Can a triple replace a double crankset? Boardman FS Team

epickard
epickard Posts: 7
edited May 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
So i've bought a boardman fs frame 2012 with the intention to switch all my nice XT parts across to it.

Original spec states:

Chainset: FSA Comet 42/27T
Front Mech: SRAM X7
Gear Shifters: SRAM X7 2x10
Number of Gears: 20
Rear Mech: SRAM X7

But I've tried to fit a Shimano Hollowtech triple which fits in the bottom bracket, but the small looks ring does look cramped\tiny against the adjacent suspension Arm.

I'm also planning to add a Shimano XT triple front mech with XT rear mech and shifters.
Which again the the little cog on the cassette looks mightly close to the suspension arm.
Should I go all Sram parts?

Am I trying to do the impossible?

Does a Boardman only work with a double crank ?

All help appreciated!

Big thanks in advance.
Ed

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No idea about MTB stuff but on my road bikes a Shimano triple has spacers each side whereas the doubles have none.

Check Shimano Tech Docs for the triple chainset you're trying to install. Exploded View (EV) may show spacers, and the Dealer manual should tell you about installation in different BBs
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chain,one should be the same with SRAM.

That said mighty close......as the old adage goes a miss is as good as a mile!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.