surface corrosion on rs81 wheels

speshsteve
speshsteve Posts: 352
edited June 2018 in Road general
Due to a few crashes and shoulder ops for the past 2 years I have been on the turbo trainer. I've decided that I need to risk it again and get out (at least for the summer) however the bike has somewhat suffered being used on the trainer due to my sweat!

The components have suffered however my front wheel has born the brunt most. In one section a couple of inches of the wheel shows corrosion of the steel brake surface rim (surface only) and the carbon rim has also reacted and the lacquer has lifted.

In light of my past crashes I'm a little paranoid of having a mechanical and just wondered if anyone has had any issues with corrosion on a carbon/alu rim wheel. My thoughts are its just superficial however any thoughts greatly appreciated...can corrosion of the type I've described cause an rs81 type wheel to fail?
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2
Giant TCX
Canyon Grandcanyon 29er

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    shimano wheels like this are renowned for having the surface lift on the carbon sections especially in damp places (like my old garage for example).... as for the oxidation/rust, give the wheel a clean up/ service. its probably superficial.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Your brake tracks are aluminium, but there's quite a lot of it. I'd clean it up as best you can and ride the things.

Photos might help