Monday: Eagerly anticipating the meteorological effect of thunder and lightening.

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited June 2018 in The bottom bracket
(No pineapple was harmed in the making of this thread).

I won't be working from home .
GMC? None of that Global malarkey.
Cafe? I wish.
Although some skirting might be mangled today. Whatever survives will go on the wall (somewhere).

Mango's and pastries will be consumed in varying quantities.

BTW. I will not accept any posts that don't make reference to a famous coffee song. Such as, The Brotherhood of man: 'Save all your coffee for me'.

Laters.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    'ning

office, coffee etc.

i don't like mocha, nothing but espresso in the uk, it's the only way to be
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Meh, work day planned

Later the kids are at yuff club, so probably and get the lawns done
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee..
    Work schmurck. At least once I've prised the sprogs out of their pits.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just taken Das a Hound for a walk, now having coffee before pedalling to work. Let's see what the day will bring,
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Physio for me first thing followed by waiting for shopping delivery, which I think will qualify for today’s chores. Bike ride later if the weather holds out.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, no storms here but much much cooler here so making my day a little easier, builder from the insurance people turned up to start faffing with a fallen wall and some persons coming to look at the water damage to some other walls so a fun day for me ahead no doubt.
    I'll have to see if I can strap a cup holder to the dog an send her to the coffee shop at this rate.
  • hopkinb
    I know there're a few of you on here who are good with a spanner. Why is my chainset wobbling about in the bottom bracket shell? I did try to have the cranks off - undid all the bolts and so forth, but they weren't coming out. I couldn't find my rubber headed mallet to give them a whack. I replaced the chainset about a month ago, but I've only noticed the wobble in the last couple of weeks, and ignored it, hoping it would go away. Do I just need a new bb (it's around a year and 8-9,000 km old? Or have I inadvertently put the wrong kind of chainset in? Straight replacement of sram rival compact chainset though, which looked identical to the previous one.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Step83 wrote:
    I'll have to see if I can strap a cup holder to the dog an send her to the coffee shop at this rate.
    I had a similar idea but with my work phone. We're doing some fund raising stuff for Alzheimers research at work and each team has to record how many steps they take every day for this month with some app we've installed on our work phones. Only I forgot to turn my work phone on over the weekend until Sunday evening. Luckily it thinks that riding to work on the bike counts for 3,400 steps each way, but I think I might just strap my phone to the dog next weekend to make up for last Saturday and Sunday.

Otherwise its work meh - mainly bloody tax audits. Ho hum.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I had a similar idea but with my work phone. We're doing some fund raising stuff for Alzheimers research at work and each team has to record how many steps they take every day for this month with some app we've installed on our work phones. Only I forgot to turn my work phone on over the weekend until Sunday evening. Luckily it thinks that riding to work on the bike counts for 3,400 steps each way, but I think I might just strap my phone to the dog next weekend to make up for last Saturday and Sunday.
    We're doing something like that too, but not for charity, someone up high in the company thinks we're too fat and miserable (probably accurate) and need some compulsory fun exercise.
    One guy's already left his step counter attached to the dog, I'm getting 10k steps a day riding some of the way to work and back :roll:

Usual stuff here with additional pep talk about being more efficient, need to save money on this by the end of the day. Just spent most of the morning trying to design something on some software we have only to discover another bug in the software which gives the wrong answers :roll:
    Oh and the new tubeless tyre is still going down :(
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Afternoon folks,
    Busier than I would like it to be today, hang on, it's always busier than I would like. It's really fookin' busy today, I haven't even had time to misbehave very much. Managed to wobble in this morning, Back is really giving me gyp so I was happy about that. Rang a mate mid-morning to book the car in to be serviced and he asked if I could drop it in today as he had 2 no shows so his mechanic was twiddling his thumbs. Finished a few things and pedalled home at midday to get the car for him. At least the car will be serviced before our holiday so that's one thing of the EPO's worry list.
    Blimey, started writing this over an hour ago and pesky customers have been interrupting. Anyway, it was the tea wallah's birthday so cakes have been had. It'll soon be time to clear off for the day.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    hopkinb wrote:
    I know there're a few of you on here who are good with a spanner. Why is my chainset wobbling about in the bottom bracket shell? I did try to have the cranks off - undid all the bolts and so forth, but they weren't coming out. I couldn't find my rubber headed mallet to give them a whack. I replaced the chainset about a month ago, but I've only noticed the wobble in the last couple of weeks, and ignored it, hoping it would go away. Do I just need a new bb (it's around a year and 8-9,000 km old? Or have I inadvertently put the wrong kind of chainset in? Straight replacement of sram rival compact chainset though, which looked identical to the previous one.

What BB? And what chainset? Are they both GXP or BB30? Pressfit or screw-in?

I suppose it's possible you have worn out a BB in a year, but they usually start clicking or feel rough. You'd really have to be going some to have it actually go wobbly on you
  • Matthewfalle
    If you have gone like for like chainset and no changed the back then it does seem a head scratcher.

Any grinding/noises?
    Do you remember if it was a nice snug fit then you popped the new chainset in?
    Any preload bolts you need to check?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    keef66 wrote:
    I suppose it's possible you have worn out a BB in a year, but they usually start clicking or feel rough. You'd really have to be going some to have it actually go wobbly on you
    Oops, forgot to comment on that due to being interrupted by customers. Did you tighten up the crankset properly? If there is insufficient preload on the bearings could that allow the thing to wobble? Not familiar enough with SRAM to say with any certainty. If you want me to hit it with my hammer pop round tonight as I'm out tomorrow night.
  • Matthewfalle
    I and I and MF have just been jeffed with a load of unexpected work.

BASTARDS

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    sram gxp screw in bb, sram rival 22 chainset - the last chainset was gxp, and this one looked identical. Unfortunately I can't remember who I bought it from, and can't find an email receipt or delivery advice to confirm that it is a gxp one. Presumably a bb30 pressfit crankset wouldn't fit in a gxp bottom bracket? I really have no idea about this sort of thing. I was slightly disconcerted that the cranks wouldn't just come out when I undid them though, previously I've been able to just pull the cranks out easily when the bolts are undone.

V68 - I'll text you.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know nothing about SRAM stuff but looking at their website it looks like you only really get BB30 or GXP as axle standards? If it's all SRAM stuff and it went together without any obvious problems it's hard to see how it's now gone wobbly unless a bearing has disintegrated or the crank's in the process of dropping off.
  • sungod
    bb30 cranks won't fit in a gxp bb
    non-gxp cranks such as usual shimano won't fit in a gx bb

you'll see the gxp axle is 24mm diameter from driveside up to near the end, then it steps down to 22mm, and ends with the splines

i.e. a gxp crankset can physically fit into a shimano bb, but it'll wobble severely on the non-driveside as the inner race will be 2mm too big

with gxp the step at the 24-22mm bit is clamped to the non-driveside bearing as you tighten the nds crank onto things

with at least some gxp bb, the nds bearing seal is clamped too, so missing off the seal would also cause issues

if you don't do the crank up tight it might work loose, from memory correct is c. 48NM

needing a gentle tap to remove the crank is normal
  • veronese68
    Thanks SG, I can visualise that a bit better now. So there may be a seal that is separate to the bearing on the NDS? I have a selection of hammers and mallets at the ready and waiting for the arrival of a lycra clad H³.
  • sungod
    there's a bearing shield (probably a better description than seal) both sides, on the ds there is also a wavy washer between spider and shield - as there's no preload, this keeps the ds shield in place

on the nds, the shield i remember had a metal mid section, so it actually was clamped between the outside of the inner race and the crank, similar for the ds shield but there it's just giving something for the wavy washer to press on

aha, found a pic, the shield on the left is the nds one, you can see the metal section, also shown are ds shield and wavy washer

41KGYBg7k9L._SX466_.jpg
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Automatic watch winder? I gave up on the dog coffee pannier mainly because I remembered when she wants to "lay down" she either goes legs out stretched or, without warning just capsizes with a loud thud. Resorted to grabbing a bike an wobbling down to said coffee shop for some relative peace away from noisy builders.
  • hopkinb
    sungod wrote:
    there's a bearing shield (probably a better description than seal) both sides, on the ds there is also a wavy washer between spider and shield - as there's no preload, this keeps the ds shield in place

on the nds, the shield i remember had a metal mid section, so it actually was clamped between the outside of the inner race and the crank, similar for the ds shield but there it's just giving something for the wavy washer to press on

aha, found a pic, the shield on the left is the nds one, you can see the metal section, also shown are ds shield and wavy washer

41KGYBg7k9L._SX466_.jpg

Thanks all, and thanks to V68 for hitting my crank with a hammer.
    Looks like I'm missing 2 of those 3 things, I have the nds one, but not the other two. Do you know if they come with a new bb?
  • sungod
    a bb should include all the necessary bits

it's likely some may have captive shield(s) rather than separate, if the ds shield were captive it wouldn't need a wavy washer

if your bb doesn't expose the actual bearing seal on the ds then i'd think the shield is built in, i.e. you aren't missing anything
  • Stevo_666
    Step83 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Automatic watch winder? I gave up on the dog coffee pannier mainly because I remembered when she wants to "lay down" she either goes legs out stretched or, without warning just capsizes with a loud thud. Resorted to grabbing a bike an wobbling down to said coffee shop for some relative peace away from noisy builders.
    I like the watch winder idea apart from when Muttley decides he wants to roll in fox sh1t.

Your coffee idea could work for beer cans as they're sealed and quite tough :)

df0fe09aa9f2ec7aebde23bbe0988054.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    sungod wrote:
    a bb should include all the necessary bits

it's likely some may have captive shield(s) rather than separate, if the ds shield were captive it wouldn't need a wavy washer

if your bb doesn't expose the actual bearing seal on the ds then i'd think the shield is built in, i.e. you aren't missing anything
    Could see the bearing seal so I think something was missing. Probably stuck to the original crankset. Bearing was a bit graunchy, but couldn’t feel much play by hand. With the crank as a lever there was quite a bit.
    Definitely new B.B. time.
  • Matthewfalle
    I and I and MF have just been jeffed with a load of unexpected work.

BASTARDS

TDV has just kicked off over the above jeffication of unexpected work.

MF has gone and hid.

I and I are scared.

COWARDS AND PROUD OF IT

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Lucy is on Tv. Sooooo lush.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    TDV sounds frankly terrifying. Mrs H3 sh!ts me up from time to time, when ive been at the hookers and blow and forgotten to have a wash, but even experienced vicariously, TDV gets my nerves jangling.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    TDV sounds frankly terrifying. Mrs H3 sh!ts me up from time to time, when ive been at the hookers and blow and forgotten to have a wash, but even experienced vicariously, TDV gets my nerves jangling.

She is terrifying. Why do you you think that I and I find daily work such a breeze when we such have fear every time we pop down to Casa MF.

He's petrified 90% of his life.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    hopkinb wrote:

You sir are a star. The rest of them are miserable, humourless b@stards. Though I will tilt my hat to SG for his bb30/gxp BB knowledge.
    I don't have any of those problems as I have Campag overboard cups in a threaded BB shell. It's the only way.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

You sir are a star. The rest of them are miserable, humourless b@stards.
    So what have we done wrong now?