, but do you think that the creaking I heard before this was related? It only happened intermittently, and only when I was pedalling. I'm hoping that both can be sorted out when I take to a shop. But I can't do it now because I'm not going to be here for most of next week!
  • bungle73
    I thought it might be my headset while I was riding today, since I had it apart a few weeks ago, but then the bike started making this grinding noise, so I don't know if is the same thing.
  • bungle73
    When I spin the freehub with my hand it seems fine, but I've tried spinning the wheel while holding the freehub and first it seemed fine, but then it started making a really loud grinding type sound.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Take it to Merlin. As you know, they will be all too grateful to take your cash.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Has anyone mentioned that Merlin are awesome for wheels?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bungle73
    If only this places was filled with people who were willing to help people with problems or at least sympathise, instead of being brim full of cretins who seem to have nothing better to do with their time than troll people constantly.
  • cougie
    Maybe if you'd come back to the Merlin thread to tell us the outcome or apologize we would be more obliging ?
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Bungle73 wrote:
    If only this places was filled with people who were willing to help people with problems or at least sympathise, instead of being brim full of cretins who seem to have nothing better to do with their time than troll people constantly.

Fyi, you are probably not being trolled. You may however have a lot to learn about dignity.

You could just find an actual bike shop, assuming you haven't been barred from all your local ones. And stay off the internet....
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    Maybe if you'd come back to the Merlin thread to tell us the outcome or apologize we would be more obliging ?

Why would I want to respond to a thread that descended into nothing but trolling? And it is not I who needs to apologise.
  • cougie
    Hilarious!
  • bungle73
    Big Harv wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Fyi, you are probably not being trolled. You may however have a lot to learn about dignity.

FYI yes I am. I need to learn nothing.
    You could just find an actual bike shop, assuming you haven't been barred from all your local ones. And stay off the internet....

Yes, let's get everyone's problems fixed at bike shops. Might as well just close this place down.
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    Hilarious!

Let's just get one thing straight. That is a thread where I got torn apart for daring to exercise my rights and do something that might have a tiny bit inconvenient for retailer (even though as far as I'm concerned it was the exact opposite). Apparently there are people here who seem to think that customers are there to serve the retailer and not the other way around......
  • cougie
    No. You cocked up. Just like you did with the mudguards ,(how many sets?) And now this. Then you went off on one.
  • big_harv
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Hilarious!

Let's just get one thing straight. That is a thread where I got torn apart for daring to exercise my rights and do something that might have a tiny bit inconvenient for retailer (even though as far as I'm concerned it was the exact opposite). Apparently there are people here who seem to think that customers are there to serve the retailer and not the other way around......

What was the outcome of the Merlin business? Your reputation depends on you being truthful right now..
  • big_harv
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Yes, let's get everyone's problems fixed at bike shops. Might as well just close this place down.

Yes, good idea.
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    No. You cocked up. Just like you did with the mudguards ,(how many sets?) And now this. Then you went off on one.

Er no I bloody didn't. I consolidated several orders into one because I thought it made more sense. The trouble with people here is that they are always looking to pick holes on people.

As for the mudguards I was going by the information provided by the bike manufacturer. I already said at the time that I had only ever bought a pair a long time ago, and that at the time all I needed to check was the wheel size. But apparently people here think everyone should be an expert on everything, even when they have little experience of it.

Isn't that the thread where I got talked down to like I was a piece of sh*t? I'm not sure what kinds of people you are used to dealing with, but I won't be talked to like that.