TdF Stage 17 start format

poppit
poppit Posts: 926
edited July 2018 in Pro race
Can't quite get my head around this one.

ASO will experiment with new start formula on stage 17 this year. The short stage will start at the foot of the Peyresourde. Riders will line up at the start according to GC position, like Cyclocross or F1.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    No neutralised zone to start. Just everyone lines up in rows according to GC position and then the race starts immediately.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    poppit wrote:
    Can't quite get my head around this one.

ASO will experiment with new start formula on stage 17 this year. The short stage will start at the foot of the Peyresourde. Riders will line up at the start according to GC position, like Cyclocross or F1.
    Sounds strange, I can only guess they want to calm the start down a little. With all the GC riders at the front blocking the road there is little chance of a breakaway going on the first climb, also it will spread the teams out so a single team (eg SKY) cannot dictate the pace as their riders will be all over the place at the start.
    On the other hand it could be utter carnage as potential breakaway attempts force their way through.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Well I’m hoping for carnage.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    "like cyclo-cross or f1"

That doesn't really sound like it's going to calm the s art down at all! Glad they're trying new ideas though, this will be one to watch
  • RichN95.
    It should be like the old Le Mans starts. Make them run 50m to get to their bikes.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Don't they realise that the very start of a road race isn't really that important? Are they expecting the gc riders to sprint to get to the first corner at the front?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 wrote:
    Don't they realise that the very start of a road race isn't really that important? Are they expecting the gc riders to sprint to get to the first corner at the front?
    It's a different type of stage though. Just 65km long with three major climbs. A definite chance to isolate GC riders with weak teams early on.

stage-17-profile.jpg
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I would expect that Movistar & Sky will still dominate as they will probably have a number of riders each in the first group.

Is there a plan to have any adjustments for KOM points? Guessing no difference whatsoever :D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    So, the flag goes down and presumably the front rank all adopt track stands....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Sounds like another attempt to try and take GC teams out of their comfort zone by giving them new challenges to deal with. The risk is that it gets shut down by riders agreeing to neutralise it 'because of safety concerns', which often seems to be code for 'because somebody might lose a shedload of time, and it might be me'.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    RichN95 wrote:
    It should be like the old Le Mans starts. Make them run 50m to get to their bikes.

And, whilst they are waiting to start, swap the bikes around.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    i'd pay to watch that
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    It's a bit like the Chase race in winter ski biathlon whereby in the Chase skiers set off with the time difference between them in the earlier Sprint event (basically a TT), so the winner of Sprint goes off first in the Chase, x secs ahead of second in the Sprint (x = winning margin in the Sprint). The Chase is thus a race with handicaps based on the Sprint=TT.

I've never taken to it in biathlon, because the Chase is a single stand-alone-race, and often gives an imbalanced advantage to those who did well in the Sprint, but as part of a 3-week long stage race rather than a separate event, I think it may be interesting.
    It would be even more interesting if the riders were to set off with time gaps based on GC between each, and drafting allowed (as is allowed in the biathlon event).
  • ShutupJens
    Bit of a blow for the injured/knackered who have to start at the back and avoid the cut off on what will be a very explosive stage
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    RichN95 wrote:

You should watch the Brompton races on the Mall at Ride London they do exactly this.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    RichN95 wrote:
    i'd pay to watch that

Froome has already practiced.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    What would add to this would be a radio blackout for 5 minutes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    cougie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You should watch the Brompton races on the Mall at Ride London they do exactly this.
    I’d forgotten they do that. They have to unfold the bike too don’t they.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Interestingly stage 16 is 218km.
    Anyone who is struggling could be in serious trouble with this stage.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    How far apart are the going to start? Just lined up one-behind-the next in GC order?

The Peyresourde isn't really very narrow/steep/switchbacky - can't see this making much difference.
    Rich
  • RichN95.
    I'm not sure they're doing this to make the racing more exciting. I think they just feel that the usual neutralised start might not work for this stage - which is short and climbs immediately.

They'll also need to have a sensible time limit for the stage too as this short, GC racing from the gun stages don't fit into the usual formulas.
  • ShutupJens
    RichA wrote:
    How far apart are the going to start? Just lined up one-behind-the next in GC order?

The Peyresourde isn't really very narrow/steep/switchbacky - can't see this making much difference.

Sounds to be more like a grid system ie top 6 on the first row and then 7-12 on the 2nd row etc

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will actually make unless someone attacks from the gun - this was always going to be the case though right?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oooo will we get someone going into a ravine like Lil' Pete.

article-2357817-1AB36FEA000005DC-49_634x340.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not sure they're doing this to make the racing more exciting. I think they just feel that the usual neutralised start might not work for this stage - which is short and climbs immediately.

They'll also need to have a sensible time limit for the stage too as this short, GC racing from the gun stages don't fit into the usual formulas.

They want people to tune in from kilometre zero for the gimmick, and stay for the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

They want people to tune in from kilometre zero for the gimmick, and stay for the racing.
    It's a 65km stage. That's enough to watch the start anyway.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    So 5 zones. Top 20 line up in order, in offset rows. Rest sort themselves out within the appropriate zone.

There's some incentive for the key helper to stay in the top 20 on GC there, or at least in the top 50.

Should be fun.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    It all depends how far back they're held in the 2nd and subsequent groups surely? Will the groups just be separated by 5m or so, and all set off at the same time? Or set off at short intervals (10s / 20s?) and force the later guys to chase on?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    larkim wrote:
    It all depends how far back they're held in the 2nd and subsequent groups surely? Will the groups just be separated by 5m or so, and all set off at the same time? Or set off at short intervals (10s / 20s?) and force the later guys to chase on?

Think the seperation is by distance and everyone sets off at the same time.
  • ShutupJens
    So with Movistar bringing Quintana, Valv and Landa (and Soler?), would you drive it from the start and try and isolate the other contenders, or just start firing people up the road?