Mounting GoPro on aerobars

Andymaxy
Andymaxy Posts: 197
edited June 2018 in Road general
Hey guys, just got into racing not too long ago. I'm really enjoying the races, so I wanna get a GoPro and record them. There's a slight problem with my bike because it's a canyon aeroad and with all of its aero bars and aero seatposts, I don't know where to mount the GoPro. Ideally I want to mount on my bike rather than myself. Any advices?

I don't think my helmet is suitable for the job either as its quite bumpy if you know what I mean, is a strap to my chest the only option?

Comments

• benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Saddle rail mount? Not sure the chest strap would work well on a road bike
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    If you have non-integrated handlebar, you could get a stem extension mount
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You don't say where you are racing - but if you are racing in the UK,it's not allowed.
    BC technical reg 10.4
    The use in competition of cameras attached to riders, cycles or helmets is prohibited, unless previously authorised in writing by the BC Board.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah you'd get DQ'd. Basically they don't want people distracted by turning their camera on or off when they should be concentrating.

You could tape a little keyfob style camera underneath your bars - that might slip through - but quality isn't as good and you might still get DQ'd....
  • Andymaxy
    Fenix wrote:
    Yeah you'd get DQ'd. Basically they don't want people distracted by turning their camera on or off when they should be concentrating.

You could tape a little keyfob style camera underneath your bars - that might slip through - but quality isn't as good and you might still get DQ'd....

No here in the US, half of the field rides with GoPro on their bikes, or helmet.
  • Andymaxy
    mamil314 wrote:
    If you have non-integrated handlebar, you could get a stem extension mount

It definitely is integrated
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    If it's the aero cockpit like this http://road.cc/content/news/143331-first-look-canyon-aerocockpit-cf-integrated-handlebar, then an adhesive mount https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/mounts/curved-plus-flat-adhesive-mounts/AACFT-001.html in the middle where bar and stem meet would be ideal.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Andymaxy
    If it's the aero cockpit like this http://road.cc/content/news/143331-first-look-canyon-aerocockpit-cf-integrated-handlebar, then an adhesive mount https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/mounts/curved-plus-flat-adhesive-mounts/AACFT-001.html in the middle where bar and stem meet would be ideal.

Thanks a lot, I actually think this is pretty good idea, hopefully removing it isn't too bad.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

No here in the US, half of the field rides with GoPro on their bikes, or helmet.

We'll look where they mount them then...simples!!!
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

We'll look where they mount them then...simples!!!

99% of them use a handlebar mount, I've made it clear that's not happening because I've got aero bars
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As an aside, why do you want to record them? Are you honestly going to sit there and watch 3 hours of you riding a bicycle down a road?

It's like home videos (not those sorts .....) - always seem great at the time but you never watch them again as they are soooooo dull.

Some things are best left to the cerebral memory banks.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    99% of them use a handlebar mount, I've made it clear that's not happening because I've got aero bars[/quote]

So, you have aero bars and you want to stick a camera on thus negating the aero design? I don't get it.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    K-Edge Splayd. Will fit your Garmin as well as your Go-Pro.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/K-Edge ... lsrc=aw.ds

Had the non Go-Pro version on my (integrated aero bar) Endurace before I swapped over to a Wahoo

K-Edge-Wahoo-Splayd-Combo-Mount-For-Integrated-Carbon-Bar---Stem.jpg
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    As an aside, why do you want to record them? Are you honestly going to sit there and watch 3 hours of you riding a bicycle down a road?

It's like home videos (not those sorts .....) - always seem great at the time but you never watch them again as they are soooooo dull.

Some things are best left to the cerebral memory banks.

Surprisingly, I agree with you on this point. :lol:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    It’s like POV filming, 99% is wasted on anyone but the user and it’s highly unlikely that the remaining 1% is any good unless you’re a pro skier or something.

FWIW I use a GoPro:)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Unless you crash. And then we will all watch.