edited June 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

only mildly hungover

office early, coffee, couple of webexes, bail and skive
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Wet stuff falling from the sky which is pants as I’m cycling over the hills to a decent hotel in wales for a family party weekend

Oh well, still better than a good day in the office
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, dry and mild here in Redworth, working again today and the weekend
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning

Ran to the train station (not the one near me, the one next one along) this morning, made it with 5 minutes to spare. At least when you stink that badly nobody sits next to you.

Big plans today for managing to get stuff done. I'm sure someone will come along and spoil the party.
    TLW1 wrote:
    Wet stuff falling from the sky
    Same when I left home but I scared it off and now it's dry.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Hip still playing up. I think this I’ll go down well when I go for my shoulder review with the consultant later when I limp into see him. I think I will try and ride it off this morning.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,251
    Morning folks,
    Not raining here because I had to drive in with the lad. Another GCSE for the girl so a bit of stressing in the females of the household, Stevo will have had the same I suspect. Only one more week of it to go thankfully. Today being Fryday I will of course be going to the cafe later, later still is pub with the Mrs.
    Hope your neighbour's funeral doesn't lead to the same chain of events we've had Oxo. We've gone from having the perfect neighbour to a building site and now the screaming banshee.
    Planned trip to the V&A tomorrow to see something a mate has been working on has been cancelled due to what were described as phucking incompetent lying arseclowns not doing what they said they had done.
    Anyway, more tea has been delivered. Onwards to customer avoidance.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Slacking from home today. Bit of work meh this morning then pedal later. Sun vs clouds battle going up overhead. Hoping sun wins.

Am hosting a dinner party later on. Any suggestions for something amazing, can feed about 15 people and can be prepared in advance and subsequently reheated?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Am hosting a dinner party later on. Any suggestions for something amazing, can feed about 15 people and can be prepared in advance and subsequently reheated?

A spice-rubbed shoulder of pork, low and slow in the oven all day. Make a big bowl of coleslaw, and a big bowl of something like tabbouleh, with heaps of fresh parsley and mint. The salads will keep in the fridge, the pork will look after itself in the oven. When it's time to eat, stick everything on the table and people can help themselves.
  • hopkinb
    Legs are feeling it a bit, what with it being Friday.

Going to pop for a coffee soon. That'll be the highlight of the day until lunch, then after lunch it's hanging around waiting until it's time to go home.

Meh.
  • shirley_basso
    hopkinb wrote:

A spice-rubbed shoulder of pork, low and slow in the oven all day. Make a big bowl of coleslaw, and a big bowl of something like tabbouleh, with heaps of fresh parsley and mint. The salads will keep in the fridge, the pork will look after itself in the oven. When it's time to eat, stick everything on the table and people can help themselves.

Pretty much exactly my plan. What about crackling?
  • hopkinb
    score the rind before cooking, and you can turn up the oven for 20-30 mins at the end, but that might not even be necessary, the long cook should render the rind & fat into perfect crackling. Some sort of yoghurt/mint/cucumber dressing would be a good addition. Mmmm, I'm starving now.
  • shirley_basso
    Awesome. thank you. Now - is it possible to make cracking the day before and bring it back to a good texture the following day?
  • hopkinb
    Now - is it possible to make cracking the day before and bring it back to a good texture the following day?

Dunno, it doesn't last long enough at my house. :D

I reckon you'd just need to stick it in the oven for a bit and it'll be restored to its former glory though.
  • veronese68
    Just had a phone call that wasn't wanted but not unexpected, we will be one down on our Wednesday drinks from now on. :-( Might just phuck off to the pub and join the others for the afternoon.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Just had a phone call that wasn't wanted but not unexpected, we will be one down on our Wednesday drinks from now on. :-( Might just phuck off to the pub and join the others for the afternoon.

Ahhhh shoot V68. Sincere condolences. :(
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sincere condolences. That's very sad. Pub seems appropriate.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Veronese68 wrote:

Sorry to hear that V.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    In other news I just pumped up the tyres on my Santa Cruz. Its a little bit overkill for pottering about Canter Parcs but better than riding their crap.

Onwards to a haircut and a possible bike ride this evening.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:

Really sorry dude - thoughts, etc.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    TLW1 wrote:
    a decent hotel in wales
    That should make you suspicious for starters. Sounds like a 'Hostel' style trap or a Cruddy practical joke, although there's probably not a lot of difference between the two.

Busyish day today but still managed to escape at 4:30 for a sneaky pint. More drink tonight and a spot of research on what to do on our hols in a couple of weeks time.

V - really sorry to hear about your mate. Never easy, but at least it wasn't a complete bolt out of the blue.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Hoppy - resident gastronome. (Might head over there for dinner one day whether he likes it or not).

Talking of which, we had a tidy at PPP and then went off into the sticks to a little cafe which serves top quality bistro style food at a very fair price:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Cafe-Rendezv ... 544039702/

Took the plunge and had Cream of Courgette and Brie soup followed by coffee and Almond cake.
    The soup was A1 (surprisingly).

Soz VN, keep your chin up; helps the beer go down the right way.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    Thanks guys. Went to the cafe then bailed, had to get a bus home as I was transportless, then wobbled to a pub in Esher for a few, then wobbled back for a couple more closer to home. There were quite a few of us there, good time telling tales of various past misdemeanours.
    As mentioned not a surprise, most surprising thing is that the stubborn old git hung on for so long. There will be more drinks in his honour I’m sure.
  • veronese68
    Has everyone seen Bungle’s freehub thread in workshop? Cheered me up but I couldn’t bring myself to ‘help’.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    sad that a nice cat avatar is so misused
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    Appropriate user name though.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Sorry to hear about your pal V68. Hopefully they are free from any suffering they were in, and those left behind can take some comfort. I’ll raise a glass to you and others.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Oh m m my Verona it must be time to sink a drink.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    Hoppy - resident gastronome. (Might head over there for dinner one day whether he likes it or not).

Soup is nearly always surprisingly good.

Resident greedy b@stard more like.

Small glass of red and an early night, up for mini's tennis in the morning.

Sad to see Tony Bourdain committed suicide. I have most of his books, including a very well used and stained French bistro-style cookbook, and watched most of his gonzo style tv programmes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Soup is nearly always surprisingly good.

Resident greedy b@stard more like.

Small glass of red and an early night, up for mini's tennis in the morning.

Sad to see Tony Bourdain committed suicide. I have most of his books, including a very well used and stained French bistro-style cookbook, and watched most of his gonzo style tv programmes.

Cannot say I am familiar with him. I did love Keith Floyd.
    There was that episode where he went around the vineyards in Southern France for most of the day and in the evening, (quite pi$$ed) he cooks for the best chefs in that region and gets a standing ovation after.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    I loved Floyd too. Equally though, there was a wonderful episode where he cooked piperade for an old woman, who told him it was b0ll0cks, then made him the same dish. He had the balls to say hers was far superior.

Just going to have a look at the dauphiné highlights.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Haha yeah Floyd was funny i still catch him on the Saturday Kitchen now and again and it's still good stuff,Bourdain i don't remember much on but he did like to experiment.