9100 rear cable outer - correct length?

siddy1972
siddy1972 Posts: 180
edited June 2018 in Workshop
I have a Supersix Evo frame with DA 9100 on it. I’ve replaced the cable to the RD as the original had plastic ferrules on that had split- I suspect the cable was too long putting a lot of force from cable to ferrule.
My new cable has metal ferrules and is a bit shorter, I don’t really know 9100 so well, my question is, does the cable length here look ok?
Workstand shifts seem ok, but I didn’t want to ride it before getting a second opinion :D
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx95P ... VFFbV9uaFE

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    That looks extremely short, it even looks like the outer is starting to buckle on the inside of the bend. Having said that, the entry point of the cable into the rear derailleur looks different from most road derailleurs, how does it look in the bigger gears?
  • siddy1972
    It looks the same. The cable entry of the RD doesn’t move irrespective of which gear you’re in. It’s a really different design than what I’m used to. I think part of the issue is the frame exit point, which doesn’t look like it suits this style of RD all that well.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    That's fine. I have a Foil where the cable also exits the rear of the chainstay. I was having some noise at the rear mech and shortened the cable slightly (after doing some digging online) to about the same length as yours. No issues now.

9100_mech_cable.jpg
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • siddy1972
    Thanks for the info Dave. Great.
    I’ve also turned up that there’s a special cable (OT-RS900) that didn’t come with my bike, so I’ve ordered one of those too.
    I think this frame design definitely needs it!
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    siddy1972 wrote:
    Thanks for the info Dave. Great.
    I’ve also turned up that there’s a special cable (OT-RS900) that didn’t come with my bike, so I’ve ordered one of those too.
    I think this frame design definitely needs it!

Sorry, I should have asked if you had the correct cable. It has a different type of inner sheath, to aid shifting apparently.

It also has to be fitted a certain way, with the silver ferrule at the mech. In case you don't have the DM, its on page 15 -
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RARD001-04-ENG.pdf
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    I replaced my 6800 with an R8000 rear mech, and the cable supplied is super short. Mentioned this to the LBS and they showed me just how spongy & bendy the new cable is compared to the old version. Seemed strange but it's working. Looks much tidier on the Foil too, like the poster above.
  • siddy1972
    Thanks for the info chaps. Should be all good when I get the cable. Cheers.
  • champson
    champson Posts: 57
    I had to order that seperately for my install too. The DA9100 kits you get from the usual retailers in the UK supply the cables, but not the correct RD outer.
  • siddy1972
    Mine actually came without the correct cable on my bike. Seems Cannondale (at least) don’t install them properly- on a design that can’t really afford the wrong cable.