Garmin IQ app and TTing

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited June 2018 in Amateur race
Signed for an Open 25 next weekend. This usually means a lot of stem staring for circa 1 hour.
Any IQ app that goes on an 520 to make pace targets viewable?
My target is actually sub 1 hour with the road bike in standard trim.

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    I use the standard Lap Summary screen that comes with the Garmin, but more to look at during recovery intervals rather than whilst I'm chewing the stem. There are probably some more customisable ones though in Connect IQ but make sure you test it before the race as they can be buggy.

On that note, I don't have to tell you that being overly distracted in a TT by your Garmin isn't ideal...
  • jgsi
    Even worse, have created pace notes from Best Bike Split and taping them to the top tube ;-)
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    There's a Garmin screen for that too... (IQ one called Race Notes or something)
  • jgsi
    You need to connect via the phone app to the 520 to the brain, to get it working.
    I've broken it down into just 8 sectors , to have a fighting chance of a sub 1 hour, but if the weather doesnt play ball, then no chance basically.
    I used someone else's speed and power profile off Starva last year... they must have been really slippery.. a lot less power but just 2 seconds off the hour.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Another option which I like is to use live segments on Strava, and then it's "just" a case of keeping an eye on whether you are ahead or behind on time. Saves having to split up into sections or think too much about target power/speed u which I find works much better especially when you are on the limit.
    You'll need to favourite the course in segments and then follow someone who has a time you want to match, set the computer to display time vs who you are following rather than the KOM...
    If I do fall off the pace then I switch to a page with lap data rather than watch the time difference creeping up :-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    thanks for the reminder - got a 26ml TT this weekend - no chance on under the hour (it's hilly-ish) - but I'd like to do faster than last year.
  • jgsi
    I've decided upon division of the course into 8 sectors (4 out/4back) , hit the lap button at each course point (if I remember) and hopefully match whats on the pacing strip of paper.
    I dont know if the 520's virtual rider set at 25 mph will give me room for optimism, if I flick to that screen and see myself 1/4 of a mile off the pace.
    At least with a 7 40 off time, I have the rest of day as my own. One of the plus points of testing.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ah - the disadvantage of the hillier course - I can't just split it into equal sectors ... however, having done a quick analysis of last years ride I can see that I was putting out less watts from the 1/2way point (after all the hills) so I think I just need to be a bit firmer with myself. Should help that I haven't got a 12hr trip the day before this year :)
  • jgsi
    Well the course just sucked the life out of me, so any power /speed targets became irrelevant. Still managed to get under VTTA standard time though, but just unable to put any fluency in the ride down. It was an honour to tough it out on the only road bike. Only 28 riders broke the hour.