Rear wheel keeps rubbing against frame??? Help

whordley
whordley Posts: 40
edited July 2018 in Workshop
Hello all

My cube agree gtc is suffering from a rear wheel issue :(

The wheel goes on fine and is straight but the minute I apply any pressure it moves & the tyre rubs on the chain stay (opposite side of the cassette). It remains in this position.

The rear wheel skewer doesn’t move or shift and remains tight.
The skewer isn’t bent, I’ve also tried the skewer from my turbo trainer wheel and I still get the same result.

I can’t see any visible cracks on the frame.

The dropouts/hanger look straight.

The bearings in the rear wheel are sounding a little rough, could this be forcing the wheel to shift?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the bearings are shot, yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yup, if your bearings are buggered, no amount of QR swapping and tightening will keep it centered.

Is there any detectable play at the rim when you first install the wheel and tighten the QR?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You are tightening the QR properly ?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    The tyres might be directional, try putting then on the other way around.
  • keef66

Stop it!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    My money is on a broken rear axle. If it tightens up and the wheel doesn't wobble with medium side to side movement by hand, take the wheel out and pull the 2 sides of the axle apart. If they come apart the axle is bust. This would be consistent with the sideways movement only happening under pressure. The quick release can clamp the axle together and when load is applied the 2 halves of the axle will move.
    Directional tyres will not have anything to do with it.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    shaw8670 wrote:
    My money is on a broken rear axle. If it tightens up and the wheel doesn't wobble with medium side to side movement by hand, take the wheel out and pull the 2 sides of the axle apart. If they come apart the axle is bust. This would be consistent with the sideways movement only happening under pressure. The quick release can clamp the axle together and when load is applied the 2 halves of the axle will move.

It's not this because he has tried a different axle as per his first post.

Have you tried a different wheel?

Any pics?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • darkhairedlord
    shaw8670 wrote:

Any pics?

I doubt he's even turned tyre around yet.
  • darkhairedlord
    Is it an aftermarket qr?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    shaw8670 wrote:

Any pics?

I doubt he's even turned tyre around yet.

If he hasn't done that yet then he's a bigger fool than that MF bloke. It's the first thing I and I would have tried.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    shaw8670 wrote:

He hasn't tried a different axle, just a different QR. I think if the axle was broken it would have been obvious when swapping QR skewers. My money's on bearings.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Worn dropout and inadequate skewer......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I had this, it was a broken drive side chainstay. Did take me a few minutes to work out at the side of the road.
  • keef66
    TimothyW wrote:
    I had this, it was a broken drive side chainstay. Did take me a few minutes to work out at the side of the road.

TBF it's probably not the first thing you'd think of checking. :shock:

I'm sure the OP is hoping it's one of the cheaper options...
  • whordley
    whordley Posts: 40
    So turns out I’ve got a slightly worn carbon dropout which is causing the wheel to shift when I apply any pressure, about 1mm of movement within the dropout.
    I’m guessing a combination of incorrect tyre direction and my spokey dokeys causing an imbalance during wheel rotation?
    The Bike has always been regularly serviced and no issues for the 4 years I’ve owned it.
    Bike grave yard is calling. Gutted.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Doesn't need to be in the graveyard - it's carbon ... you can add more carbon to that ... a carbon repairer will be able to give you more info ...
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Have you got the springs the right way around in the QR?
  • darkhairedlord
    It's trying to morph into a supersix.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That really doesn't sound terminal to me. Have a word with Rob Hayle. He fixes all sorts of carbon fibre problems.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yes that's probably safest but could you try a round file and even the other side up ?

Actually filing part of a carbon dropout may not be a good idea forget that try Rob Hayles!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]