Pinnacle Iroko 2

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,581
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
Wondering what the learned opinion of the forum is on the Pinnacle Iroko 2, available with 20% off on the Evans EBay site.
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ir ... e-EV306260

Brief background...
I used to have a fully rigid Marin mountain bike 20 years ago but in more recent times I've been exclusively a road rider. I'm now looking to add an MTB to the collection.

Obviously the world has moved on these days - things like dropper posts and Boost spacing are all new to me and I'm wondering where all the bar ends have gone!

My riding is likely to be towards the cross country end of things, forest roads, moorland tracks, easier trails at Hamsterley etc. Back in the day I was never a huge fan of the more technical stuff.

My instinct is to go for a hardtail and the Pinnacle seems a decent package. I'd be happy to consider alternatives though. I'm 6'4" so not sure if I'd be better with a 29er or if the Iroko will be ok for me. I note that Evans do the Ramin which is a 29er but I'm quite keen to go with a 1x drivetrain which the Iroko has but the Ramin doesn't have.

My LBS stock the Diamondback Heist 3.0 which also seems a decent deal although (I think) a poorer fork than the Pinnacle and I would guess a bit heavier, but it does come with a dropper post.
http://www.diamondback.co.uk/MTB/Produc ... 0&pg=21211

Any advice/opinions gratefully received.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either would suite your usage just fine but the Iroko is well ahead of the DB in pretty much every area, especially that fork which is a bit of a bargain on that price point bike.

Wheel size doesn't effect fit at all, which is down to the relative positions of the contact points (Pedals, saddle and grips) but the larger wheel may look more aesthetically 'ok' under you, my only caveat is that an XL may not be big enough depending on your proportions and you may need to look for XXL.

Another to look at http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike 29er with 1x and better specced than the DB for the same money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrb123
    Thanks for that. Sounds like the Iroko may be a good option.

Hopefully the XL would be a decent fit. I'm fairly long in the leg compared to my upper body so my road bikes are not huge sizes as I don't need a massive reach.

The Boardman looks interesting but I can't see that they actually stock it in XL although the size guide refers to XL sizes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree that the Boardman is worth considering - in fact it just won a test in MBUK, which also pitted it against that DB Heist. Is worth a read. I've had a quick go on the Boardman and was impressed - the large size fit me well, and I have a 34-35 inch inside leg, with a short reach.

The Iroko looks a little expensive for the level of spec in comparison, but the geometry is up to date with modern trends - the head angle is pretty slack for a bike like this so if you want stability then this might be up your street.

I'd go and see them in the flesh.
  • mrb123
    Yeah, I'll definitely go and have a look at them in person.

I wouldn't consider paying full whack for the Iroko but they're currently 20% off in their EBay store which I suspect they'll price match in store, plus they're also doing a trade in offer so could get another 100 quid off for taking in an old banger rescued from the tip.