New SKY Team kit

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited July 2018 in Pro race
Does anybody know if the new SKY Team kit will be available to the general public or is it just for the team.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Dunno. Reckon that one would have to go on ice for a few years though... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    not too keen on it . great cause though .
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I'd guess you will be able to purchase it through Castelli at or around the Tour de France.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I imagine there's now a campaign on Twitter and the Asylum to throw as many bottles into the Irish Sea as possible.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Please stop typing Sky in all caps....

PLEASE
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    ademort wrote:
    Does anybody know if the new SKY Team kit will be available to the general public or is it just for the team.
    As I got a 2017 Castelli Sky rain jacket for less than £50 (steal) through the TdF website after the tour was finished last year you can pretty much guarantee it. Chuck in the charity factor and I'd imagine 100%.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    At least they'll be visible in the peloton.

I would be impressed if they can get rid of all single use plastic from their operations in two years.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Good cause and all, but that's a horrible kit. No doubt some will compare this with US Postal going to Discovery channel.
  • kingstongraham
    phreak wrote:
    Good cause and all, but that's a horrible kit. No doubt some will compare this with US Postal going to Discovery channel.

Bit of a stretch that... Sky aren't stopping sponsorship and whales taking over, I don't think.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have they finished rescuing the rainforest then ?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

I would be impressed if they can get rid of all single use plastic from their operations in two years.
    Like 6,000 drinks bottles used during the Gd'I, for example.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    phreak wrote:

Bit of a stretch that... Sky aren't stopping sponsorship and whales taking over, I don't think.

Of course, but the clinic aren't known for their rational thinking.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Truly awful. Must have taken all of 2 minutes to design.
    Looks like a black armband.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    mrfpb wrote:

Like 6,000 drinks bottles used during the Gd'I, for example.

and all the syringes.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    What new kit?
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,713
    From the helicopter they'll look like a pod hoping to give very one a schooling.

I shoal get my coat.

:lol:
  • RichN95.
    Lucan2 wrote:
    What new kit?
    For the Tour:
    Del3poaXcAAC6D1.jpg
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    I like the whale on the back of it but the front is awful
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    We've not seen the side view though. I think they're utilising dorsal fin technology to give Froome a better chance of staying upright.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Truly awful. Must have taken all of 2 minutes to design.
    Looks like a black armband.

This. Looks like the winning entry in a Blue Peter competition.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • RichN95.
    The Below the Line comments on Cycling News for this are amazing. Many of them really think that this is something the team have just cooked up as a PR stunt ('a charity shield like Armstrong') rather than a Sky Corporate thing. (For example, they're the headline sponsors of the current British leg of the Volvo Ocean Race)
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Not to mention partners of the TTOP boat in that race, and have received a bit of air time in some of the episodes. IIRC, they also had the reusable bottles for water in one of limited overs internationals last year. Not completely surprised with nature of the comments given the bubble they exist in.

That said, the kit looks like one of those garbage sorting bags.
  • cougie wrote:
    Have they finished rescuing the rainforest then ?
    Just one billion trees so far but they are still going
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Someone on another forums said itll look like a school of orcas shepherding a yellow duckling. Made me chuckle.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Someone on another forums said itll look like a school of orcas shepherding a yellow duckling. Made me chuckle.
    Just as well Dimension Data didn’t adopt this design then with Steve Cummings in his own personal “Finding Nemo” loop at the back...
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    What new kit?
    For the Tour:
    Del3poaXcAAC6D1.jpg

The back is rather splendid. Unfortunately the front looks like froome is wearing one of those male corsets used to disguise a beer gut.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I cant say Skys kit has ever been outstandingly well designed, but that really looks quite awful IMO
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I like the Orca. The less said about the front the better.

I'm just sad there is no one on the team called William so we don't have the opportunity for Free Willy jokes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I like the Orca. The less said about the front the better.

I'm just sad there is no one on the team called William so we don't have the opportunity for Free Willy jokes.

Does it help to know that for anyone with an interest in marine biology there's going to be a certain grim pleasure in seeing what happens to Nibali? Orcas aren't exactly known for their membership of the shark liberation front:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2017/nov/16/orca-whales-vs-great-white-sharks-in-a-battle-of-the-apex-predators-who-wins

From that article, btw, the following line - "Effectively, the orcas have learned how to drown their prey whilst minimising their own predatory exertion" - sounds like a pretty good write up of most top teams' tactics...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I read about the tonic immobility tactic a few years back. Utterly brilliant tactic!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023