MTB tires

fixerupper
fixerupper Posts: 32
edited May 2018 in MTB general
OK newbee alert , I rode a MTB for the first time today , I picked up a second hand Rockhopper , for not much money to buzz about the hills around here ...visit my olive trees veg plot and wine grapes ...The bike seems very good it's been well looked after and it rides well on tarmac ... however it's got slick tires, and the tracks around here are stones ,rocks dust and boulders ,and some are steep ...so what does the hive mind think? is fatter always better ? tubeless or not ..I'm in town on Wednesday ...I will see what available in Cretan bike shops.(.if not it's order online and wait for them :( ) so ant advise is welcome ....are there any Rockhopper fans who can suggest a date for this bike it must be 10 years old at least ...here is a photo...thanks from a Newbee in Crete....

FPKuqjSe_o.jpg

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Asking for tyre advice is like asking for your favourite jam, you will get n replies, each one different

You don't mention how much you want to spend, I like schwalbe rocket ron foldable but a pair of these probably cost as much ad you paid for your bike.

To be honest any set of cheap knobly tyres, 2.1 in wide will be sufficient and much better slicks.

Tubeless is your choice, I have tubed and tubeless, but for some inexplicable reason favour tubes.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It’s a 2005 model, I think.

Put a pair of Specialized Ground Control 2.1 tyres on it (or 2.3 if they will fit) and you’ll be sorted. I wouldn’t bother with tubeless until you have used the bike for a while and know you will be keeping it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • fixerupper
    Thanks for that guys, yeah I know I need to ditch the slicks, even though they are almost unworn .I don't mind spending a bit the bike is well worth what I paid( €100.).I need to have a look and see what is around here tire wise 2.3 's sound good and I think I come down in favour of tubes.... :D
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    2.3's might be a squeeze with that frame. 2.1's would be fine.

I've had 5 Rockhoppers and think they are great. That bike looks like a steal for €100. Well done!

I've always used Panaracer Fire XC Pro's 2.1. Really good all-round tyres. They also do a tubeless version (if you have tubeless rims).
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    BillyCool wrote:

I've always used Panaracer Fire XC Pro's 2.1. Really good all-round tyres. They also do a tubeless version (if you have tubeless rims).

Good choice. No nonsense, light (the folding ones) and ceratinly better than what you have. They run fast on tarmac too. Wire ones can be picked up super cheap.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • fixerupper
    More newbee questions .( I am sorry this is a steep learning curve I wish I could just pop to my old bike shop in the UK )..I just measured my sunrims DS2 -XC and they are 23mm outside ...is that a bit small for the continental 2.4's that I bought today wont fit ...? I don't know what the inside measurement ,I have not yet removed the slick 1.40's 'cos the bike shop I went too did not have any of the correct tire levers :shock: ...(so I ordered some on line )....and while I was measuring I found the lower rear wheel stays have only a 75 mm gap is that a bit tight for the 60 mm tyres? front forks and upper stays are 80mm ...I think I should have got the 2.2s...wad do ya think ...
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    fixerupper wrote:
    More newbee questions .( I am sorry this is a steep learning curve I wish I could just pop to my old bike shop in the UK )..I just measured my sunrims DS2 -XC and they are 23mm outside ...is that a bit small for the continental 2.4's that I bought today wont fit ...? I don't know what the inside measurement ,I have not yet removed the slick 1.40's 'cos the bike shop I went too did not have any of the correct tire levers :shock: ...(so I ordered some on line )....and while I was measuring I found the lower rear wheel stays have only a 75 mm gap is that a bit tight for the 60 mm tyres? front forks and upper stays are 80mm ...I think I should have got the 2.2s...wad do ya think ...

See my comment above ref 2.1's.

23mm outside could be about 18mm inside, so you might be a bit limited - by rim size and frame space.

Seriously - 2.1's are fine. Mine have done Bike Park Wales, Cwmcarn, Afan and the Peaks.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Stick to 2.1 and you'll be fine.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • fixerupper
    Yeah I know I asked for advice and then ignored it ..It is to do with what is available over here, not a massive selection of tires ...the guy had some 2.2's but they looked very cheap ..there were the same price as the conti Xking's 2.4's that have had good reviews ...
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    If tyres have not been fitted then take the. Back for narrower pair, 2.1 is very common and plenty wide enough, having a deeper tread will be much better even if thinner than 2.1