Strava - imaginary miles

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited June 2018 in Road general
Bought a new bike a month ago. Added it to strava under "my gear" and since I've had it it's been the only bike I've used (despite having 2 others listed in "my gear").

Mysteriously, one of my other bikes has gained about 20 miles distance since then - been through my rides over the past month and all have been done on the new bike.

Not important in any way at all, but anyone else noticed this and got a fix?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Do you use veloviewer? You can filter your data by bike, should help you spot where it has come from.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If only there was a forum member that knew about 'imaginary miles'.....
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Dinyull wrote:
    Bought a new bike a month ago. Added it to strava under "my gear" and since I've had it it's been the only bike I've used (despite having 2 others listed in "my gear").

Mysteriously, one of my other bikes has gained about 20 miles distance since then - been through my rides over the past month and all have been done on the new bike.

Not important in any way at all, but anyone else noticed this and got a fix?

I’ve got a great fix for this, Delete Strava.
  • dinyull
    Imposter wrote:

Couldn't have timed that better haha.
  • dinyull
    TimothyW wrote:
    Do you use veloviewer? You can filter your data by bike, should help you spot where it has come from.

I don't, but I'll have a look. Ta
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ghost Miles !

Must be unrelated but somehow Strava has double counted (sounds familiar ?) my miles so I've finished a challenge that I haven't enough miles for. No duplicates that I can see in my feed. A bit odd but I'll survive.
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Imposter wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • milemuncher1
    benjamess wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah :lol::lol::lol: :roll:

There’s Nothing ‘imaginary’ about my miles.
  • milemuncher1
    Fenix wrote:
    Ghost Miles !

Must be unrelated but somehow Strava has double counted (sounds familiar ?) my miles so I've finished a challenge that I haven't enough miles for. No duplicates that I can see in my feed. A bit odd but I'll survive.

I’ve worked out a couple of ways to stop it doing that. 1) delete Strava. 2). Make everything ‘private by default’ in the settings. It makes it easier to pick out the hooky ones, presuming you actually ride enough for it to be a problem............................................................ ( not a dig at you, more a dig at my psycho stalker )
  • dinyull
    FWIW I've raised a ticket with Strava.

Had a quiet afternoon at work yesterday so checked out how many miles I'd done on th enew bike. Turns out it's something like 380 and Strava is putting it at 350.

Checked via Veloviewer and it's all logged on the right bike there, so a problem with Strava.

Not the end of the world and not losing any sleep over it, but a trivial annoyance.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Dinyull wrote:
    FWIW I've raised a ticket with Strava.

Had a quiet afternoon at work yesterday so checked out how many miles I'd done on th enew bike. Turns out it's something like 380 and Strava is putting it at 350.

Checked via Veloviewer and it's all logged on the right bike there, so a problem with Strava.

Not the end of the world and not losing any sleep over it, but a trivial annoyance.

I've had a problem with it under reporting miles/elevation for challenges in the past. I got around it by "leaving" the challenge, and then re-joining, which seems to trigger it to recalculate and it seems to pick them all up then. May be worth a try.
  • dinyull
    Have never entered any challenges.

Just use it to log miles, and find the gear option helpful to keep on top of chain, cassette mileage etc. when it's working.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've got the annoyance right now that my longest climb is a segment that is actually downhill.

I've hidden the segment and refreshed the stats, next step might be flagging the segment.
  • milemuncher1
    TimothyW wrote:
    I've got the annoyance right now that my longest climb is a segment that is actually downhill.

I've hidden the segment and refreshed the stats, next step might be flagging the segment.

That’s an Australian climb.
  • milemuncher1
    The only thing I find it remotely useful for really, is recording an actual ridden route, against a planned route. You get to see if there are any features you missed, or that the route planner didn’t see ( unrideable country tracks, which appear to be normal roads) or roads that have become impassable, or are closed for whatever reason.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The only thing I find it remotely useful for really, is recording an actual ridden route, against a planned route. You get to see if there are any features you missed, or that the route planner didn’t see ( unrideable country tracks, which appear to be normal roads) or roads that have become impassable, or are closed for whatever reason.

I use most of its features and really enjoy it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I tend to use it in retrospect - its useful for flybys - was that really thingy I saw turning off just before I caught him ?