FAO V68 - gig alert

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Mouth wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Which gig might you be going to Mouth?

Nottingham, but I'm due to be working that weekend and I've already accounted for all my holidays. I might be able to pull some favours but wont really know until much closer to the time.
    Just checking in case we bump into you, but no chance there are we're going to the one in Islington.

I reckon tickets will sell well after a 20-odd year gap.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Not quite the same but I've been given a ticket to see the Bunnymen at the Albert Hall tonight, can't see the Macc Lads playing there.
    The only other time I've been to the Albert Hall was in 1983 when I saw the Bunnymen there, I was only 15 then.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not quite the same but I've been given a ticket to see the Bunnymen at the Albert Hall tonight, can't see the Macc Lads playing there.
    The only other time I've been to the Albert Hall was in 1983 when I saw the Bunnymen there, I was only 15 then.
    Albert Hall? That's a bit mainstream for a bunch of Goths.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Bunny men goths. You are having a laugh.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

They were doing Ocean Rain with an orchestra in Albert Hall back in the mid 80s.

Let me know how this is, tempted to see them in Brizzle, pretty much 3x the age I was last time I saw them (and I'm even older than Veronese).
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    They filled it in '83, not sure about now. Apparently they played it again in 2008. As Webboo says, definitely not goths. Back then it was long coats, fluffy hair and a bit moody. But then we were teenagers.
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    They were doing Ocean Rain with an orchestra in Albert Hall back in the mid 80s.
    Let me know how this is, tempted to see them in Brizzle, pretty much 3x the age I was last time I saw them (and I'm even older than Veronese).
    Will do, assuming I don't drink too much and forget.
  • Stevo_666
    Webboo wrote:
    Bunny men goths. You are having a laugh.
    McCulloch looked like a goth.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    See above.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Nottingham, but I'm due to be working that weekend and I've already accounted for all my holidays. I might be able to pull some favours but wont really know until much closer to the time.
    Just checking in case we bump into you, but no chance there are we're going to the one in Islington.

Depends which room they play - basement is about 150 cap, rescue rooms 450 and main room about 1000. If they sell really quick they might move it up, and alternatively move it down if a poor uptake. I saw Rival Sons in the 450 room when it was downgraded a few years ago. They were great.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Stevo_666
    Mouth wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Depends which room they play - basement is about 150 cap, rescue rooms 450 and main room about 1000. If they sell really quick they might move it up, and alternatively move it down if a poor uptake. I saw Rival Sons in the 450 room when it was downgraded a few years ago. They were great.
    We saw them once at Hammersmith somewhere and once at The Fulham Greyhound - a bit of a dodgy pub that had beer garden furniture indoors and nailed to the floor to stop people chucking it :)
  • veronese68
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I enjoyed that with a couple of irritations. Venue is too big, would have been much better somewhere a bit smaller. Couldn’t make out most of what he said between songs. Someone near the front was heckling him and he was getting quite stroppy. Ended with mumbling scouse swearing, quite funny at times but I think it put McCullough in a mood.
    Played a lot of new stuff early on but enough of the old stuff as well. Glad I went so I’d say go for it.
  • Mad_Malx
    ^Cheers Veronese. Booked tickets, and they are supported by Jesus and Mary Chain (maybe a bit too similar), and Peter Hook.
    Downside is that it is an open-air venue.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^Cheers Veronese. Booked tickets, and they are supported by Jesus and Mary Chain (maybe a bit too similar), and Peter Hook.
    Downside is that it is an open-air venue.

Went to the bunnymen gig last night. Venue was on Bristol waterfront which was good on a beautiful evening.
    Missed most of Peter hook, which was a bummer. Think he must have started around 7pm and a short set. He's no Ian curtis , but music was probably the best of the night.
    Jesus & Mary Chain mixed - they finished up with three more rock- orientated numbers that didn't do it for me.
    McCulloch's voice was croaky and he abandoned one song half way through. mainly old stuff.
    Enjoyed it but seeing an audience of club 50-65 (and I'm right in the middle of that) was a bit depressing. Maybe I'll see them again after another 37 year gap.

McCulloch's hair is now more fitting for a (almost) 60 year-old, and deff not Goths.
  • veronese68
    Bloody hell Stevo,
    We need to sort out another one I've just seen how old the last post is.
    Saw the Alabama 3 in Brixton on Saturday, very good. Support band was the Ruts. That's the second time I've unexpectedly seen them live.
  • Stevo_666

Bloody hell Stevo,
    Saw the Alabama 3 in Brixton on Saturday, very good. Support band was the Ruts. That's the second time I've unexpectedly seen them live.

I wish I remembered seeing the Ruts...we were slightly the worse for wear after drinking that deadly nightshade cider in the pub down the road from Kentish Town Forum.

This will be my Xmas research project.
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Bloody hell Stevo,

I wish I remembered seeing the Ruts...we were slightly the worse for wear after drinking that deadly nightshade cider in the pub down the road from Kentish Town Forum.

We'll report back in the new year.
    Ruts were good on both occasions. Did I mention I got a ticket to see the Who in a nightclub in Kingston? Local record shop organises gigs and get some pretty big names every now and then https://banquetrecords.com/events
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Bloody hell Stevo,

We'll report back in the new year.
    Ruts were good on both occasions. Did I mention I got a ticket to see the Who in a nightclub in Kingston? Local record shop organises gigs and get some pretty big names every now and then https://banquetrecords.com/events
    No, but that's pretty impressive. My mate Ron is a massive Who fan and would be dead jealous of you.
  • Stevo_666
    Might be worth keeping an eye on tours in '21 for this lot:
    https://loudersound.com/features/the-damned-punks-old-dogs-pick-up-ferocious-new-tricks
  • veronese68
    What!?! An actual gig, in a building, with other people? Wow!
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2020
    Well I did say in '21 - maybe...they're on my hit list of 'must see before they die'.
  • veronese68
    Definitely up for that, it just sounds so decadent in context of this year.
    Met Rat Scabies a few times, turns out he was at school with a few guys I know.
  • Stevo_666

Pretty sure it won't happen this year. And we'd have to be pretty quick booking as I reckon they'll sell out sharpish. Patience needed....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 said:

Pretty sure it won't happen this year. And we'd have to be pretty quick booking as I reckon they'll sell out sharpish. Patience needed....
    Damned tickets for Summer '21 selling for £140+ - that's damned expensive...

In the meantime here some light relief - pity we'll ever see them.
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/ramones-new-years-eve-rainbow-live-footage-1977/
  • veronese68
    That's really Damned expensive, I'd rather see a decent covers band in a smaller venue.
    Ramones would have been something, the downside of us being so young 😂
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021

That's really Damned expensive, I'd rather see a decent covers band in a smaller venue.
    Ramones would have been something, the downside of us being so young 😂

Too right :smile:

One of the best gigs I ever went to was a triple tribute night down at the 100 Club - Clash, Sex Pistols and The Ramones and they were all great tribute acts. Tickets cost £13 so we spent the savings on cider at the bar :smiley:
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    £140 for the Damned!!!
    FFS, since when did punk become so expensive?
    More cloned shite in the vein of the Clash, supposed men of the people, but really corporate shills.
    Luckily, the godfathers of American West Coast punk, The Circle Jerks play that thar Laaandahn in August, all things willing, for the paltry sum of £30.

Following the Circle Jerks gig, it's a long weekender out in Slovenia for Punk Rock Holiday 2.0 for £120!
    The Damned, good as they are, should hang their heads in shame.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Cargobike said:

£140 for the Damned!!!
    More cloned shite in the vein of the Clash, supposed men of the people, but really corporate shills.
    Luckily, the godfathers of American West Coast punk, The Circle Jerks play that thar Laaandahn in August, all things willing, for the paltry sum of £30.

Following the Circle Jerks gig, it's a long weekender out in Slovenia for Punk Rock Holiday 2.0 for £120!

It was a good 15 years ago now, but I went to a festival in Portugal where it was about £90 for 3 days, included sets from The Cure, Muse, Echo and the Bunny Men amongst others and the weather was glorious. Plus the food and beer was cheap. You can certainly get better value abroad for gigs.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Cargobike said:

£140 for the Damned!!!

I reckon its just the Damned making a comeback and everyone's gone mad over it.

Usually pay around £20-£40 in London for punk bands. That includes the Pistols a few years back. Luckily I saw the Damned once when I was just out of uni, definitely cheaper then otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it!
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Cargobike said:

£140 for the Damned!!!

It was a good 15 years ago now, but I went to a festival in Portugal where it was about £90 for 3 days, included sets from The Cure, Muse, Echo and the Bunny Men amongst others and the weather was glorious. Plus the food and beer was cheap. You can certainly get better value abroad for gigs.
    I reckon some of these festivals are better value than gigs, even in the UK based on what l've seen.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I've obviously been spoilt.
    Having seen Minor Threat for the princely sum of $5, paying £140 for the Damned seems a tad expensive.