Garmin Connect IQ Apps

mrpbennett
mrpbennett Posts: 102
edited June 2018 in Road general
After I swapped from an edge 500 to an edge 820 i was opened up to the world of Connect IQ. However I havent really found much use for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations on decent apps that they're using? Or is it just a gimmic?

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Do you have a power meter? If so then the What’s My FTP app is superb. I use it at least once a week.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    I had a look at the IQ apps when I first got my 820 but didn't really find much of interest. Not sure what more I need from my Garmin besides the metrics it already gives me. MAybe it's time I took another look at what's been created.

I might check out that "What's My FTP" suggestion.
  • mrpbennett
    Do you have a power meter?

Not Yet!!! lol maybe soon though.
  • rlanger
    rlanger Posts: 19
    Two apps I use all the time are the Bontrager app to control my front light and the DynamicWatch app that allows me to create and wirelessly transmit a route directly to my Edge 1000 (Strava also has an app that allows you to do this). This is really quite an awesome feature when I want to navigate to a new location in the middle of a ride. I can use the app on my phone, then send to my Garmin.

You may not need this particular feature as you can plug an address easily into your Garmin to get a route. But I own an English version of the Edge 1000 and live in Japan, so the search function is basically useless. Having said that, the app has many other features which make it quite useful.

There are also some useful widgets that you might want to check out.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Do you have a power meter? If so then the What’s My FTP app is superb. I use it at least once a week.

Downloaded and gave this one a whirl today, thanks.

Went for a 65km two hour hit out and during the first hour the number rose from the initial 100 watt setting to 205 watts, then didn't change throughout the second hour. That seems about right as my FTP sits around 205-220 watts (3.3-3.5w/kg) depending on how fit/fresh I am and it's not like I went all out trying to set a new FTP on this ride. First impressions are it's a pretty handy app!
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Truly useful things would be:

1) Automatically checks your local council's road top dressing schedule and warns when it thinks you're heading towards 10 tons of loose gravel

2) Alerts you as you approach new potholes reported in say the last week

3) Warns when a faster cyclist is about to zoom past so you a) don't have a heart attack and b) can look disinterested or at your gears to pretend there's a mechanical reason you're so slow

4) Flags discounts on flapjack/malt loaf at the supermarket you're about to pass

Get on with it you IT savvy people. Oh, and fix the battery life on the 520.
  • mrpbennett

Which powermeter do you have I am in the market for one.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803

Went for a 65km two hour hit out and during the first hour the number rose from the initial 100 watt setting to 205 watts, then didn't change throughout the second hour. That seems about right as my FTP sits around 205-220 watts (3.3-3.5w/kg) depending on how fit/fresh I am and it's not like I went all out trying to set a new FTP on this ride. First impressions are it's a pretty handy app!

Nice one :-)