Wolftooth or similar hanger expander - Yes or No ??

Beansontoast
Beansontoast Posts: 75
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at buying a Sunrace cassette, which gives me a 46T "Granny gear" and will most definitely help on the bigger climbs and general lungbusters.

It may be the case that I need to fit a small 22mm hanger expander, to allow the jockey wheel clearance when trying to reach that 46T.

A couple of questions as I weigh up my options -

Am I introducing a weak-point on the derailleur setup?
I say this, as its obviously introducing an extra link onto the rear mech. So if I catch the derailleur on a rock - am I likely to bend it easily and stuff up my changes.

Longterm performance - for anyone that has used one of these, did you notice any difference on chain wear, or cassette wear?

General performance - smooth changes all the way or did it introduce other issues later on?

I would prefer to make a move to 1 x11 - but if I can get away with the Sunrace and a small expander, I can get the range I need at a fraction of the cost.

This link gives me a great price on the cassette, and includes the hanger extender.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-10-speed ... B076KRTMWC

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use one on my Canzo, with a 9 sped xtr rear mech and 11-42 cassette. It shifts well enough - but does look gangly and does flex. I have not had any problems so far.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I have fitted cheap ebay hanger but did not consider any of the issues raised by you.

In many years of riding, I only trashed one hanger and that was because a stick jumped into the mech, no idea how or where you ride but I've not hit the mech on anything .

Only issue I've come across is the lack of tension in the chain when on the bottom 3 cogs, I'm using.11-40 9 speed cassette, chain has not come off as I fitted 32t narrow wide chainring.

To summarise, do it, the advantages out weigh any of your concerns.
  • Thanks Everyone,

Its been ordered, so will know for sure in a couple of days.
  • 02gf74
    Oh, forgot to mention, the cheap ebay one need a bit of fettling, to remove a tiny amount of metal, to fit the specialized epic hanger. Since I was away from home, I used a drill as a grinder, normally would have used the dremel.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    02GF74 wrote:
    Oh, forgot to mention, the cheap ebay one need a bit of fettling, to remove a tiny amount of metal, to fit the specialized epic hanger. Since I was away from home, I used a drill as a grinder, normally would have used the dremel.

I've got one of them cheap ebay ones to fit to a hardtail bike i'm rebuilding.

Do i just remove the part that connects to the direct mount part of the derailleur?

Its a m786 XT i'll be using.
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    Ive put them on the kids Boardmans so they can run a 1x with 46t Sunrace.

They do add extra leverage but seem to take some punishment, they have had a few rock strikes and no dramas to date.

That said, they do drop the mech quite a bit and I changed my rear mech for a Shimano SLX (I run 50t sunrace) as the SLX will run 50t with 32t up front without any issues (lots of b screw left). It does look better and more secure without the drop link.

Sram GX on Hanger on Boardman 2016

Shimano SLX on same Bike

Both the above are the same bike 32t to 46t (1x10)

SLX on 50t Cassette
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • 898kor wrote:
    Both the above are the same bike 32t to 46t (1x10)

SLX on 50t Cassette

Thanks mate - that's helpful.

Now then, I have another issue, as I can't get my chain anywhere near the large sprocket (46T).

I have SLX, which is the RD 675 version, and I believe long cage, although I'm not 100% on that (it came off the original 2x 10 setup but was taken off by the original owner).

Do you know which model of SLX you have?
    Did you have to use a longer B-screw?

Thanks again ...
  • 02gf74

Now then, I have another issue, as I can't get my chain anywhere near the large sprocket (46T).

Did you have to use a longer B-screw?

Thanks again ...

Describe what you had on originally that I assume worked. Then state what you have done and detail the problem you are facing.

If you have increased the size of the largest sprocket beyond the spec of the mech, tben you need the extender.

B screw is for fine adjustment, it is not intended for clearing an oversized sprocket because it reduces the number of teeth engaged by the chain.
  • 02GF74 wrote:

Describe what you had on originally that I assume worked. Then state what you have done and detail the problem you are facing.

I've moved from a sunrace 11-40t to an11-46t. All 10 speed.

On advice of "somebody else", I then moved from an M675 medium cage to an M675 long cage.
    Well I think its an M675 long, but these things are never badged up.

If it helps, the "long" was the original derailleur on a 2 x 10 setup (Giant Trance 2 2015).

I've adjusted everything in sight and can't get anywhere near the largest cog.
    In fact - even the 2nd largest catches, so I don't entirely trust this long derailleur I have put on.

I'm starting to wonder if these are actually a short and medium, and not a medium and long.

Hope that helps.
  • 02gf74
    My understanding is the cage length thing is taking up chain slack, med is for 2 rings, long for 3.

The mech will be specified also for max teeth on cassette and b screw to move mech to optimum position from cassette.

If you have exceed max sprocket teeth for the mech, then b screw, even a longer one may not work, and as already said, fewer teeth on the sprocket are engaged..
    I had 10 speed xtr on 10-42 cassette issue and felt it he number of teeth on the 10t was risking the chain coming off or breaking teeth as the forces are shared by fewer teeth.

I'm no sure what spec your mech is but 10 speed was for 36 t (?) so you are pushing it with 46, safest and very much cheapest solution is an extender.
  • 898kor
    02GF74 wrote:
    My understanding is the cage length thing is taking up chain slack, med is for 2 rings, long for 3.

Agree 100% - cage length suits 1x or 2x front

The SLX I have is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m7000-10-speed-rear-derailleur/rp-prod148232 which in the spec states good for 1x42 if 2 ring front and 1 x 46t if 1 ring front - I am running it on a 50t with good b screw and lots of chain wrap (as 02gf74 states, this is important).
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    02GF74 wrote:
    Crudely yes, but it’s for the right capacity not an arbitrary number rings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 898kor wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:

The SLX I have is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m7000-10-speed-rear-derailleur/rp-prod148232 which in the spec states good for 1x42 if 2 ring front and 1 x 46t if 1 ring front - I am running it on a 50t with good b screw and lots of chain wrap (as 02gf74 states, this is important).

Ok - Thanks for that. I see the spec too - so 43T capacity.

Good to know of a setup which actually works. So much conflicting information out there, its been seriously doing my head in!

Slightly left of centre perhaps, but would you know if an 11-speed derailleur would work just as well?

The reason I ask that, is because I will need to now invest in a derailleur (to move to my 11-46t cassette) and so if I buy an 11-speed one, I am making an eventual transition to 1 x 11 a bit easier.

I have seen it mentioned a few times in some of the forums, but I don't know enough about the difference in a 10-speed versus 11-speed derailleur and whether performance would be the same.
  • 898kor
    898kor wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:

Ok - Thanks for that. I see the spec too - so 43T capacity.

Good to know of a setup which actually works. So much conflicting information out there, its been seriously doing my head in!

Slightly left of centre perhaps, but would you know if an 11-speed derailleur would work just as well?

The reason I ask that, is because I will need to now invest in a derailleur (to move to my 11-46t cassette) and so if I buy an 11-speed one, I am making an eventual transition to 1 x 11 a bit easier.

I have seen it mentioned a few times in some of the forums, but I don't know enough about the difference in a 10-speed versus 11-speed derailleur and whether performance would be the same.

My bad - I linked you to the wrong one! I am using this one... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m7000-11-speed-rear-derailleur/rp-prod148563

That link (the SLX) is an 11 speed and its working fine on my 11 speed cassette (sunrace 11-50) with a 11 speed SLX shifter.

My kids are both running the same SLX 11 speed derailleur on a 10 speed cassette (sunrace 11-46) using a shimano Zee 10 speed shifter with no problems.

In my limited experience with this Shimano setup, the derailleur does not care what speed it is being used for - it has set movements limited by the top/bottom and B screw. Its the shifter that dictates how far it moves and for how many gears.

So, for clarity, in my very recent experience, that SLX will work with both 10sp and 11sp Shimano Shifters
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • Legend - thanks again 898!

I can also see in the feedback that CRC advise that will fit a 46t cassette, so finally have what I need.

I did ask them that question but gave had no reply yet.

All good - now to buy that RD and all should be well.
  • how's your feedback on the purchase?
    www.amazon.com/shops/JGbike