Frightend to get on my bike

Peatsteve
Peatsteve Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in MTB beginners
Hi guys I'm just looking for advice I'm 40 years old and 26 stone I'm really wanting to get back on a bike but so paranoid in
1 people laughing and taking the biscuit
2 just help lol
3 what bike do I buy? for taking the weight and comfort

10 years ago I cycled everywhere and now really just scared and paranoid .. And yes I'm another Steve peat lol

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Well done for wanting to get out and do something.

If you were out riding 10 years ago, what's happened in between?

People will point and laugh - we live in a cruel world. Ignore it all and go have fun.

Can't give you any specific help on the right bike(s) as I know a lot of them claim maximum rider weights.

As has been said, if you want to lose a little, then the whole food/diet thing also matters.

Get a bike and go have fun!

PS - the only caveat is that it might be good to speak to your GP if you've not done anything like this in a while. I've got no idea if you have a medical history that may need to be considered.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    1. Ignore people. People are stupid. Do whatever makes you happy.
    2. Cycling alone won't help. You need to diet. You can out eat ANY amount of exercise.
    3. What about those Fat Bikes ? They look pretty sturdy with those wheels.
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    What those guys say^ Go find the right bike and enjoy life - haters gonna hate - those of us who matter will support you!

I saw a facebook post a while back that was along the lines of "taking the pi$$ out of a fat guy at a gym is like taking the Pi$$ out of children getting an education in school". I wouldnt care for one moment what others think.

With regard to bikes be careful with full suspension (namely rear shocks) Im 18st and on the upper limits of the sensible operating range of pneumatic shocks (they need higher pressures to hold the sag but then due to the higher pressures they can be quite stiff) - it seems that a lot of heavier riders get on much better with a correctly specced coil spring.

Perhaps a cheaper hardtail to begin with?

Good luck.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Fuck what people think. This is your health and happiness. If you carry on like this mate you will die like that. I say this as someone who was 160kg and is now 120kg.

For the most part people are very supportive, you occasionally get the odd arsehole but I'm not doing it for them I'm doing it for me so you shouldn't give a toss what people think.

What kind of budget do you have for a new bike? Bearing in mind that at your weight you will need something relatively sturdy.
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    I’m with everyone else Steve s0d what people think anyone you see on the trails etc
    Would applaud you , but as one poster said check it out with your doc first
    And take it steady to start
    Enjoy and laugh back at the p1ss takers they soon go else where
    Tom
    Whoops who did that!
  • Peatsteve
    Peatsteve Posts: 3
    thanks for your support guys
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    To end bike tend to be aimed at racers who are fit but more importantly light, sub 80kg.
    So avoid carbon fibre frames.

Choose a strong bike, without rear suspension and cheap, once you are down to 110 kg, you can treat yourself with a much better bike.

As said, it will be a tough journey, not only due to the ridicule you may face but having to limit food intake.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Do it, Steve.
    You will get stared at and comments may well be made but ignore them. You are riding for you, not them.
    It will be tough to start but within a few weeks you will feel much fitter and healthier.

Check out Fat Lad at The Back for clothing and join their FB group for positive encouragement.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get something sturdy to start with like a Carrera Subway (basically an MTB with rigid forks and set up as a hybrid) or Voodoo Marasa (similar), start with short rides and try and ride frequently, only up the distance once you know you'll recover for the next ride, no point doing a long ride and not being able to ride again for a few days, aim to ride a little bit further/faster each time.

As above, you can't just ignore your diet, you need to look at reducing the intake of the worst things first.

As you ride more and get fitter and loose weight you'll have a better idea of what suites you.

Read up on Gary Brennan 'the 39 stone cyclist', he came to these forums when he started, he had a blog (can't view whats still there through the Co. firewall) and there is this article - he was starting in a much worse place than you! http://road.cc/content/news/43805-gary- ... mpic-torch
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mtbleague
    mtbleague Posts: 6
    Actually Mr Pete, more experianced of us are in awe of someone like you as we know how hard it can be and what it takes to get fit again.

Please take the above advice and if you do hear any adverse comments, deal with as you see fit, nobody will see you as being in the wrong, its just the tw4ts that made them we would be sorry for as they can't do anything about it, where you can, good luck.
  • Where are you based?
    Always found it helped if you have a riding buddy to suggest new routes. Part of getting back on the bike is to vary your routes to keep things interesting. If you can find somewhere with some nice scenery, it might inspire you to do some exploring.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Are people really going to laugh at you such that you notice? Personally cyclists are supportive of other cyclists IME and motorists or pedestrians are mostly going along at different speeds so one of us is going faster than the other so comments tend to get lost by you not being where the hater made the comments. I might be wrong or just one of those ppl who aren't aware when others are being critical.

Actually I think I am someone who doesn't notice haters comments. Selective deafness. Besides I enjoy cycling. I'm usually in the moment and the only things I hear are my own heart pounding away and the road noises I need to hear to be safe. In another world so to speak.

Bike choice? Hmmm! No idea. Have you visited many bike shops? Ask their advice? Hardtail or rigid hybrids might have frames strong enough for heavier riders but what about the wheels? One solution could be to contact a reputable wheel builder to build up suitable replacement wheels. Something with 36 spokes might be good but I'm no expert.

Save money on your first bike then save up as you lose weight until your weight is low enough to not be a consideration when choosing a bike. Then buy a reward bike using the money saved up while getting there. Treats for reaching major goals are good.

Did I say to ignore any negative comments. It's a hundred times more positive when an overweight cyclist is out there putting the effort in to improve their health than all the higher category racing snakes speeding past you IMHO.
  • RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    Peatsteve wrote:
    Hi guys I'm just looking for advice I'm 40 years old and 26 stone I'm really wanting to get back on a bike but so paranoid in
    1 people laughing and taking the biscuit
    2 just help lol
    3 what bike do I buy? for taking the weight and comfort

10 years ago I cycled everywhere and now really just scared and paranoid .. And yes I'm another Steve peat lol

I wouldn't worry about people laughing - whenever you cycle, you're doing something positive, and, if you start going to trail centres, everyone tends to be really friendly, and much more interested in WHAT you're riding, rather than what you look like.

I'd recommend a routine of gentle, aerobic exercise as often as you can fit it into your lifestyle, and a low-fat, high-protein diet. Also, don't eat too many complex carbohydrates before riding, so your body will be forced to burn off fat.

Also, look for places to ride which aren't going to totally exhaust you - canal tow-paths are quite good, because they're dead flat, and there's not much traffic on them...

And, how about joining a gym, as well? The more you exercise, the more endorphins are released into your blood, and the better you will feel.

Good luck achieving your goals! :D