How important is HR over Power?

mrpbennett
mrpbennett Posts: 102
So...recently bought myself a new garmin HRM. Of course this doesnt support BLE (i didnt really know much about wahoo at the time) I have just got into TrainerRoad using the wattbikes in the gym and my iphone to run the plans.

Now I can see my HR on the wattbike screen, but it's not tracked on TR. I am debating getting the Wahoo HRM so i can connect it to my iPhone.

How important is HR I track my workout on wattbike and TR so I'm able to see my HR, Is not having it TR a problem and will it effect my scoring and TSS? Not having used the Garmin one, i could try and return it but not sure as its on amazon.

So option is to keep the garmin for the outdoors and wahoo for indoors or just not worry about HR.

--

edit : i caved and bought one, going to try and send back my garmin one...nonetheless still curious to know how important HR data is over Power data and visa versa.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Depends how seriously you take it.

If you have a proper TR plan that you're following then in a few weeks time you repeat the same session and your power will either be higher or your HR lower, or both.

If you're messing around with it then it's just a fog of data.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    mrpbennett wrote:

edit : i caved and bought one, going to try and send back my garmin one...nonetheless still curious to know how important HR data is over Power data and visa versa.
    It's all complimentary data, but I was reading an interesting article (can't remember where) that said you should judge your effort in training based on power, hr, perceived effort, in that order, which made sense to me.

As mentioned though, unless you're planning on following a structured training plan then most of this stuff just becomes a bunch of numbers and nice graphs :D
  • mrpbennett
    I am following this plan. https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/pla ... -volume-ii

3 rides in so far, last one was a bit brutal. I have recently got Joe Friel's cycling training book (yet to read) but interesting to hear you're thoughts though.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    HR isn't more important than power. What gave you the impression that it was? HR is effected by so many influences that you can't use it as an accurate guide of your performance. Power on the other hand is constant. If your FTP is 200 watts, its 200 watts no matter what you've eaten, how tired you are, whether you're ill or not etc etc. Power reading is instant whilst HR reading lags behind your actual output.

https://youtu.be/tzh1j7MS5_I
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mrpbennett
    philthy3 wrote:
    HR isn't more important than power. What gave you the impression that it was? HR is effected by so many influences that you can't use it as an accurate guide of your performance. Power on the other hand is constant. If your FTP is 200 watts, its 200 watts no matter what you've eaten, how tired you are, whether you're ill or not etc etc. Power reading is instant whilst HR reading lags behind your actual output.

https://youtu.be/tzh1j7MS5_I

Never said it was I was just asking how important HR is over Power. I recently increased my FTP by 11% to 211 from 189. Question was in relation to training plans how important is it to track your our HR
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    mrpbennett wrote:

Never said it was I was just asking how important HR is over Power. I recently increased my FTP by 11% to 211 from 189. Question was in relation to training plans how important is it to track your our HR

Implies that you consider HR more important than power. HR is just a variable to consider with power if you wish. Power is the more accurate guide to performance.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.